The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixer to DAW patching problem
Old 1st December 2003
Here for the gear

Mixer to DAW patching problem

Hello all, this is my first post here, although i do know the "rules of engagement" for these types of boards, so please trust me when i tell you i've searched for answers but cannot find what i need. Here's my question...

I have recently acquired a soundcraft 200sr mixer, intended to use as a front end for my DAW (digi 001). I did research before buying and others expressed their enthusiasm for the 200 in similar circumstances, but after talking to someone i believe knows much more than I do, i'm worried that when it arrives i won't have any way to hook it up. I was under the impression that the channel inserts could be used as line out to the 001, but my friend says no. I was hopeing to buy some decent cable today but put it off because of this. The inserts are wired as follows: Tip=return, ring=send, sleeve=ground (this is "backwards" from most current designs i believe). Does anyone know if this will work? Thanks for any response.
Old 1st December 2003
Gear Maniac

There's a pretty good chance this will work. It's likely that you wont get EQ or compression from the board this weay - just mic amps. I'd recomend you try multiple channels out of the board into PTs via light pipe.
Old 1st December 2003
Here for the gear

Thanks for your reply,
I wasn't planning on using any effects while tracking anyhow so that's not a problem. I would like to be able to use the 1/4" Inputs on the 001, because i was under the assumption that to use the lightpipe in you had to have some sort of external converter. Is this incorrect?
Old 1st December 2003
Gear Maniac

I submit that you do some more research on DAW setups. There are many ways of skinning the cat and no simple answers - especially when you add a digital mixer as the front end/monitoring to a DAW.

If it was me, I would enter PTs via lightpipe and use the board's mic pres and converters. I'd also use the board as a patchbay and route all of my hardware effects though it while mixing "in the box".
Old 1st December 2003
Here for the gear

Excuse me for asking others politely for help, but i HAVE done much homework and haven't come to the conclusions i require. I assumed that was the reason for this forum, to learn from others with more experience like yourself.

And, by the way, the 200sr is an ANALOG console, not digital, which is why i was wondering why you thought i could send lightpipe out from it.

I really do appreciate your help, and i'm not trying to be difficult.
Old 1st December 2003
Lives for gear

I've never used this board or seen one but couldn't you use the bus outs?

For example track 1 would go to bus 1 and that outbut would go into the digi 001. and track 2 into bus 2 and then that output into the digi 001?
Old 1st December 2003
Gear Maniac

Should be no problem, insert points out to 001. Just check if ring or tip on the cable is send/return.
Makoto
Old 1st December 2003
Gear Maniac

Oh, sorry. I assumed it was a digital board. Not trying to be smart either. No offense intended.

Yes, the inserts should work. You might have to insert the cable half way in.

Best of luck.
Old 2nd December 2003
Here for the gear

Thanks to all of you for your help, i appreciate it.
Old 2nd December 2003
Lives for gear

have a tech put direct outs from each channel either pre or post fader.
but that's probably more work than is worth for that particular console.
using the insert sends to feed a recorder is not the optimun way to get there.fuuck
Old 11th August 2007
Here for the gear

200Sr

Hi I have a Soundcraft 200 SR and have had great sounding results.I've come out of the sub groups into my 003 and works fine and sounds great.I've since bought a 50 ft snake cut it in half and solderd TRS jacks to the ends.Have the snake head in you live room and run the snake to your patch bay take the other half of your snake with the newly soldered ends and run from the patch bay to the inserts on your board.
You can hear a track here
myspace.com/houseofbrokenpromises
track is called "The Hurt"

Hope that helped ya out
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

It might be best to make use of the mixer's four subgroup outs as well as the channel outs. That way, you can use the mixer to do some grouping & analog summing during tracking, like sending nine mixer channels of percussion mics to a stereo mix on groups 1 & 2.

I recommend using a patchbay, with all of the individual channel outs and the subgroup outs all connected to it, so you can freely patch any of the individual channels OR subgroups to any 003 input.

DP
Old 12th August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanx I def plan on having sub groups accessible from the patch bay.My 200SR makes a world of difference hitting it before PTLE.Very please being as I bought in a pawn shop for $200 and a buddy guru tech went through every channel and cleaned and repaired as needed.He sent me the bill for about $3 grand! but with a discount of $2800!! LOL.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search