The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Allen & Heath GS-R24 MIDI - using external keyboard
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Allen & Heath GS-R24 MIDI - using external keyboard

Help!

I have a new Allen and Heath GS-R24M, and I'm have 2 issues I cannot figure out.

1. No matter what combination of midi input and output I use, I cannot get my Yamaha midi keyboard to work with a virtual instrument in Pro Tools or Cubase. No MIDI seems to be passing through the board into the DAW. The DAW recognizes the board and it's midi just fine. Faders work, MMC works, just no virtual instruments via the midi in/out in the back.

2. When I hooked up a second device to just use it's midi instead, now I get a dang strange dinging noise when a key goes up - it happens every time!

What is happening! Can I not use this as a regular MIDI device? I'm stumped and I'm under the gun and need to have it working by tonight.....

Anyone out there have any suggestions for me?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Fixed one thing...

Well it turns out the silly ding/beep thing was a crash in the Mac's MIDI drivers. A restart fixed that.

But I am still totally stuck on why I can't get hook up a MIDI keyboard to work in Pro Tools with the GS-R24.

I ended up using my Native Instruments Maschine as the MIDI in/out for the Kontakt Player and it's working fine for now....
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybregar View Post
Well it turns out the silly ding/beep thing was a crash in the Mac's MIDI drivers. A restart fixed that.

But I am still totally stuck on why I can't get hook up a MIDI keyboard to work in Pro Tools with the GS-R24.

I ended up using my Native Instruments Maschine as the MIDI in/out for the Kontakt Player and it's working fine for now....
Unless there is a trick I don't know about the console, you can't use the GS-R24 midi ports as a regular interface for your keyboards. You'll still need an interface like a Roland UM-1G for that. The midi implementation of the console is really for the console itself and that's it.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltones View Post
Unless there is a trick I don't know about the console, you can't use the GS-R24 midi ports as a regular interface for your keyboards. You'll still need an interface like a Roland UM-1G for that. The midi implementation of the console is really for the console itself and that's it.
Yes - it seems it is. Thanks for the help, I'm up and running using my Native Instruments Maschine interface.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

The A&H MIDI connectors are not an actual MIDI interface for external keyboards or other MIDI devices. AFAIK they are only MIDI out for the actual MIDI DAW control from the board itself if you want to use them instead of the FW path.
You need a proper MIDI interface either DIN or USB style to use with your keyboard.
That will appear as a second MIDI port device in your DAW which can then be assigned to trigger DAW instruments.
Old 19th October 2015
Here for the gear
how did you get the faders to work i have same console and hooked up my midi interface and can't get nothing to work
Old 19th October 2015
Here for the gear
i just got the GS-R24m and am having a problem getting the console to see the midi can't get the faders to move and so on HEEEELP!!! i have an Iconnect2 midi interface is this the wrong device ?
Old 19th October 2015
Here for the gear

I had a Gsr-24 a while back, was running it with a Mac and Pro Tools. As my memory serves me I needed this to make it work. MIDI Translator Pro | Bome Software
Old 20th October 2015
Here for the gear
thank you ill try that
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search