The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with HD24 upgrade please
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Nut

Help with HD24 upgrade please

This tracking (equipment) business is kind of ridiculous. Ive searched and searched for the perfect system for me but as usual none exist - in my price range that is. Perfect being portable, self recording with no computer, converters that wont leave me wondering, and interfaced to usb. I say ridiculous because the solution always seem to be a product made in the 90s.

I have upgraded many parts of my system and feel that my hd24 (non xr) could be the weakest point. I say this because I also record to 1/2 tape and the hd24 fails most every sound comparison. So....options are.....

A. Upgrade to the ec2 converters -and continue as normal. By normal I mean the pain in the rear back and forth from recorder to computer - doing things the hard way with no interface. (I do not have fireport on the computer) I would be happy more than happy with this pending a converter evaluation. I would still keep searching for a adat to usb. This would be a no brainer if I could find such a device.

B. Add a Steinberg UR824 Steinberg UR824 | Sweetwater.com Here I think I could use 8 premium converters (I assume) into the hd24 at the same time as running the remaing channels of the hd24.....? This would also gain a usb interface which would be a wonderful time saver. This would be my choice if the Steinberg converters are "better" than ec2.

C. Ditch the hd24 for something like RME Fireface RME Fireface UFX | Sweetwater.com This one is usb interface as well as stand alone recorder. Don't really want to spend this much however.

Or the Allen Heath ICE 16d ICE-16 - Allen & Heath This one has no metering or visual clock.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search