The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Most accurate keyboard amp for real piano sound
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Keyboard amps are a sham. They’re basically PA systems that look like guitar amps. They’re heavier, have lots of resonances, and are less efficient than a good PA system of a similar price and size.

A good PA speaker is by far your best option. A good 15” PA speaker will sound good, have enough bass extension, and be as loud as a drum kit if required. With a 12” you’ll sacrifice some bass but the off-axis sound might be a bit clearer.

Depending on your budget, stuff by JBL or Yamaha might be a great choice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
Keyboard amps are a sham. They’re basically PA systems that look like guitar amps. They’re heavier, have lots of resonances, and are less efficient than a good PA system of a similar price and size.

A good PA speaker is by far your best option. A good 15” PA speaker will sound good, have enough bass extension, and be as loud as a drum kit if required. With a 12” you’ll sacrifice some bass but the off-axis sound might be a bit clearer.

Depending on your budget, stuff by JBL or Yamaha might be a great choice.
That's pretty much what I concluded, if you read the thread, though I was talking about reproducing natural acoustic piano levels accurately, not competing with drums, etc., so good studio monitors were a good option, for their less colored sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
That's pretty much what I concluded, if you read the thread, though I was talking about reproducing natural acoustic piano levels accurately, not competing with drums, etc., so good studio monitors were a good option, for their less colored sound.
In that context, that's for sure the best option, although remember that studio monitors are designed for accuracy, not for volume, and will be quieter than PA speakers of a similar size. I'd say 8" diaphragms will be best.

Also bear in mind the difference between playing a piano sound that sounds "like a recording" and playing a piano that sounds like a real piano in the room. Using sounds that are more distant and reverberant, while pleasant and impressive in isolation, often sounds too unclear and distant in a live situation. It also robs the player of the intimacy that a dry, upfront sound offers, and this can translate in differences in dynamics and even timing when playing.

For the best, realistic, "piano in the room" sound, a very dry piano recorded up-close will give you a sound that's as realistic as possible.
Old 3 weeks ago
yup. This is for a Nord electric piano for practice and for performance in a reverberant space, so trying to reproduce the effect of a real piano in that space. Obviously, the space itself provides the reverb. The ended up providing the client with a pair ZenPro Audio modded Yamaha HS108, which catered to her desire for accuracy within her budget. They are no doubt at their limit at full volume, but they worked.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

keyboard amp

I use a Motion Sound amp
, the 200 watt unit. It really glues the sound and takes the edge off the samples but yet has just the right high end. Its a little on the heavy side but I like it better than a PA speaker
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD57 View Post
I use a Motion Sound amp
, the 200 watt unit. It really glues the sound and takes the edge off the samples but yet has just the right high end. Its a little on the heavy side but I like it better than a PA speaker
Just looked at it on line. Just an 8" and a 3.5" driver per side. No tweeter. Seems like it would lack the upper harmonics for an accurate portrayal of a real acoustic piano. Looks like an interesting affordable option for many applications though. What kind of music are you using it for? My client does classical and backing of choral groups. And what PA speakers have you tried? I would expect truly high end PA speakers to be quite good but still edged out by good high powered studio monitors.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
..And what PA speakers have you tried? I would expect truly high end PA speakers to be quite good but still edged out by good high powered studio monitors.
Danley Sound Labs ..where the lines re high fidelity blur into one. :>)
https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/#slide4595
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
..And what PA speakers have you tried? I would expect truly high end PA speakers to be quite good but still edged out by good high powered studio monitors.
Danley Sound Labs ..where the lines in high fidelity blur into one. :>)

Just as a side note / experience to pass on..
I had a similar 'quest re sorting out just what is -and would be a good electric acoustic guitar reproducer. Most/many 'acoustic amps sucking to some degree for the most part..
Ran my rig through my home studio rig -SPTech/Aether Audio mains, a decent QSC K12.2 and got my bearings. Then bought a nice three-way Fishman.

I do expect piano however is and would be more demanding than this!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Danley Sound Labs ..where the lines in high fidelity blur into one. :>)

Just as a side note / experience to pass on..
I had a similar 'quest re sorting out just what is -and would be a good electric acoustic guitar reproducer. Most/many 'acoustic amps sucking to some degree for the most part..
Ran my rig through my home studio rig -SPTech/Aether Audio mains, a decent QSC K12.2 and got my bearings. Then bought a nice three-way Fishman.

I do expect piano however is and would be more demanding than this!
Yup. Same issues but a bit less demanding.

Re: Danley, a young sound engineer friend of mine recently became enamored with Danley and picked up a few of an older model of theirs. I listened to them at his urging and I found them to be very colored. Looking at the design, I am not surprised. I'm sure they do some things very well, but didn't cut it for me. Hopefully, the newer ones are better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search