The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound card Studio monitor confusion HELP!
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Sound card Studio monitor confusion HELP!

Hello everybody! I have a problem. I have my m-audio firewire 1814 sound card plugged into my computer. It's then hooked up to my hs7 monitors. I've got the drivers installed properly. Everything seems to be done right.. But nothing is coming out the monitors. No the knobs are not turned all the way down. I checked. I believe I've got everything installed properly. I think it may have something to do with the mixer settings or the device settings.. Anybody know why no sound is coming out? Thanks!
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

From simplest to most complicated:

1. Make sure your monitors are powered on and turned up.
2. Make sure the monitor level knobs are turned to an appropriate level.
3. Make sure the monitors are connected to outputs 1 and 2 of the interface (you may use either balanced or unbalanced connections; I recommend balanced)
4. Unplug the Firewire connection cable and then reconnect it (I recommend using port 1, though it may not matter)
5. Ensure that Windows is recognizing the device correctly and is loading the proper drivers; this device isn't compliant with any driverless standard or with any other unit's drivers. If you plugged it in prior to loading drivers, you might have to uninstall the device from Device Manager before the proper drivers will be used.
6. Plug in a pair of headphones to one of the headphone jacks (any pair will do, provided it has a 1/4" plug or adapter) and verify that you can hear the desired output. If there is output,
7. If not using ASIO (including if you're using Windows Media Player or iTunes to test playback), make sure the device is selected as the primary playback device from the Windows Volume Control properties dialog, or as the DAW's playback device.
8. If using ASIO with your DAW, make sure the proper channels containing your desired playback are being routed to outputs 1 and 2.
9. Ensure the settings in the software Control Panel applet are correct; among other things, make sure the SW returns 1/2 are routed to outputs 1/2 (other output routing is at your discretion) and that the output level for 1/2 is set correctly. You don't have to use the assignable level knob to control the outputs, but if you don't use it to control either the outputs or the software return levels, the input level to your monitors can only be controlled by the faders in the Control Panel or by adjusting the gain of your monitors directly.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

It says the audio is being fed to my soundcard.. Just nothing is going to the 1/2 outputs.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

never mind! Problem fixed thanks for the help!
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahjah View Post
never mind! Problem fixed thanks for the help!
What was the problem?
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liko View Post
What was the problem?
No sound was coming out my monitors. I just had to play around with my device control panel sound settings area on my comp.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search