The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best monitors between £1000-£1500 Studio Monitors
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Nut

if you would like to borrow some Sonodyne to try in your studio, let me know. I work for Synthax Audio, the UK distributor for Sonodyne.
Old 1st April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
You might want to consider checking out the Sceptres that Fulcrum Acoustic designed for PreSonus as well.

dB
Amen to that.
The Sceptre seems amazing, and I'm very partial to front-porting and coax design. Can't wait to hear them sometime...
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of the Clipalator and I've heard the 67 and 84 shootouts -- maybe you could introduce monitors to your audio library?

Sonic Sense has some very helpful comparisons on YT, like between the HS8 and HS80M. I would love to hear your modded HS8 up against the KH120, the Sonodyne and PSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I don't know what pricing is over there for these, but do everything you can to put your ears on a pair of PSI Audio A14-M. Everything about them is wow stuff, do not let their size fool you either when it comes to clear and full bass.

They will make the KH120 sound like a patio hi-fi speaker.

War
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

I had the SE Egg's, Focal CMS65's, Acoustic Energy AE22's and KH120's here to compare and kept the KH120. I also tried the Yamaha HS80's, KRK VXT8's, Adam A7 and Mackie HR824's and HR624's. I haven't heard the PSI or Sonodyne range yet.

I personally find the KH120a to be a wonderful little monitor!
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

I heard the KH120's in a store where they impressed me with a sound that belies their size. But I also found them to have that unnatural hifi-ish 'sheen' that Warren talks about, which became obvious when I switched to the amazing PSI A17m. I'm now checking sonodyne 100's in my room, great speakers I think. So for me it's between the sonodynes and PSI's.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
I heard the KH120's in a store where they impressed me with a sound that belies their size. But I also found them to have that unnatural hifi-ish 'sheen' that Warren talks about, which became obvious when I switched to the amazing PSI A17m. I'm now checking sonodyne 100's in my room, great speakers I think. So for me it's between the sonodynes and PSI's.
Sounds like you have what I would call good taste in monitoring.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Those PSI A17M's certainly look great but they cost two and a half times the price of the KH120a's!
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

I'm interested to hear how the Sonodyne SRP and SM series compare. I may end up trying the SM100, SRP 500 and SRP 600's at some point.
Old 9th April 2014
I love my A77X - Even better on my homemade stands topped off with the Isoacoustics LR8430's.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
best monitors between £1000-£1500-img_1609.jpg  
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Those PSI A17M's certainly look great but they cost two and a half times the price of the KH120a's!
It's for a reason. They reside in a different sphere.
Old 9th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
It's for a reason. They reside in a different sphere.
Yes I would hope so
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
In which case the ME-Geithain RL906 are only twice the price of the KH120A - though still more than £1,500, unfortunately.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
In which case the ME-Geithain RL906 are only twice the price of the KH120A
Really? Where?
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Really? Where?
Everywhere, the KH120A are £499 +VAT each, the RL906 are £1,029 +VAT each.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Everywhere, the KH120A are £499 +VAT each, the RL906 are £1,029 +VAT each.
I guess you're right going by RRP's, but in reality you can get the KH120's for much closer to a grand inc VAT, sometimes under, whereas the RL906 are nowhere to be found under 2400.........
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I guess you're right going by RRP's, but in reality you can get the KH120's for much closer to a grand inc VAT, sometimes under, whereas the RL906 are nowhere to be found under 2400.........
Yes, RRP, the dealer and distributor margins are much smaller on the Geithain, compared to Sennheiser.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, RRP, the dealer and distributor margins are much smaller on the Geithain, compared to Sennheiser.
....hence in customer reality they don't actually work out half, as dealers are likely to shave some off the Neumann's but never the Geithains.....
Old 14th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedButton View Post
Thanks for the heads up I will check them out.
What did you go for BigRed? I'm looking for monitors in this space and would be interested in your findings. Cheers!
Old 23rd July 2014
Here for the gear

Hey guys sorry for not getting back on here for a while. I have been enjoying my new Monitors to much :P

I ended up getting the Se Munro Eggs, personally I dont like listening to them buuuuut these stunning little speakers are just amazing in terms of end results.

I found I was making correct choices in terms of, sounds I use,Volume,Eq,compression etc.. Even though they are not what I would call nice speakers to listen to I cannot argue with there results.
Pretty much every mixing decision I have made on tracks since I purchased them has been a dramatic improvement on my previous monitors (Yamaha HS80's).

The by product of this was that the master chains I now use are greatly reduced because by the time I had got to the end, the mixing choices I had made were better so there was less work to do to clean the sound up. minimal compression ,Minimal eq'ing and just a bit of limiting.

The main thing I did notice rite away with these speakers and I think quite possibly there best part is there timing, sounds start and stop so quickly its just stunning to hear.
No more over hanging Kick drums or bass here, just clean perfectly timed audio.

Hope this helps people out there looking to buy monitors in this price bracket and if you guys like I will do a proper review over the coming week or so..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search