The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SM7B with X2U or iRig Pre?
Old 13th February 2014
Gear Nut

SM7B with X2U or iRig Pre?

Hi,

SM7B needs at least +60Db of preamp gain.

Here, someone mentions that X2u should work with SM7B in most but not all situations. What situations? This is confusing. I plan to use it only for voice overs.

About iRig Pre. This page says 48 V phantom power, not sure if that's related to gain level.

Your thoughts?
Old 13th February 2014
Gear Nut

Anyone?
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

The SM7 needs a little more power than those devices can provide.
With 50 DB of gain, it may be okay with a very loud singer, but probably not voice over work (too quiet)
I have an Irig pre, and wouldn't use it with the SM7, again not enough gain.
The 48v phantom power refers to using it with a condensor microphone, which needs power, and has nothing to do with gain.
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
The SM7 needs a little more power than those devices can provide.
With 50 DB of gain, it may be okay with a very loud singer, but probably not voice over work (too quiet)
I have an Irig pre, and wouldn't use it with the SM7, again not enough gain.
The 48v phantom power refers to using it with a condensor microphone, which needs power, and has nothing to do with gain.
How about normalizing the X2U output? Would it bring too much hiss/noise?
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonrot View Post
How about normalizing the X2U output? Would it bring too much hiss/noise?
Yes it will amplify the noise a lot.
The SM7 needs a lot of clean gain if you want to avoid noise and hiss.
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes it will amplify the noise a lot.
The SM7 needs a lot of clean gain if you want to avoid noise and hiss.
Any suggestions for a preamp for this mic? The cheaper the better.

Thanks a lot for the advice.
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Nut

I think this point has been made, but I would perhaps emphasize a bit more strongly, I would not use the IRig Pre for anything beyond a podcast of your blog. Certainly not for music production; noise is not your friend. It's noticeably noisier than an 80's Tascam M-50, which is already unacceptably noisy.

In fairness it may not be the Irig's fault but instead the input jack on the I-Device (I tried both phone and pad). Anyway, it's not a useful method of recording keeper tracks. Maybe for scratch, but you can just use the built in mic for that.

I returned it to GC after a day of testing.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any suggestions for a preamp for this mic? The cheaper the better.

Thanks a lot for the advice.
There are tonnes of threads here about pre's for the SM7, but there are no real "cheap" options.
Do you already own the SM7? If not, I would look at getting a less demanding microphone if you are on a tight budget.
I use a budget Rode NT1A with my Irig and it works fine.
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
There are tonnes of threads here about pre's for the SM7, but there are no real "cheap" options.
Do you already own the SM7? If not, I would look at getting a less demanding microphone if you are on a tight budget.
I use a budget Rode NT1A with my Irig and it works fine.
The thing is that I already have an AT2035, Rode NT1A sounds better but they are both in same boat. Perhaps buying a cloudlifter will fix the noise floor plus will make my cheap ribbon mics useful for once.
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The thing is that I already have an AT2035, Rode NT1A sounds better but they are both in same boat. Perhaps buying a cloudlifter will fix the noise floor plus will make my cheap ribbon mics useful for once.
Yes I meant to mention the Cloudlifter, or Fethead. That extra 20 Db gain might be enough to get you there.
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

There certainly are some great cheap options for the SM7b. I used both of these preamps in my setup with my SM7b: Rane MS1 and Mackie VLZ4. You can get these for around 100 bucks. Both provide over 65 db of gain. It's a myth these days that you need to spend a tone of money to get a good clean preamp. Get one of the two I mentioned and you'll do fine.
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
There certainly are some great cheap options for the SM7b. I used both of these preamps in my setup with my SM7b: Rane MS1 and Mackie VLZ4. You can get these for around 100 bucks. Both provide over 65 db of gain. It's a myth these days that you need to spend a tone of money to get a good clean preamp. Get one of the two I mentioned and you'll do fine.
Which one you recommend the most?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search