The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Expensive Power Conditioner Synchronisers/Clock Generators
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Head

Expensive Power Conditioner

Anybody uses Shunyata Research, Equitech, Monster or Furman hi-end Power Conditioners or even Custom-made Power sources for your studio gear?

How are these compared to the other peers and how much it had benefited your gear and mixing?
Old 15th April 2014
Depending where you live, power conditioners can be helpful or not. I tried the monster and in my studio I heard a slight but noticeable improvement in the depth and sound of my monitors. They only cost a couple hundred dollars so it was a good investment for me.
Old 15th April 2014
Gear Head

Hi JR, thank you for the inputs.

I'm actually looking at Shunyata Research...

I've a friend who bought a Shunyata Research for his Hi-Fi and I compared the before and after effect.. It's pretty impressive. Seriously, I can immediately recognize the clean signal path from the amplifier to the 805, just like what you mentioned in your post. I've used quite a couple of Furman conditioners and it doesn't seem to improve anything but regulating the voltage.

I'd really like to know if there are any Mastering Engineer or Studio Engineer who would very much swear by the Power Conditioners / Sources employed in their lab / studio.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could give me more insights.

I strongly believe in having second to none power source but I do not have that much money to burn trying those hih-end stuff...

Thank you in advance...
Old 15th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simoniz View Post
Hi JR, thank you for the inputs.

I've used quite a couple of Furman conditioners and it doesn't seem to improve anything but regulating the voltage.

Thank you in advance...
I found the same thing with the Furmans I looked at. I tried the Monster and was going to move up to Equitech if it was the same as the Furman. However with the multiple filters they had, it made enough if a difference that I did not look further to the higher end units. Good luck
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Maniac

I have a couple Furman Elite 15pf I've been happy with. I got them to effectively be sacrificial items to the awful electrical supply where I lived, and if they'd had negligible effect on the sound I would have been happy. To my pleasant surprise however, they did make imaging somewhat wider and deeper, and substantially reduced background noise.

Having said that, I'd expect current Shunyata products to sound better. My Furmans replaced a couple of low-end Shunyata conditioners that are no longer made. The Shunyata's sounded more organic, but not nearly as quiet, and I believe Shunyata's current models use much better filtering and protection. They're also substantially more expensive.

If I were doing this over again today, I'd probably also take a look at Balanced Power Technologies' products, since the price of the Furmans has increased quite a bit since I got mine.
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Head

I've used Furman on many occasion, live and studio, and IMHO, it didn't work well for me. It broke down a couple of times and also at times, would introduce noise and worse still, slight 'buzz' on guitar rigs. I bypassed the Furman and well, everything was back to normal.

While I totally trust that most power conditioner would help in terms of regulating voltage and power filtering, I'm kinda wary when using Furman. Well, I've heard good results from folks using them but probably the 'yin and yang' between Furman and me just don't work.

Thank you for the input, Decompress. I'll try the Furman Elite 15pf when I have a chance.

Thank you!!!
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Head

Sorry... Not just guitar rigs, probably anything that gies into it. But well, to my encounters, guitar rigs are usually the one giving me issues when coupled with a Furman...

Hope you guys know what I'm driving at...
Old 16th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
Depending where you live, power conditioners can be helpful or not. I tried the monster and in my studio I heard a slight but noticeable improvement in the depth and sound of my monitors. They only cost a couple hundred dollars so it was a good investment for me.
You are fooling yourself
Power conditioners cannot change anything to do with sound quality
Period,
If you know anything about electronic and electrical power engineering,
Then you would realize that the couple of hundred bucks you spent,
Could have been spent elsewhere.
Its audiopholery at its best...power conditioners, its a scam.
Old 16th April 2014
Gear Head

I see.... But seriously, I do experience cleaner sound as opposed to normal wall warts.

So you'd tap your power from just anywhere as long as it's safe?

A good input, indeed...

Can you please elaborate on your point? I'm really curious...

Thank you, S2udio!!!
Old 21st April 2014
Gear Head

Any answers?

Thank you!!!
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear

the power grid is different from place to place.. in new mexico power can drop to 78 and spike up to 120+ .. it killed a couple of computers of mine in the 90's... power conditioners (esp ones w/battery bu) maintain a steady stream of regulated power which may save your gear / computers etc in the long run.. especially if you live where the power is not as steady as one might like.

power conditioners feed your gear steady power for long life... i do not believe it effects the sound unless it is eliminating a buzz or dirty power that was effecting the overall system.
Old 23rd April 2014
Gear Head

Thank you for sharing, dabigfrog!!!

I guess, as long as the voltage stays between a range of ± 3 volts, the power should be usable? Yes, I'd agree to that, however, that doesn't equate to 'clean' power as most of you know. In the event that the power is not so 'clean', would there be a chance that it will introduce interference to the signal path in the circuitry? While EMI will greatly affect RF, I believe that power conditioner will kinda 'affect' the sound as in the ideal environment, the entire power signal path will be working at its fullest. So in a way we perceive the 'sound' as cleaner and most significantly the 'hissing'(in a layman's term) dropped.

I am no engineer or technician with Electrical Engineer Degree or PHD, but I would very much like to see the technical explanation of 'why power would not affect the sound quality'.

Pardon me if I have sounded blunt or stupid.

Thank you for all inputs!!!
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

I moved from two Monster Pro3500 (discontinued) to Furman 1800 AR & three Pl Plus DMC units connected to the 1800 AR. I noticed the noise floor dropped compared to using the Monsters. The voltage regulator also helped reduce the heat my converters generated. The Aurora & Bombers no longer get as hot as they used to with long hours of operation. I had fluctuating voltage (128-133) so going with a voltage regulator was crucial for me. If my place had 120-125, I really wouldnt have bought a regulator.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear
I am planning to get the best one I can get my hands on when investing in the Eclipse 10M combo.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search