The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Genelec 8040 VS 1030
Old 21st July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaby987 View Post
I have to say though, if you like 1000 series Genelecs, it's hard to like anything else.
I was afraid of hearing this!
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

11bit - it seems that you strongly prefer the 1030 over the 8040, so why not just sell your 8040s and buy some used 1030s? They go for about the same price on eBay so you can solve your problem easily. I just bought a like new pair of 1030s for $1,350.00 to use as back ups in case my 18 year old pair finally fails on me. I see 8040s selling for more than that - you could walk away with cash in pocket. Cheers,
Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
11bit - it seems that you strongly prefer the 1030 over the 8040, so why not just sell your 8040s and buy some used 1030s? They go for about the same price on eBay so you can solve your problem easily. I just bought a like new pair of 1030s for $1,350.00 to use as back ups in case my 18 year old pair finally fails on me. I see 8040s selling for more than that - you could walk away with cash in pocket. Cheers,
Not only I prefer the 1030 but I’m confident that they are superior monitors. The problem is that the 1030’s was in the product line from 1994 (or maybe 1991) till 2004 and it’s not easy to find a 2004 model in good condition. Bear in mind that they have been some changes in their design during that period. The 1030’s that I sold have been manufactured in 2004 and they were really singing!
Anyway, I’ve bought the 8040’s six months ago for 1850€ (pair), still I’m unable to sell them. If I sell them, then I have to find a pair of 1030’s in good condition ideally from 2004, not an easy task if you ask me.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Like I have said before, Genelec HT are 1xxx series renamed, so HT206 are the same as 1030 but with an extra unbalanced rca added.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was at an Avid event the other day here in Dallas, and I took notice that the studio used 1000 series monitors all over the place for near fields. In fact, the Avid guy used 1030's for the demonstration. Now they could have just been some monitors in house that were easy to use, but the fact that he used them and didn't insist on something else says a lot.
Old 2nd August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bit View Post
That’s like comparing apples to oranges… ATC scm25’s cost 8.500€ while 1030’s cost 1.500€ (when they were available).
I know, but I wasn't really comparing them, was I?

Quote:
But since you have worked extensively with 1030’s it would be very interesting to know how the mixes you made with 1030’s translated to scm25’s. Did you hear any flaws? Any mistakes that the scm25’s revealed?
My old mixes translated VERY good to the ATC's. I never really had to have a "training" period to get used to the new sound. It was just..there. Since I had worked for so long with the 1030's, I had learned their flaws and limitations, so I had probably developed a way to work around those issues. What happened when I got the ATC's was just that everything sounded so much clearer and fuller. Both width and depth-wise. The details were astounding in comparison. Suddenly, a shaker sounded like shaker in an exact location in a room, and not a jar filled with gravel all over the place
But apparently the 1030's had served their purpose well, because there were no apparent surprises to be found in my mixes when I upgraded. Only an improved and more revealing listening experience, which makes mixing so much more fun and smooth nowadays.

Quote:
By the way, since you have worked with almost all models from the Geneelc 8000 series, what do you think about 8040?
I despise the 8040's. I have NO idea of what I'm doing on those. They're just a gritty and undefined mess.
They're like looking at a 'Where's Waldo' painting, and whenever you're certain you've found Waldo and you try to focus on him, the painting shifts and Waldo moves. But..I know a lot of people uses 8040's, so, to each his own obviously.

/dB
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Different strokes and all that, I couldn't stand 1031s or 1029s at all (I haven't used the 1030s), but love the 8040s and 8050s (and prefer the Focals to both, though). The bass/low mids take a little getting used to, but once I did I never had any problem figuring out if mixes were in the pocket, and I always found the 8000 series to be very forgiving of different acoustic environments. It might be down to different musical styles, though; I don't do straight-ahead rock.
Old 4th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I was at an Avid event the other day here in Dallas, and I took notice that the studio used 1000 series monitors all over the place for near fields. In fact, the Avid guy used 1030's for the demonstration. Now they could have just been some monitors in house that were easy to use, but the fact that he used them and didn't insist on something else says a lot.
To me it's no surprise, simply place the tight and fast 1030 next to flabby and undefined 8040 and there's not much to think about. 1030's have born winners.
Old 4th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldhrimnir View Post
My old mixes translated VERY good to the ATC's. I never really had to have a "training" period to get used to the new sound. It was just..there. Since I had worked for so long with the 1030's, I had learned their flaws and limitations, so I had probably developed a way to work around those issues. What happened when I got the ATC's was just that everything sounded so much clearer and fuller. Both width and depth-wise. The details were astounding in comparison. Suddenly, a shaker sounded like shaker in an exact location in a room, and not a jar filled with gravel all over the place
But apparently the 1030's had served their purpose well, because there were no apparent surprises to be found in my mixes when I upgraded. Only an improved and more revealing listening experience, which makes mixing so much more fun and smooth nowadays./dB
This pretty sums up everything and proves that 1030's were "THE SPEAKERS". I had the same experience when I checked my mixes in cars, clubs, radios, barefoot micromain27 and focal sm9, no flaws, no surprises. Genelec 1030's are great speakers and really working in the studio.
I have to admit that for some years I was a bit biased about these speakers because many people were complaining that they were flattering or inaccurate, etc. But as I said all my mixes sounded great on other sound systems, and only when I bought the 8040's I realize how invaluable the 1030's were!

Quote:
I despise the 8040's. I have NO idea of what I'm doing on those. They're just a gritty and undefined mess.
They're like looking at a 'Where's Waldo' painting, and whenever you're certain you've found Waldo and you try to focus on him, the painting shifts and Waldo moves. But..I know a lot of people uses 8040's, so, to each his own obviously./dB
I know exactly what you mean. Can you explain how this company took such a different direction from 1000 series and made such a terrible speaker/series?
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Guys, I'm selling my 1030's if anyone is interested. They are listed in the classified section. I really hate to part with them but I have some other studio purchases I have to make and well, I already have a solid pair of monitors.
Old 20th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Guys, I'm selling my 1030's if anyone is interested. They are listed in the classified section. I really hate to part with them but I have some other studio purchases I have to make and well, I already have a solid pair of monitors.
Hey bigbaby where is your location? US, Europe? Also do you remember what year you've bought these speakers?
Old 23rd August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I also used to have 1030s for years...Did good things with them...No problems there...

When the 8040s came out, I tested and loved them... Everything sounded so good. I instantly sold my 1030s and bought 8040s...There the problems started... I used to do lots of mobile recording back then and I carried my Gens with me...The 1030s seemed to be fine in almost everywhere while the 8040s seemed to have problems everywhere...The scooped mids thing (if you ask me) is the fault of the monitors, not rooms they are in...I used mine in many rooms, some of them being acoustically treated, some not that much...The problems with mixes not translating as they should, kept repeating...Guessing in the lowend, guessing in the mids...High mids (presence) being left spiky since the spikes didn't irritate me in 8040s like they do on many other speakers and headphones.

8040s are great for music listening but not that much for mixing... Everything sounds good on them, even crappy demos that bands have recorded themselves on rehearsal rooms sound much better than in other systems...That's exactly the problem...Many mixes felt complete already although they still were not there. After struggling with 8040s for several years, I sold them and bought Focal Twins... My mixes got better but the Twins weren't quite for me. Didn't like the lowend (a little bit weak), didn't like the presence (somehow too forward for my taste).. I changed to Adam S3Xs...Things got _MUCH_ better, of course the price difference is also huge...Mixed on Adams for 4 years. Mixes translated much better but I had to guess on the levels in the middle, like BD, snare, vocals.

I ended up testing new Amphion speakers (also made in Finland like Gens). For the first time in my career, I'm confident with everything. Mixes translate very well, no need to use additional speakers (used to use Avantones and headphones to check things)...The only thing in which I use headphones now is to check the "sub low", things under 40Hz.

On the way I've been recording and mixing with Gens every once in a while. In Gen range I like 1031s the most but for me they also feel a little bit mid scooped although compared to other Gens I've used (1030, 1029, 8040, 8050) they are more than fine.

Each to his own..As a mixing engineer, I could never return to Gen world...As a music listener wanting everything to sound good, I could.
Old 23rd August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They're like looking at a 'Where's Waldo' painting, and whenever you're certain you've found Waldo and you try to focus on him, the painting shifts and Waldo moves. But..I know a lot of people uses 8040's, so, to each his own obviously.

/dB
Classic description of less than useful monitors.

This seems to be the ultimate 'never buy monitors without trying them first' thread.
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
11bit.. I'm in Dallas, TX. I actually bought them in 2005 I want to say. I was the second owner, but they (at the time) seemed practically new. Let me know if you're interested. I don't mind world wide shipping as long as buyer covers cost.
Old 2nd September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
11bit.. I'm in Dallas, TX. I actually bought them in 2005 I want to say. I was the second owner, but they (at the time) seemed practically new. Let me know if you're interested. I don't mind world wide shipping as long as buyer covers cost.
I'm afraid this will not work, I'm in Europe, shipping will be high plus probably import and clearance taxes.
Why you're selling your 1030's? I thought you were very satisfied with them.
Old 2nd September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
11 I love those monitors. I just don't have room and need other pieces in the studio. So.... why not? they've served me extremely well.
Old 3rd September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
11 I love those monitors. I just don't have room and need other pieces in the studio. So.... why not? they've served me extremely well.
I understand... a friendly advice though, please make sure that you're absolutely sure about this sale. I can honestly say that I'm pulling my hair out since I've sold 1030's and bought 8040's... a living nightmare. 1030's are REALLY working/translate when mixing with them, and this makes them a invaluable tool. Since I've bought 8040's I have to do a ritual before mixing and pray to hear things right in other systems.
Old 4th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrane View Post
I instantly sold my 1030s and bought 8040s...There the problems started... I used to do lots of mobile recording back then and I carried my Gens with me...The 1030s seemed to be fine in almost everywhere while the 8040s seemed to have problems everywhere...
Tell me about it !

Quote:
The scooped mids thing (if you ask me) is the fault of the monitors, not rooms they are in...I used mine in many rooms, some of them being acoustically treated, some not that much...The problems with mixes not translating as they should, kept repeating...Guessing in the lowend, guessing in the mids...High mids (presence) being left spiky since the spikes didn't irritate me in 8040s like they do on many other speakers and headphones.
Can’t agree more. The scooped mids I think it has to do with the general sterile/dry character of the speaker. It sucks the life of the sound out! Still can’t figure out how this company took such a different approach from 1000 series and designed such a terrible new line speaker (8000 series).

Quote:
I ended up testing new Amphion speakers (also made in Finland like Gens). For the first time in my career, I'm confident with everything. Mixes translate very well, no need to use additional speakers (used to use Avantones and headphones to check things)
I never heard this brand but I just checked amphion after your positive comments. The problem is that all their speakers are passive and I don’t want to go into a passive system. Trying to match an amp to speakers could be tricky, also not handy when you recording on the run.
I have to admit that their UDD technology sounds very interesting! Is this really working or is it just marketing fanfare?
Old 12th September 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
11bit,

hope you don't feel too devastated, but if the difference you hear is so big between your old 1000 series and the new 8040 then maybe it is worth your time to measure your room? The data that genelec provide for the 1032B and 8040B show that the frequency response is quite similar.
Possibly the scooped mids you are hearing are due to some reflections from your desk?
Old 12th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
8040s are great for music listening but not that much for mixing... Everything sounds good on them, even crappy demos that bands have recorded themselves on rehearsal rooms sound much better than in other systems...That's exactly the problem...Many mixes felt complete already although they still were not there.
Amazing. I bought the 8040s for the opposite reason. I checked them out in a store, and nearly everything sounded awful on them. Ugly – Except for the tracks that were mixed REALLY good .. what do you know. I thought that was quite an invitation to grab a pair. That was about a year ago, and I'm happy with them and how they translate. And I would never want to casually listen to music on these speakers, they're not pleasant, compared to something like a BM6A. Strange how experiences differ.
Old 18th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
11bit,

hope you don't feel too devastated, but if the difference you hear is so big between your old 1000 series and the new 8040 then maybe it is worth your time to measure your room? The data that genelec provide for the 1032B and 8040B show that the frequency response is quite similar.
Possibly the scooped mids you are hearing are due to some reflections from your desk?
Unfortunately for me I feel very devastated by 8040’s. I feel like I wasted my money and more importantly I’ve sold my trusty and invaluable speakers (1030A) to get 8040’s.

Anyway, I have a treated room which the 1030 was singing while the 8040 is very undefined. I have already cut the desk reflections with the -4db switch @ 160Hz), if I leave all the switches flat the 8040’s sounds horrible, mid frequencies are masked and bass is heavy.

Public specifications are useless as a fellow stated somewhere in this thread. Believe me, if you ever have the chance to listen the 1000 series you’ll immediately realize the difference.

By the way, 1032 is a completely different beast compared to 8040. 10” bass driver vs 6.5”, bigger cabinet, etc.
Old 19th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sell your 8040s and buy a new pair of 1030 aka ht-206 ... problem solved.
Old 19th September 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Geez, we get it. You hate the Gens. I think there is more to your disdain than you are letting on. Very suspect.
Old 19th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkcarrillo View Post
Geez, we get it. You hate the Gens. I think there is more to your disdain than you are letting on. Very suspect.
Actually you’re wrong. I love the forward/in your face sound of Genelec, but only for their older models (1000 series), that’s why I worked with them for 10 years.
I wouldn’t say that I hate the 8040’s (as you put it), but surely I feel very frustrated since I’ve bought them as their sound is very peculiar/sterile and they don’t carry anymore the old characteristic sound of Genelec which made them famous worldwide.

As you can see I’ve sold my 1030’s and moved to 8040’s (same brand, I stayed loyal to Genelec) hoping to be an upgrade in my productions. Unfortunately they only introduced a big gap in my work.

By the way, what do you find suspicious in my post detective vkcarrillo? I was only answering to “[email protected]” suggestion. Is that OK with you?
Old 30th September 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I have already cut the desk reflections with the -4db switch @ 160Hz), if I leave all the switches flat the 8040’s sounds horrible, mid frequencies are masked and bass is heavy.
The reflections from desk I was talking about will not occur at 160 Hz, but rather somewhere around ~1kHz (depends on the distance between your monitor, desk and listening spot), so probably that is where you get your scooped mids.
Also, according to genelec, each surface the 8040A is close to, will give you a +6dB bass boost. Maybe try moving/readjusting your studio around and you might get better (or worse ) results! Just measure a couple of frequency response curves to get a better understanding of whats going on
Old 2nd October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I have both 1031s and 8040s and while they sound different, at the end of the day I don't feel that either is easier to mix on.

So during the day I'm on 1031s (and my ears are very confident with them) but at home I'm on 8040s, and, perhaps surprisingly, there's little guesswork between them.

Another thing to keep in mind is the 1030 effect - where EVERYTHING sounds good through them.
Too many contradictions in your sayings, you confused me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
There's more high end detail in the 8040s (which is often referred to as 'too bright'), and I do understand the scooped comment (though I don't feel that it's necessarily a detriment) but in practice, after getting over the learning curve

But the learning curve is the key. And so is calibration. They may not be ideal out of the box and some fine tuning might be required.
I bought a new pair of 8040s about 40 days ago and still I haven’t adjust to them. I agree, they definitely need calibration, when all switches are set to flat they sound muddy like something is damaged inside the speaker. But after calibration they sound clear! But they also sound too bright just like you mentioned. In my room the following combinations are working.

1. Bass Tilt switch: -2db & Desktop LF switch: On. But they sound bright as I said.

2. Desktop LF switch: On [all other switches flat], the high frequencies sound right, but the bass is a bit heavier and the midrange is a bit shy.

3. Bass Tilt switch: -2db [all other switches flat], the high frequencies are a bit lower than I would like.

The first combination I think it’s the best option for my room but they sound brighter than I would like. It seems that no combination is perfectly right for my room and it’s hard to accept.

Might if I ask what combination you are using in your speakers? I understand that since every room is unique different calibration is needed, but I’m just curious.
Old 6th October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmy View Post
Amazing. I bought the 8040s for the opposite reason. I checked them out in a store, and nearly everything sounded awful on them. Ugly – Except for the tracks that were mixed REALLY good .. what do you know. I thought that was quite an invitation to grab a pair.
in the beginning i was thinking exactly the same thing, but after some period i realize that almost everything sounds bad on them

Quote:
That was about a year ago, and I'm happy with them and how they translate.
my mixes translate very bright on other speakers. have you checked your mixes in many systems?

Quote:
And I would never want to casually listen to music on these speakers, they're not pleasant, compared to something like a BM6A. Strange how experiences differ.
two friends of mine have adam a7x and they are very pleasant when mixing or listening, they translate very good also. i dont think you should fight with your speakers when mixing or mastering.
Old 16th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastereq View Post
in the beginning i was thinking exactly the same thing, but after some period i realize that almost everything sounds bad on them
But I'm saying the same thing, and I like them for that reason.

Quote:
my mixes translate very bright on other speakers. have you checked your mixes in many systems?
I find that treble, nasty treble in particular (depending on the source/sound) can become obviously painful quickly on these speakers, so I tend to end up making things to DULL sounding. I do check on several systems, but most importantly I don't use the Genelecs exclusively .. I mix on different speakers at the same time. The 8040 + 2 different pairs of book-shelf speakers and a Behritone.

Quote:
two friends of mine have adam a7x and they are very pleasant when mixing or listening, they translate very good also. i dont think you should fight with your speakers when mixing or mastering.
I believe you, and you might be right. Then again, if you have to fight your speakers a little to make something sound brilliant .. could be a good thing.

Anyway, you can get used to any speaker and make cool mixes on them is what I believe. And what I really WANT is pair of Barefoots
Old 21st January 2020
Here for the gear
1030 vs 8040

Quote:
I want to express my personal experience with Genelec’s 8040B and 1030A and possibly prevent other people from having the same huge disappointment.

I was using the 1030A’s the last 10 years and I was a very satisfied with them. The only thing that bothered me was that I wanted a bit more information on the low end as the 1030’s frequency response is 55 to 18.000Hz.
So I sold them and I felt it was natural to move with the same brand on their latest top model 8040B. Boy, how wrong was I?
After purchasing the 8040B I had nothing but troubles! From day one they sounded muddy-bass heavy, I mean flabby and undefined on the low end. On the contrary, 1030s were super tight on the low end and very well defined.

Another weak point of 8040s is that their midrange sounds mute-scoop, like there is always curtain in front of them. Also I’ve read in many threads that the 8040s sound sterile and I’ll have to agree with that, they sound very dry.
The only areas that 8040s are dominating the 1030s is that their tweeters are a lot smoother, not fatigue after long sessions, and also their stereo image is exemplary, much better than the 1030s.

Bottom line is, after 5 months I’m unable to mix correctly with 8040s, especially on the low end. I’m unable to compress and EQ properly, and it’s so hard to make the right decisions as the bass frequencies are muddy like dough.
All these months that I’m working with 8040 I was unable to “FEEL” the music, never get the “Vibe”. With 1030s it was always exciting working with them !

Now, before anyone claims that 8000 is a step up to 1000 series or that the 1000 series was flattering, hyped, inaccurate, etc, bear in mind that all of my mixes/tracks with 1030s translated extremely well, almost perfect on various systems like cars, hi-fi stereos and various clubs. I’ve also checked many tracks of mine in two professional studios, one with Barefoot micromain 27 and the second with Focal sm9, on both studios my tracks sounded awesome, with no flaws at all.

Now whatever I mixed on 8040s translated awfully on other systems, and I think it’s logical as I never felt comfortable to make the right compression and EQ decisions.

From a design point of view I think they are amazing, very futuristic and obviously ahead of its time, especially if you consider that they came out on 2004. But sonically I would put them along with speakers worth 200 to 300 euro each, not because they sound bad, but because they just don’t work!

Last but not least, I didn’t start this thread to condemn or bash Genelec and the 8000 series. I know many people swear by them as they say that their mixes translate great, although I really wonder how?
I was a huge fan and supporter of Genelec the last 10 years and I was praising 1030 and 1031 wherever I was. I had nothing but positive comments for their speakers. But not anymore, I’ve learned the hard way that a successful model/series is not certain that it’ll be updated with the same success, even from a pro established company.

So, if anyone’s using the 1030s and thinking to move on with 8040, please make sure to listen to them at your audio dealer or better in your studio if you can. Otherwise you might be unpleasantly surprised! Personally I find that 1030s and 8040s are worlds apart!
I could not agree more with you ! You describe exactly what my view is too.
It took me a lot less time thugh thanks heaven to realize that the sound is dead and so unclear. Sorry Genelec but what were you actually thinking?
Old 27th June 2020
Gear Head

Allow me to add my experience to this thread.

I had been mixing on Yamaha HS7s since 2014, and always noticed an awful 200Hz hump whenever bringing the mix elsewhere.
I learned to compensate for that, and my instrumentals started coming together nicely, though the mids were tough to dial in.

I recently began mixing vocals again and just could not get things right with the HS7s and my room.

I have 8010s that I love, and thought the 8040 would be a good step forward.

Then I read this thread...

So, I wound up getting a NOS set of 1030A, and a 7060B sub-woofer.
I also got a set of 8040B to audition.

I set up the 1030As (sans-sub, no dip-switches engaged) and listened through the problem mix.
They showed me each and every issue I heard on other systems outside the studio all at once.
After taming, tucking, and smoothing, everything fell into place -a perfect car listen.

Then I plugged in the 8040s, which my reference material sounded heavenly on.
When I put my problem mix on those, everything was in a "mist"...
The problems were there, but... where? I couldn't get an exact cue.

I tried to mix on them anyway, but in the car, problems remained.

So, I kept the 1030A mix, and put up the 8040s to master the next day.
Now that was a treat -all I had to do was get the song sounding beautiful, and it translated perfectly.

So, in my experience, 1030A are great tools for mixing individual parts together, 8040 is for finishing.

Could you use the dip-switches on the 8040 to make them sound like the 1030A when needed?
NO. A resounding, "no".

So for me the 8040 just makes everything seem more glued together, like a cake that's been baked.
1030A shows you the individual ingredients along with the mess in the kitchen.

I plan to use both in the way I described.
2 mixes and 9 masters so far, and I get a smile on my face on each listen, across every platform.

Adding the sub is the cherry on top, but you can do great things without it, if you aren't into bottom-heavy music.

-Adam.

Last edited by AdamIEcho; 27th June 2020 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Typo
📝 Reply