The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
500$-1000$ Studio Monitors
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Nut

500$-1000$ Studio Monitors

I'm planning to buy my first studio monitors and I need your help ...
I produce electronic music and hip hop beats (no vocals, no acoustic instruments) I have a max budget of 1000$, but i would prefer to buy something near 500$/pair
I was thinking at Event 20/20 Bas v3 or something similar or maybe KRK....I'm really newbie at this so please help me out to make my pick
Old 8th April 2014
Event 20/20 v3 are crap monitors, KRK VXT series are not bad but I prefer the Yamaha HS series, I also wait for the new Focal Alpha series. You also can take a look to the Dynaudio BM5a MK2 which now are a lot cheaper, due to the release of the MK3 series. If I were you I will wait for the Focal.
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Nut

I saw that Yamaha HS7 is at very good price on thomann, or the JBL SLR8's..are they suited for electronic music, anyone has them...?
Old 8th April 2014
Here for the gear

I would really recommend you save a little longer for something like the Adam A7x, which you could get for around 1,400 dollars. In terms of quality, ear fatigue etc, these are amazing value for money, and would mean you won't have to replace your monitors when you start getting more serious.
Old 8th April 2014
I have tested Yamaha HS7/8 against the JBL and I prefer the Yamahas. I will never recommend ADAMs, if you can reach a little bit more go on with the EVE AUDIO SC207, really awesome monitors all the Eve Audio range.
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by midio View Post
I'm planning to buy my first studio monitors and I need your help ...
I produce electronic music and hip hop beats (no vocals, no acoustic instruments) I have a max budget of 1000$, but i would prefer to buy something near 500$/pair
I was thinking at Event 20/20 Bas v3 or something similar or maybe KRK....I'm really newbie at this so please help me out to make my pick
I would put the Equator D5 or, possibly, the D8 top of my list at this price range.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
I would put the Equator D5 or, possibly, the D8 top of my list at this price range.
Absolutely, John.
Keith
KeithFelch.com
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Nut

How about the Yamaha HS7 ? they're in the same price range as Equator D5, which ones are better, did anyone compared them or owns one of them?
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear
Best price/performance ratio for 8 inch monitors, especially for electronic music,
the bass is tight (contrary to lsr308 and Hs7)
https://worshipleader.com/presonus-eris-e8-review/
Old 8th April 2014
IMHO Eris = Rokit =
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Addict

demoed the JBL LSR305 and LSR308 last week, couldn't believe the sound of those little 5". maybe look into them ?
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Nut
For electronic music, I'd go with a 8". And given the pricepoint, HS8 or Equator D8 all the way
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

Hard to decide between this two...I'm very inclined to get those D5's...but I'm still not sure if i will regret not getting a 8" i'm concerned if i will get enough bass response from the D5's.......although the price diference between d5 and d8 allows me to get an audio komplete 6 too si is very tempting
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
IMHO Eris = Rokit =
listen and learn, amigo !

Krk Rp8
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-p...tudio-monitors

Eris 8
https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-p...tudio-monitors
Old 9th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirka View Post
I already had listened to this and as you can hear they sound in the same crappy boomy and undefined way. Eris=rokit=
Old 9th April 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
You should also look at the Adam F7, think youll find a clear winner if you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirka View Post

This is rather silly, you cannot compare any monitors like this, for reasons lets not get into, as they are to obvious.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I already had listened to this and as you can hear they sound in the same crappy boomy and undefined way. Eris=rokit=
https://www.google.com/search?q=cott...%3B1600%3B1063

(I just received my SC207 and i am waiting for the Spl Crimson to arrive)
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is rather silly, you cannot compare any monitors like this, for reasons lets not get into, as they are to obvious.
Of course, normally it will just give an idea but in this situation (eris vs rokit rp) the difference in sound clarity is so obvious that it
(should have) helped.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
You should also look at the Adam F7, think youll find a clear winner if you do.
F series, are not precise. Yamaha HS7 could be better.
Old 9th April 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
F series, are not precise. Yamaha HS7 could be better.
You have not owned/tested them so you wouldn't know. They are the most accurately detailed monitors in this lower price region overall, very precise.

Some reviews:

http://www.dv247.com/news/Adam%20F-S...0Review/133313

"You could consider looking at the higher-spec Adams or something comparable as your studio tastes evolve, but nothing at this low price touches the Adam F-Series, especially when you factor in the F-Sub. As a pair of monitors for the modest studio setup, they’re nothing short of exceptional."

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...es/adam-f7.htm

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/te...rs-591058#null

Now lets not disagree with more professional's, like always test monitors and make your own conclusions, as personal tastes vary.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
You have not owned/tested them so you wouldn't know.
I've heard F5/F7 and they are weak, in comparison to AX series (and remember: AX is NOT hi-end).

For "SoS" every monitor is very good - they are funny

And musicradar:
Quote:
Pros

Excellent modern sound
... "modern sound"? - PLEASE, this is "studio monitor", not ladies handbag. KRK RP8 g3 have 4/5 stars from them, and ADAM F have 4,5/5 ... so how many stars have Unity Audio Boulders? ...

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/te...oulders-568686

Unity Audio Boulders have 4/5 stars ... so ADAM F are better than Unity Audio monitors for You? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

So far I have Yamaha HS7, JBL LSR305 and Equator D5's on my list...I wanna go for JBL but I understand that they can be placed near the wall because of their rear bass port, is that true...? any other sugestions in this price range?
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Addict

IMHO, as long as you leave somewhere around a foot from the speakers to the wall you should be fine, and there are EQ switches to compensate.

as with any speaker, the placement , symmetry and listening distance is important.

is your room acoustically treated ?

Follow the user manual for your monitors of choice and experiment a bit with mix translation and adjust.

basic rules of thumb as indicated in the JBL LRS manual :

Placement

3 Series speakers are designed to deliver exceptional imaging in any room, To get the most out of your speakers, follow these recommendations:

• Attach the four supplied pads to each speaker to protect the finish on the bottom of the speaker.
• Position each speaker in a vertical orientation with the tweeter on the top. Vertical orientation eliminates
phase shift and cancellation of frequency response that occurs when the distance of the woofer to the ear
is different from the distance of the tweeter to the ear.
• Angle the speakers so the high-frequency transducer in each speaker is aimed directly towards the ear of
the listener.
• Ideally, the LSR308 and LSR305 speakers should be placed on suitable speaker stands, rather than on the
work surface. This will reduce resonance and deterioration of low frequency performance that occurs
through the speaker’s mechanical coupling with the work surface.
• For optimum imaging, the left speaker and the right speaker should be placed symmetrically in the room, so
each speaker is the same distance from adjacent walls and reflective surfaces.
• The speakers should be placed so the position of the listener and the two speakers form an equilateral
triangle. Adjusting the distance between the speakers will affect the quality of bass heard at the listening position. You can experiment with speaker placement to find the placement that produces the preferred bass response, imaging and when listening to stereo material, produces a strong “phantom” center in which vocals and some instruments seem to originate from a point between speakers.
• The listening distance can be determined according to your preference, the acoustics of your room and the maximum SPL (Sound Pressure Level) you want to hear at the listening position. You can find the speaker’s maximum SPL at 1 Meter in the Specifications Section at the end of this manual. Each doubling of listening distance will reduce the SPL at the listening position by 6 dB in an acoustically absorptive room, but only
3 or 4 dB in an acoustically reflective room.
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Nut

Between Yamaha HS7 (330€/pair) and Adam F7 (500€/pair) which one would be a better pick and are this two superior to JBL LSR305's ?
Old 10th April 2014
I have tested the 3 and I prefer the HS7. Where do you get them for 330€?????
Old 10th April 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Between Yamaha HS7 (330€/pair) and Adam F7 (500€/pair) which one would be a better pick and are this two superior to JBL LSR305's ?

Only you would know, don't listen to guys saying they prefer which one, I find the F7 to be much more accurate and detailed, but others don't like that and prefer something with a different sound like the HS7. Don't pick your monitors based on what others say they prefer, you need to test yourself.
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Nut

I can't test it here...the retailers only can order what I want to buy so I will prefer to buy from thomann, and I make a decision, I will wait for the Focal Alpha 65 to arrive ...they are at awesome price and the quality is far superior for other brands in the same price range ...they are already available for oder on thomann but i would prefer to see some reviews first Anyhow, suggestions can come till May

http://www.thomann.de/ie/focal_alpha_65.htm
Old 10th April 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
It's a shame you can't test, as pretty sure you would pick the F7 There's a new review of them here:
http://bit.ly/PUyvXW

Quote:
I will wait for the Focal Alpha 65 to arrive ...they are at awesome price and the quality is far superior for other brands in the same price range ...

They are not superior, very much doubt it, they are classed below the CMS line, and the CMS50 is much more boxed and closed sound than HS7 & F7 (Not open like these, some prefer that with the details much more hidden and closed in) the Alpha will be below this so I can't see how they will be superior to F7 & HS7. One area though could be the acoustic design, which maybe better.
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Nut

Would the Adam F7's work well for electronic music without a sub...? I'm really tempted to order them...but also I'm curious about some Focal Alpha 65's review...Hard decision
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Nut

Between HS7 and F7, i definitely go with F7.
If you can find a great new/used deal on Dynaudio BM5A MKIIs, I would go that route.
📝 Reply