The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann KH120 or Presonus Sceptre? Studio Monitors
View Poll Results: Neumann or Presonus?
Neumann KH120A
5 Votes - 71.43%
Presonus Sceptre S8
2 Votes - 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear
Neumann KH120 or Presonus Sceptre?

Hi!

I read a lot about of these two monitors, but I don't find a store that has 2. Also, Sceptre did not arrive to Spain until 10 March.

So I thought to visit two stores, and compare them to Adam A7x in each store.

But, I want your opinion, if anybody has used these 2, or compared in same location.

Thanks
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

The presonus scepter series are actually pretty impressive. I actually owned the pre scepter s6. Wonderful midrange, forward mids (which I like), quite neutral and not harsh in any way. The downside of the scepter is actually quite funny because these are suppose to have a BIG low-end, yet the bass aspect is the reason I returned them. Yea they can sound pretty large and fill a room, unfortunely the bass texture isn't up to the standards. I felt that these were not tightly controlled and had too much drag in the low end. I settled with the Genelec 8030b, much smaller yet big on sound. Bass on these are tight, vicersal, and clean. Unfortunely these also have a weak point that I cannot settle with, so I'm returning these to make a purchase I should have originally gone with, the Event Opal. At least I got to audition 2 monitors in-house to make my decision.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

.....i don't know the presonus...even never heard of them overhere...

but i'm a kh120 user for one and a half years by now and these monitors are just THE tool for me....real pro gear full on...

since i mix on neumann, i had not one bad surprise when listening back anywhere else....what i hear is what i get like never before....super accurate.....real broadcast stuff...

they're rocksolid.....and even so precise they're still also real fun to work with...turn them up really loud...turn them down whispering...they just don't care and give you exactly the same picture....absolutely no self resonating at all....next to my metric halo the best deal i've ever made....
Old 20th May 2015
Just bumping up this thread, trying to decide between these two for my new home mixing spot...11.5' x 10' x 8' bedroom (heavily treated with the help of GIK). Mostly acoustic music (folk, Americana, bluegrass)

Last edited by Sean Sullivan; 20th May 2015 at 05:24 AM..
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear

so whats the verdict ?
Old 8th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Should i get the sceptres at half of the price now or wait and save more for KH120 ?
Old 8th December 2015
Lives for gear

this is the only thread that favors the 120s over the sceptre…

I chose the sceptre 8's
Old 10th December 2015
Here for the gear

Has anyone had or got both speakers to compare?
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmon View Post
Has anyone had or got both speakers to compare?
alot of people have compared the two on other threads and went with the sceptres
Old 12th December 2015
Here for the gear
RightOnRome, this is a 9 months old thread, I bought Neumann KH120A, but I am just curious, can you link here to theses other threads? 9 months ago I didn't find any thread about Neumann vs Sceptre comparison.

Greetings
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of KH 120 and i am not fully satisfied, the translation is not as good as i expected, especially in the lows, i had a pair of MSP5's previously that translated better. I am thinking about selling them and getting Sceptre S8's, has anyone else compared them?
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Anyone?
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear

I went with the Sceptre 6's and the T10 sub. I haven't heard the 8's, but the 6's need to sub to run clean. I think both the Neumann's and Sceptres are good, for me the ability to get the matching sub and monitors for WAY less then the Neumanns was a no brainer.

Tell you what...I have been through many different pairs of mid level monitors ($1500 or less) in the past few years. The Sceptres made me feel comfortable almost out of the box. The imaging is insane on these things too.
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampar View Post
Anyone?
The Sceptres S8 will give you proper information of the bass , both monitors are great but Neumanns are smoother in the highs while sceptres are more in front, a little bit agressive at the beginning, I was in the same boat and went with the Sceptres, my tracks translate very good now, also i use sonarworks studio calibration, it makes the sceptres a lot smoother.
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
I went with the Sceptre 6's and the T10 sub. I haven't heard the 8's, but the 6's need to sub to run clean. I think both the Neumann's and Sceptres are good, for me the ability to get the matching sub and monitors for WAY less then the Neumanns was a no brainer.

Tell you what...I have been through many different pairs of mid level monitors ($1500 or less) in the past few years. The Sceptres made me feel comfortable almost out of the box. The imaging is insane on these things too.
Do you use the hi pass on the Sceptre's? Do you feel their bass is not clean?
Old 19th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you use the hi pass on the Sceptre's? Do you feel their bass is not clean?
To me it sounded muddy trying to get a full range out of them. Midrange was much clearer with the sub.
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketrance View Post
The Sceptres S8 will give you proper information of the bass , both monitors are great but Neumanns are smoother in the highs while sceptres are more in front, a little bit agressive at the beginning, I was in the same boat and went with the Sceptres, my tracks translate very good now, also i use sonarworks studio calibration, it makes the sceptres a lot smoother.
How big is your room? Would you recommend it for a 3x4 metres big room?
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy View Post
.....i don't know the presonus...even never heard of them overhere...

but i'm a kh120 user for one and a half years by now and these monitors are just THE tool for me....real pro gear full on...

since i mix on neumann, i had not one bad surprise when listening back anywhere else....what i hear is what i get like never before....super accurate.....real broadcast stuff...

they're rocksolid.....and even so precise they're still also real fun to work with...turn them up really loud...turn them down whispering...they just don't care and give you exactly the same picture....absolutely no self resonating at all....next to my metric halo the best deal i've ever made....
I have to disagree... I am not having a good translation at all.
Old 20th May 2016
Deleted User
S6's here coming from Event ASP8's, total improvement here in my translation, nothing else has changed except the speakers. Low end is tight on these compared to the Event ASP8, mids are great. Im happy. I'll probbly grab the T10 sub to use while Im doing production to crank the bottom. Mixing is a breeze on these
Old 20th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
How big is your room? Would you recommend it for a 3x4 metres big room?
My studio is 3x4 metres with some acoustic threatment.
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Addict

So this just happened. I couldn't get my KH120's to work for me on account of what sounded like a huge hump at like 100 hz, and nothing underneath, and I finally gave up on them and went back to my 308's. So now the 308's arent working for me either. I was wondering again about the kh120's and i noticed that the lower third of the woofers was actually firing into the back of my mixer. So I put them up on something, ok it was a couple of those cases that behringer ecm 8000's come in, and voila, smooth, seemingly extended bass that sounds different on every song.
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Maniac

Do the Sceptre S8's translate better than KH 120's?
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Same question here :-)
Old 29th May 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
I had on my studio a pair of Adam A7X from a friend and I compared with my Neumann KH120A.

My friend ever say that Adam has enough bass that he don't need a sub, I ever say that I need a sub. So the result of comparison it is predictable... But no, Adam A7X and Neumann KH120A need more bass on my home-studio because acoustics, I already has acoustic treatment.

So, my conclusion is: It is more important the room acoustics than any or other speaker on the same range.Also the position of them.

My friend was surprised how sound their speakers (Adam) on my room, wider stereo and noticeable less bass, in a days we will try on his studio
Old 29th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Kh120 translate better in the high frequencies and s8´s does better in the lower freqs, it depends what you need the most, S8´s are kinda agressives in the high frequencies and KH´s are smoother, I made tracks in both monitors and got good results with both of them too, no surprises, If you have any problem of translation with them it is your studio the problem or your mixing skills.
Old 30th May 2016
Lives for gear

Some of you who are having bottom end problems, be prepared to move them around in the room ; vertically , horizontally , front to back and finally how close together they are. Nulls etc can play havoc but can often be improved by positioning.
Also, moving your listening position is a big one as well - you could be sitting in a null/enhance posi which will stuff up any speaker at any price .
Cheers, Ross

s
Old 30th May 2016
Deleted User
The Scepters have up to -4dB cut above 2dB cut for all frequencies if they are too crispy for you on the top. So the aggressiveness can be tamed pretty easily.
They translate perfect for me here
Old 31st May 2016
Here for the gear

Haven't heard the Scepters. But I have just bought the Neumann kh120 and I have to say, they are fantastic. Monitors are super subjective, so it's always hard to advise via Internets.

I was struggling between dynaudio bm5 bm6 and bm12 and Adam a7 I listened to all of them extensively and there was just something about the Neumann that I leaned towards.

The clarity in the mid range is the best I've heard, the low end is crisp and defined. I was truly surprised by the depth of the low in such a small monitor. It's not hyped though and doesn't go quite as low as some of the 8 inch woofers in bigger models. But for my use. Post. In a relatively small edit suite they blow the place down.

I'm looking forward to adding a sub and getting the lower reach. Only had them for a few days so still getting used to them, but the mixes I've done translate great so far.
Old 15th June 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdonnelly View Post
It's not hyped though and doesn't go quite as low as some of the 8 inch woofers in bigger models. But for my use. Post. In a relatively small edit suite they blow the place down.

I'm looking forward to adding a sub and getting the lower reach. Only had them for a few days so still getting used to them, but the mixes I've done translate great so far.

This is the issue for me, guys saying how great the bass is on the KH120 and tracking/production guys are thinkin great bass as in deep/full/boom if you will.
Now they buy these things and the FIRST thing they have to do is get a sub for them. For POST guys those things are probably perfect.

I bought some Presonus Sceptre S6's and guys here said they have great bass. They are FOS IMO, its there and tight but full bodied/deep, um no. Now Im looking for a sub cause the guys here somehow think that 50Hz is great low end when the bottom of a four string bass is 41Hz.

Please post back as to which sub you get for the Neumanns
Old 16th June 2016
Gear Maniac

I am still thinking about selling my KH 120's and getting Sceptre S8's, any more opinions?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search