The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking about a Distressor or an 1176 to add to my vocal chain, think smooth.
Old 19th February 2015
Sold my Distressor,only used it on snare mostly.It sounds good on most sources,but has an artifact
that always bothered me.

I would suggest the FMR Audio PBC-6A,looks like a toy but sounds thick and smooth.

The comp i will buy eventually,Kenetek Model LA-2X.Even youtube can't ****
up how awesome that box sounds.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear
^ LA2X looks hot. disturbing the store is at *************. can we sue?

lol gearslutz censors gear slut
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
?

I can highly recommend the WA76 as a vocal compressor. It's smooth, fairly transparent in its compression characteristic, but tonally adds some weight to the bottom and gently sweetens the midrange. Don't think you'll find anything quite like it for $599. One of the best purchases i've made in a long time.
^^What he said
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everland Studios View Post
Ummm, not sure which 1176 you are using but they do have attack/release controls.
I'm guessing maybe he might have meant that there is no threshold adjust but who knows.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
I'm guessing maybe he might have meant that there is no threshold adjust but who knows.
Well, the Input controls the level of the entering signal and the threshold and as result, higher settings increase the amount of compression. I would never say that the 1176 has not threshold except if we are strictly talking about the knob label.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

The distressor is cool and great for a lot of things, that's said, I am considering selling mine. Are you interested?
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDani View Post
Well, the Input controls the level of the entering signal and the threshold and as result, higher settings increase the amount of compression. I would never say that the 1176 has not threshold except if we are strictly talking about the knob label.
Yeah, I get it bro, I own a WA76 I understand how it works. I'm just guessing because it doesn't have the word "threshold" attached to it that he may have been thinking that. I'm trying to give the guy a break. I'd hate to think the guys was commenting about a piece of hardware that he isn't even familiar with.
Old 16th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Distressors seem to be more dirty than smooth, as far as what i have heard from them. so if you want a clean sound, go with the latter

CJ
this^
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Interesting... I've found the Distressor capable of being both cleaner, and dirtier than the 1176. They're similar in a lot of ways, but the biggest difference to me is the 1176 adds this low/mid warmth, and the Distressor has a similar effect, but it's higher up in the mids. So the 1176 feels more beefy and the Distressor feels more aggressive. At least that's what I'm hearing. So which is best for vocals depends on what you're trying to do with the vocals.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear
Mic > WA76 > LA2A = Smoove with a capital "V".
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

If you are trying to avoid vocal rides:
Distressor in 10:1 opto mode
Retro (Gates) sta level

But it really seems like Waves Vocal Rider or Waves MaxxVolume is what you want.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search