The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rme babyface bad investment
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Head

Rme babyface bad investment

Hey guys I been debating on getting the rme babyface, ladyface, forte or motu16. I decided don't want to hurt my wallet. I need an interface that looks good and has a big volume knob also I do NO recording so I don't care about preamps. I have been using the fast track pro for decades now. Will a new interface sound different ?
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Nut

So you are only looking to get a new interface for playback only?
Out of the 3 you mentioned the Forte is the lowest priced, but for playback to be at its maximum output level it needs its wall power supply to be plugged in. This is a slight inconvenience if you are constantly moving around. The motu and the rme are able to play at max volume with just bus power.

Either way, with any of those interfaces, a good portion of the money being spent is paying for the high quality preamps and A/D conversion (which you won't be using if you aren't planning to record). So while any of these 3 interfaces will probably sound a bit better than your fast track during playback (due to improved D/A conversion) they won't sound $400-$750 better. Don't think you'd be getting a good bang for buck ratio IMO.
Old 14th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetrapbeats View Post
Hey guys I been debating on getting the rme babyface, ladyface, forte or motu16. I decided don't want to hurt my wallet. I need an interface that looks good and has a big volume knob also I do NO recording so I don't care about preamps. I have been using the fast track pro for decades now. Will a new interface sound different ?
All the audio interface you've mentioned have excellent AD/DA conversion (rme being superior in my opinion / although focusrite are well know for their pre amp quality).
The truth is, they make a huge difference to your input and output, and hopefully you'll be able to hear it. I have an Avid mbox in the studio that I used to use for my live electronic set as well, then I got an Apogee One since its compact and not too expensive! and I kid you not!!! there was not only a hugh difference in the clarity of playback, but I got more volume out of the apogee one too!.
You could consider the Apogee One!
Hope this helps.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Do you have a perfect acoustic space and uber-expensive monitors?

If not you probably won't hear that much of a difference.

Look up "Law of diminishing returns".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetrapbeats View Post
I need an interface that looks good...
Put some hot-rod flame stickers on it and it'll go faster, too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search