The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastodon "Blood Mountain" - bass tone
Old 1st November 2006
Gear Nut

Mastodon "Blood Mountain" - bass tone

Anyone else love the bass tone on this record? It fills out the low end in a really consistent way regardless of if he's playing higher or lower notes, and it stays even between the clean and distorted tones too. Hey Matt Bayles, if you happen to catch a glimpse of this thread would you might giving a little insight as to the source and chain?
Old 1st November 2006
Gear Nut

I love this albumn!

In fact for some strange reason it was featured as the soundtrack to my dreams last night, wierd!
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear Maniac

hey there,

i remember most of our signal path, but I am going to look at the documentation to make sure what I post is accurate.

so until tomorrow.....or the next day.....
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Heard a bit of this the other night at a Halloween party. Almost **** myself when someone told me it was Mastodon. I must buy this today.

If you havent heard The Cornbugs yet, check it out. Crazy funny ****. The psycho blonde haired dude from Rob Zombies movie is the singer. tutt
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubedude View Post
Heard a bit of this the other night at a Halloween party. Almost **** myself when someone told me it was Mastodon. I must buy this today.
There are only a handful of CD's that both the girlfriend and I think are amazing and Mastodon is one of them.

I am sooo angry I missed them live. I had to wait for my "friend" to come w/ my ticket and he was late. Missed the whole set. Well at least they sounded amazing through the closed door of the venue.

Them are some CRAZY toms!
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattct View Post
hey there,

i remember most of our signal path, but I am going to look at the documentation to make sure what I post is accurate.

so until tomorrow.....or the next day.....
Cool man..that would be great.
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear Addict

such a talented and creative group of musicians. i was fortunate enough to see them live in a VERY small venue here in Albany when they were touring for "Remission" (also a great record), and it was so cool to see them in such an intimate setting, although i had actually never heard them before, so i don't think i appreciated it as much as i would now. can't wait to get the money to actually buy the new one. we got it in at the library where i work, so i was able to take it home for a few days, and it is a pretty amazing album.. i was at FYE last night and they had a special addition w/ a bonus "making of blood mountain" DVD, so i'm thinking (hoping) there'll be some cool studio footage in there.

looking forward to some info about this!

-ryan
Old 2nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled_Brains View Post
such a talented and creative group of musicians. i was fortunate enough to see them live in a VERY small venue here in Albany when they were touring for "Remission" (also a great record), and it was so cool to see them in such an intimate setting, although i had actually never heard them before, so i don't think i appreciated it as much as i would now. can't wait to get the money to actually buy the new one. we got it in at the library where i work, so i was able to take it home for a few days, and it is a pretty amazing album.. i was at FYE last night and they had a special addition w/ a bonus "making of blood mountain" DVD, so i'm thinking (hoping) there'll be some cool studio footage in there.

looking forward to some info about this!

-ryan
There's plenty of studio footage on youtube.com.
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled_Brains View Post
i was at FYE last night and they had a special addition w/ a bonus "making of blood mountain" DVD, so i'm thinking (hoping) there'll be some cool studio footage in there.
There's some cool studio footage, but it's mostly them being sarcastic and nerding out, which is awesome.
Old 3rd November 2006
Gear Maniac

here we go...

Instruments - his mainstay Fender Prophecy II, which we had worked on by a local luthier to repair some of the wear and tear, and a Godlyke 4 string bass.

Amp - Mesa Big Block 750
Cab - Ampeg 8x10, Mesa 4x12 bass cab, and a Mesa 2x15
Pedals - Troy has a fuzz pedal that was made by someone in Atlanta and it is just a silver box with three knobs. It is what he uses live and we used it on Leviathan as well as Blood Mountain. We also used a black Big Muff for an alternative to that fuzz pedal.

I used a 421 and a B&K 4011 on the cabinet (usually the Mesa 4x12 into Studio Litho's API console with 560's for eq and an Alan Smart C1 for compression. I used a Little Labs PCP distro for the DI. If I were going to mix the record I would not have bothered with the DI, but I felt I should give the mixer that option if they wanted to reamp and get a different flavor than the fuzz.
Old 3rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattct View Post
here we go...

Instruments - his mainstay Fender Prophecy II, which we had worked on by a local luthier to repair some of the wear and tear, and a Godlyke 4 string bass.

Amp - Mesa Big Block 750
Cab - Ampeg 8x10, Mesa 4x12 bass cab, and a Mesa 2x15
Pedals - Troy has a fuzz pedal that was made by someone in Atlanta and it is just a silver box with three knobs. It is what he uses live and we used it on Leviathan as well as Blood Mountain. We also used a black Big Muff for an alternative to that fuzz pedal.

I used a 421 and a B&K 4011 on the cabinet (usually the Mesa 4x12 into Studio Litho's API console with 560's for eq and an Alan Smart C1 for compression. I used a Little Labs PCP distro for the DI. If I were going to mix the record I would not have bothered with the DI, but I felt I should give the mixer that option if they wanted to reamp and get a different flavor than the fuzz.
Awesome, thanks.
Dont have blood mountain yet, but I am absolutely in love with the sound of the Isis records, and I made sure to read the threads about Oceanic
Appreciate the insight into what you do.

-D
Old 3rd November 2006
Gear Head

Thanks for that, Matt. Leviathan and Blood Mountain are easily my favorite metal albums in recent memory. Keep up the good work.
Old 4th November 2006
Gear Nut

Thanks Matt for all the info. I had actually never heard of the 4011 before, just started reading up on it. Probably the most expensive sd condenser I've seen. Great job on the record. Sounds amazing. I noticed that the toms are tuned really well too. They ring out nicely.
Old 4th November 2006
Gear Maniac

it's now sold as the DPA 4011. they are on the transparent side of the spectrum, which can work for some applications and not for others.
Old 4th November 2006

Yeah kudos to B & K /DPA --- That mic is amazing --- gives a very true 3D representation of the tone hitting it.

A producer I worked with once used them on drums O/H and a raging Selmer 50 watt amp >>> 2 x 12 for crunchy overdriven bass.
Old 4th November 2006
Lives for gear
Totally awesome album,.. Mastodon just get better and better - and maintain that heavy ass sound, but with every CD you just get it clearer and clearer!
Old 10th November 2006
Lives for gear

I bought it tonight. Gave it a semi listen but started falling asleep since I was listening on Hd580's lying on the bed in the dark. Albums like this take a little while to either grow or make me turn my nose to it.

I must say, even though this is a BASS thread, that snare sounds yummy. Very much so. Lots of room in it, it seems.
Old 7th December 2007
Here for the gear

am i the only one...

that hears overloading distortion on some passages?. i mean the beginning of hunters of the sky... it's not a keyboard distortion, it's a overload distortion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search