The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do you mix your drum stereo perspective? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsd View Post
I've always used the drummers perspective method, but then again drums were my first instrument.
Drums were my first instrument as well, so I could never get used to audience perspective!
A few years back in another audio forum, it was stated that most records are mixed with drums audience perspective, so I tried it for a hunch.
People seemed to like my mixes better, but maybe it was just because I was getting better.
I switch back and forth now, I really don't think it matters to 98% of the people who will listen to your mixes.
Good luck!
Old 6th November 2006
Lives for gear

I mix it the way it was tracked with an ear twards narowing the kit a bit.
that said, I make sure it sounds good too.

I like drummers perspective if the kit was tracked with a rear stereo pair. period, if there was no rear stereo pair, I cant do it, its sounds like trying to reverse engineer a girls throught process, its painful and not worth it. OTOH, I like the rear pair, when mixing AUD perspecive too. so its really dependant on where the drums need to sit in the song, and if there are a slew of crazy tom fills and/or stereo chimes.
Old 6th November 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F_H_13 View Post
To me this is a mute point...especially because....what happens if the drummer is a lefty?? Then his audience perspective with sound like drummers perspective to everyone else.
i love this idea - just MUTE the drums - there - no panning issues.
Ben
Old 6th November 2006
Gear Addict

drummers perspective always. sounds natural to me.

It really bothers me when one album has some songs panned from audience perspective and others from drummers perspective. Thats the only time it stands out to me as something being wrong.
Old 6th November 2006
Lives for gear

Rule #1: Tom rolls must move from left to right.
Old 6th November 2006
Gear Nut

I think lots of folks like to visualize themselves playing the music they are listening to. I always mix drummer's perspective.
Old 6th November 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the input, I never realized the drummers perspective was so popular.
Old 6th November 2006
Lives for gear

High hat on the left, unless it's a live show with video, then I do it audience perspective.

Steve
Old 6th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
High hat on the left, unless it's a live show with video, then I do it audience perspective.

Steve
yeah... i've done a couple live records (without video) audience perspective as well, 'cause the room mics were that was (of course).

good point.

--jon
Old 7th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco View Post
audience perspective

a good reason is music videos. Ususally if they show the drummer it will be from the audience perspective, and the sound should be panned the same way as the visuals

narco
Good point, that's something I never thought about.

I've been in the habit of asking the drummer if he or she has a preference. If they look at me with a blank stare I'll pan audience perspective.

Some drummers are insistant about drummer perspective.

-- Adam Lazlo
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search