The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dawmer DS201 vs Aphex 612
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Dawmer DS201 vs Aphex 612

Well, it looks like I just bought a bad DS201 off of evilbay. My question is should I get another Drawmer or should I go for the Aphex 612?

I really like using this thing for pumping real drums into it for that really "fake/processed" effect. (Think sharp D&B).
Old 24th April 2014
Gear Addict

I had both the Drawmer 201 and the Aphex 612. The Drawmers are fine, and a standard. However, the Aphex is probably more transparent, and have a few extra features to boot. However, everybody used the Drawmer, so they seem to have achieved favored status.

I listed both for sale. The Drawmer sold, but I didnt get any inquiries in the Aphexes. They are just as good (maybe better?), but the Drawmers became the standard. Never had an issue with either. If you are interested, I've still got 4 channels of the Aphex I'd sell (don't use them anymore).
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob61 View Post
I had both the Drawmer 201 and the Aphex 612. The Drawmers are fine, and a standard. However, the Aphex is probably more transparent, and have a few extra features to boot. However, everybody used the Drawmer, so they seem to have achieved favored status.

I listed both for sale. The Drawmer sold, but I didnt get any inquiries in the Aphexes. They are just as good (maybe better?), but the Drawmers became the standard. Never had an issue with either. If you are interested, I've still got 4 channels of the Aphex I'd sell (don't use them anymore).
I pmd you. Let me know
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

I've also had Drawmer and Aphex gates. The Drawmers are indeed more known for some reason, but I've always found the Aphex units to sound better (more transparent) and be more reliable. Gating behavior and features just as good or better as well. Just about every Drawmer I came across had issues... no longer have any. I still have a few Aphex units though... built like tanks, never a problem. I have the 622s. Excellent gates. Probably the best outboard gates you can get, short of going truly "hi-end" like API etc. On that note, the API 235L gates are truly killer and are what get used around here the most. SSL gates aren't too shabby either.
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

As a dealer for both, the DS201 was the gold standard for vocal gates...the Aphex was better on drums.
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

I the trick of the drawmer was variable attack speed; super fast attack will actually mess up LF transients like kick. You need to slow speed down for LF sources, speed it up for HF sources.

Brad
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

Well, I got a chance to work with the Drawmer ds201 and the Aphex 612. I have to say that the Aphex unit is awesome! I really did like it better then the Drawmer unit.
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear Addict

I prefer the sound of the drawmers over the aphex.
Old 4th May 2014
Drawmer vs Aphex

I have owned both - pros and cons with each. I would agree that the Aphex gates do sound more transparent than the Drawmers, but I didn't like something about the top end...couldn't put my finger on it, but it sounded a little plastic to me. The Drawmers are definitely darker sounding, with a little more weight to the sound; if that's not your cup o tea, then Aphex should work for you. I ended up keeping the Drawmers, and they work very well for drum stuff, which is where they end up being used....you do need to fiddle with attack time on lower end sources - sometimes, that's tough to get right - but that
was true of the Aphex as well, in my experience....
Old 5th May 2014
Lives for gear

If you need several gates it may be worth it to look at the Aphex module version of the 612 with their 9000 series, the 9611 Gate unit (like today's 500 series type modules). You can often find them for $75 each or less. They also made a newer 9621 Gate module with front key jack (a little different feature set) but I prefer the older 9611 with it's separate high and low cut.
Old 6th May 2014
Lives for gear

Drawmer also makes a 500 series 101 gate with front panel key input and adjacent channel optical linking:
TransAudio Group - DS101
So there are multiple choices in this.
Brad
Old 6th May 2014
Lives for gear

Aphex also has a new 500 series Gate/Comp module. The OP said he did some auditioning and prefered the Aphex 612 (4 days ago), the reason I suggested the 9611 is it's the same circuit as the 612, only in module form and if you need a lot of gates makes more sense to look at since you can find them with 9000 series rack & power supply at such a low used price. Auditioning all the posibilities as Brad suggests is still best practice.
Old 4th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Drawmer 201 is excellent. Very low noise.
I had problems with Aphex because they are noisy if you don't insulate from the rack screws.
I had to put these:
Humfrees Rack Isolation Tabs | Sweetwater.com

About sound. Aphex and Drawmer sound amazing both.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear