The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is a toft audio atb 4 good bang for your buck?
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Head

Is a toft audio atb 4 good bang for your buck?

Looking for some new preamps. And was I was considering buying the toft atb 4 channel. Has 4 preamps and 4 eqs. Plus I think it could be good for summing guitar tracks before going itb. It's 1400 euros in Europe. At this price is there a better quality to price ratio for four preamps?
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelporridge View Post
At this price is there a better quality to price ratio for four preamps?
Yes. It depends what you're after. Do the search engine for Malcolm Toft to decide about the greater story. Explain what you want from a preamp, clean gain or strong color or what inbetween. Makes the question easier to answer.
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Head

Colour from preamps. I always want colour. Different pres for different colours. But a lot of time with interface preamps has made me detest tranparent pres. I do realise there is a place for them though.
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Color is either in the transformers or in the amplification - transistors single ended (which can be tube-like) or tubes. Look for low gain discrete opamps like the JLM 99v or old Neve or Telefunken (which there are so many you got to know which are the good ones and which are the lemons) Gain staging is king for what you need.
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Head

Do you think the toft might for the bill?
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear
From what I've read, the Toft pres are useable but nothing special; this was pretty much consensus on various reviews and a couple long Toft ATB16 threads.

I would look to lunchbox and the myriad of boutique pres out there like Classic API, Great River, etc. for cost effective flavour options.
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Addict

I don't think the Great River could be considered a "cost effective" flavour option... Aparently OK Computer was recorded entirley with the same kind of preamp that is in the ATB, it's on here somewhere deep deep in the archives... If you are in Europe chack out the DAV stuff. I have my eye on them at the moment.
Old 15th February 2014
Frans, you have the best signature of this entire board.

On topic: can you get an API 3124 for that money?
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highphi View Post
I don't think the Great River could be considered a "cost effective" flavour option... Aparently OK Computer was recorded entirley with the same kind of preamp that is in the ATB, it's on here somewhere deep deep in the archives... If you are in Europe chack out the DAV stuff. I have my eye on them at the moment.
I think that album would be a classic if it was recording on Behringer Euro Rack preamps.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search