The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphones and speaker cables to tracking room
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Head

Headphones and speaker cables to tracking room

Setting up a new studio space, and looking into snakes, etc.

My biggest question is:
How do you guys get headphones sends into the tracking room? TRS sends on a snake? XLR sends?

Additionally: want to be able to set guitar amp heads in control, and run speaker cable to tracking room cleanly, what's your best permanent solution for this?
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Addict

From any set of outputs on the patchbay, I have a dual stereo TRS to XLR female stereo unbalanced Y cable, so it only takes up one XLR slot on my sommer cable breakout box to the live room through a cordial 16-multicore with separate grounds. In the live room I have the same XLR male to TRS that goes to my headphone amp.

In our previous studio I had long HP cables going from the control room to the live room for guitar and bass amps, but now I use a Radial SGI to have the guitar in the control room, and any head / cab or combo amp in the live room. I think its better because :

- I can play a combo from the control room if I want to, no need for a head / cab combination
- Getting the amp to sound right in the room and then micing it correctly, rather than tweaking the head from the control room, is the way to go for me. I often found myself overdoing amp settings to compensate for a poor mic placement or just a poor guitar sound.
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capa****or View Post
I had long HP cables going from the control room to the live room for guitar and bass amps, but now I use a Radial SGI to have the guitar in the control room, and any head / cab or combo amp in the live room. I think its better because :

- I can play a combo from the control room if I want to, no need for a head / cab combination
- Getting the amp to sound right in the room and then micing it correctly, rather than tweaking the head from the control room, is the way to go for me. I often found myself overdoing amp settings to compensate for a poor mic placement or just a poor guitar sound.
Thanks so much for your response, mate!

Can you walk me through how that setup is chained? Does that run through the snake?
Old 16th February 2014
Gear Addict

Yes it runs through the snake ! (like all the rest : mics, headphone mix)
In the control room I have the guitar plugged with a regular guitar jack in the SGI emitter (plugged to a walwart power supply), which is wired with an XLR female to female cable to my breakout box. On the other side of the snake in the live room, I have an XLR male to male from the breakout box to the passive SGI receiver, plugged into the amp with a regular guitar jack. It works as if there was nothing between the guitar and the amp. Try to keep guitar cables as short as possible though, like you would do anyway.

I think it's a good idea to have a multicore snake with isolated grounds, to avoid a lot of nightmares.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search