The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bernard Edwards, of CHIC!
Old 7th November 2006
Here for the gear

Bernard Edwards, of CHIC!

HEy dudes, i really love Bernard Edwards of Chic, and his sound! I was wondering if u guys know wot amp he used? i know he has this weird figerstyle technigue, whereby he holds his fingers together, like holding a pic, but doesnt use a pick! so he strums!

It looks quite painful! I know he used a Musicman BAss

Cheers, chris
Old 7th November 2006
Lives for gear

There's a great in-depth interview (with Nile Rodgers I think) somewhere on the net.

Could have been sound-on-sound?

not much help I know!

My wild guess: an Acoustic amp like Jaco used?
Old 7th November 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Live pic, so it could be meaningless, but there's a couple of Trace Elliot heads back there.

I used to own one. I think everyone did in the Eighties.

A lot of guy's live rigs are totally diff. from their studio deal.

Be careful. I know Trace is still in business, but will the Eighties amps sound anything like the new ones?
Attached Thumbnails
Bernard Edwards, of CHIC!-nard96.jpg  
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Live pic, so it could be meaningless, but there's a couple of Trace Elliot heads back there.

I used to own one. I think everyone did in the Eighties.

A lot of guy's live rigs are totally diff. from their studio deal.

Be careful. I know Trace is still in business, but will the Eighties amps sound anything like the new ones?
I know someone who has one of those Trace amps. They're really sweet. One of the best bass amps I've ever heard.
Lives for gear

I would bet he was using Jazz Bass and Stingray Musicman in DI, in something like an MCI desk and a nice 2' tape recorder.

It's all in the fingaz

regards
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lurk View Post
I would bet he was using Jazz Bass and Stingray Musicman in DI, in something like an MCI desk and a nice 2' tape recorder.

It's all in the fingaz

regards
Not an MCI desk, but rather a Neve 8068 desk at the Powerstation NYC. The mention of a Neve 8078 in the SOS article, (which in some ways is quite a different console) is probably a typo.
Lives for gear

Lets not forget playing with a pick.
Lives for gear

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?...torycode=15598

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?...torycode=15914

Part 1 and 2 out of the October 06 issue of Bassplayer magazine in regards to the late Bernard Edwards.
Here for the gear

Cheers fro the help! i have got both issues of bass player with him in! and i will try and maybe get a trace elliot amp!

Btw wot acoustic amp did jaco use then?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk_bass_boom View Post
Btw wot acoustic amp did jaco use then?
mostly an Acoustic 360 once he was rollin' and Jaco was mostly always rollin'.

'Nard is the MAN!!!!!!!!

I just love those galloping octave bass lines that swing and sing and it was a real tragedy to lose such a talented innovator so early. I think he was only 46.

He and Tony Thompson were one of the best funky rhythm sections.

long live Bernard Edwards!
Gear Maniac

Bernard was one of the grooviest bass players ever. I love his tone and feel.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarembo View Post
mostly an Acoustic 360 once he was rollin' and Jaco was mostly always rollin'.

'Nard is the MAN!!!!!!!!

I just love those galloping octave bass lines that swing and sing and it was a real tragedy to lose such a talented innovator so early. I think he was only 46.

He and Tony Thompson were one of the best funky rhythm sections.

long live Bernard Edwards!
He sure is the man, dude! yeh Tony Thompson is dead 2, it sucks! He is a great drummer, my drummer adores him, and says he got in2 drumming cos of him! Awesome! Btw the is the brand name of that amp Acoustic, cos i think i have played thru one of those amps?
Lives for gear

Yes... that's the brand!
Lives for gear

wow !
I had no idea Tony had passed--

What a shame.

If I ever want to pick my mood up I just put on Chic's "Dance, Dance, Dance", and those percolating hi-hats and the galloping bass line just make me smile

YOWZAH YOWZAH YOWZAH

I had the chance to play through an old Acoustic 150 or something with a big ass cabinet and that thing was a loud slab of bad bidness!
Gear Nut

It was all his fingers. He didnt use a pic. There was a video(YouTube) of his solo on "Everbody Dance" ( U can see what i mean about no pic)
As far as sound, Nile said mostly direct through Avatar Studios` D. I.`s
Jerry
Lives for gear

I Want Your Love sure sounds like a pick as do a few other songs. The attack and the approach. I used to do the cover thing many many years ago for extra cash. I Want Your Love with a pick sounds like the performance. That 's what it sounded like when I learned it and played it. Not only the sound but also the way the part was played. If my memory serves me I remember seeing an old picture of Benard playing a PBass with a pick live. I've also seen him w/ a BC Rich and of course Music Mans.
I was truly bummed out when I heard he passed. Anything he played he put his stamp on.
Lives for gear

From the Bassplayer magazine listed above:

Rodgers explains: “Bernard was a guitar player before he played the bass, but the last thing that he wanted to be was a bass player who used a pick. So he played with his forefinger and thumb, like he was holding a pick. He’d strike the string with the bottom and top of his finger. The strength of the low end comes from his thumb on top and the other three fingers curled up underneath, so he had the fattest pick you could ever imagine!” Bear in mind that it takes considerable time to build up the strength necessary for this technique. As Nile warns, “Bernard’s fingers would often bleed. If we played a two- or three-hour show, the blood would be dripping down the bass! But he was used to it; that’s how he played.”
Lives for gear

Man it would be great if Bob Clearmountain would chime in. He has recorded him at least a few times!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybarnesbass View Post
It was all his fingers. He didnt use a pic. There was a video(YouTube) of his solo on "Everbody Dance" ( U can see what i mean about no pic)
As far as sound, Nile said mostly direct through Avatar Studios` D. I.`s
Jerry
Hey Jerry - imagine running into you here. Thanks for the tip, and here's a direct link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TicuyhN7UYs

That's an awesome performance!

--Ethan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
From the Bassplayer magazine listed above:

Rodgers explains: “Bernard was a guitar player before he played the bass, but the last thing that he wanted to be was a bass player who used a pick. So he played with his forefinger and thumb, like he was holding a pick. He’d strike the string with the bottom and top of his finger. The strength of the low end comes from his thumb on top and the other three fingers curled up underneath, so he had the fattest pick you could ever imagine!” Bear in mind that it takes considerable time to build up the strength necessary for this technique. As Nile warns, “Bernard’s fingers would often bleed. If we played a two- or three-hour show, the blood would be dripping down the bass! But he was used to it; that’s how he played.”
just more proof that YOU are the sound--
not your instrument, not your amp, none of that really.
just you and your bleeding fingers!

RIP Bernard
Lives for gear

What's with the weird edit after the "bap shewap" pre-verse 2 section?

Never noticed that before!

This is a mimed performance, so I guess its actually on the recorded version
Lives for gear

I'll have to give it another listen and report back.

Last edited by zarembo; 7th November 2006 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: no one wants to read my trashy posts about jugs and cocaine
Old 8th November 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I read an extensive article years ago (probably in the old REP Mag).
He said that he used an Ampeg B-15 amp in the studio along with a Urei DI.

Chic was one of the best rhythm sections EVER. A lot of people who got caught up in the "DISCO SUCKS" movement may have missed them... but they were more R&B Funk than disco...

The song "Good Times" launched a new era in music for better or worse...
The Diana Ross album, the Sister Sledge stuff.... listen to the bassline on "We Are Family"... THAT is amazing to me... I don't know how he developed it!

Their last few albums were commercially unsuccessful and on the eccentric side, but there were some INCREDIBLE grooves.... Listen to the bass solo on "Stage Fright", followed by one of the funkiest 1-note guitar ostinatos you will ever hear. Nile Rodgers had "the STROKE"!!

It saddens me that music like this is gone forever since rhythm sections no longer get together and jam.
Lives for gear

Well you can't any closer to the source than Nigel. That technique must be what I saw in those pictures. Killer attack.
Lives for gear

How about that article where Nigel and Bernard were denied entrance at a club, then went home and wrote 'Le Freak' that night, only the chorus that they were singing was 'Fu*k Off' instead of 'Freak Out' (they were pissed that they were turned away at the club). Anyone have a link to that?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
How about that article where Nigel and Bernard were denied entrance at a club, then went home and wrote 'Le Freak' that night, only the chorus that they were singing was 'Fu*k Off' instead of 'Freak Out' (they were pissed that they were turned away at the club). Anyone have a link to that?
I think you told the story pretty close to how I remember reading it.

Now what about getting Nile Rodgers on here as a guest mod?

Probably never happen but I think his production style is the sh*t!

b52's Cosmic Thing
Madonna Like a Virgin

etc, et. al.
Gear Nut

Yoooooo! Ethan!!!!!
Hey there!
I also saw me , Omar Hakim & Nile on YouTube under( jerrybarnesbass solo)
Its Chic live from the Montruex Jazz fest 2004. How do i attach a YouTube link to a post?
Anyway, i told Nile that when i was a kid I thought Disco was corny( after listening to EWF& Sly and such), But the bass & guitar lines!!!! (of Chic)Oh my god! I practiced and learned those lines from the very beginning of my bass experience.
.......off the subject, Ethans Bass Traps really helped my studio!
Jerry
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarembo View Post
I think you told the story pretty close to how I remember reading it.

Now what about getting Nile Rodgers on here as a guest mod?

Probably never happen but I think his production style is the sh*t!

b52's Cosmic Thing
Madonna Like a Virgin

etc, et. al.
David Bowie - "Let's Dance"
Diana Ross- "Updside Down", "I'm Coming Out", etc
Gear Guru

Jerry,

> I also saw me , Omar Hakim & Nile on YouTube under( jerrybarnesbass solo) Its Chic live from the Montruex Jazz fest 2004. <

I'll go look for that.

> How do i attach a YouTube link to a post? <

In Windows I just copy the URL from the address bar of Internet Explorer and paste it into a message here. I think YouTube makes it even easier for you, giving you an address to copy right there on the page.

> But the bass & guitar lines!!!! (of Chic)Oh my god! I practiced and learned those lines from the very beginning of my bass experience. <

And just look where it got you.

> Ethans Bass Traps really helped my studio! <

Thanks, man!

--Ethan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Here it is:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr0...ssictracks.htm
📝 Reply