The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the digital revolution
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear
the digital revolution

I am really enjoying the digital revolution.

I have been able to buy some amazing analogue hardware for next to nothing. tape is still a bit trendy so i''ll see that off and wait for prices to fall then more decks will be coming home with me.

but for the future things look seriously bright and prices keep on falling across the board.
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Don't get your hopes up just yet. True there are many great analog decks out there cheap but tape will continue to rise in price. Maybe even skyrocket in price. There is a rumor circulating that RMGI is discontinuing 900 series which is their best tape. This does not bode well. I've the feeling RMGI will be gone soon leaving us only with ATR to supply fresh tape. The end of analog tape could come sooner than many thingk.
Old 13th February 2014
KFW
Gear Nut

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that digital will stomp out analog recording. Analog recording is already fairly antiquey and specialized, but I have a feeling it'll drop off VERY quickly. As far as prices, I imagine some of it will remain very pricey (and is it will only get more rare). But only the higher end stuff.

But with all of the digital producers that know nothing else, analog will be entirely pointless. I see absolutely no reason why a younger dude such as myself would dabble in analog recording unless I had the opportunity and/or curiousity.
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear
atr is the easiest for me to get so that's what I use.

it's not just tape though. it's compressors, eq, effects units and mics. the entire baseline gear list for a studio is now available for next to nothing. I have this thing I refer to as my $150 dollar mic cupboard. where I purposefully try and pay less than $150 for mics. I have one mike that cost me $250. my mics are serious mics, not some cheap mxl clone.

then there's outboard gear. $150 gets you some fairly good compressors. eq it's even less cash and your there.

the gear to have taken the biggest hit though are effects units. you can get units that were top shelf products 10 ears ago that now sell for under $100 because of plugins. it's insanely good.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

This also includes mixing boards.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
atr is the easiest for me to get so that's what I use.

then there's outboard gear. $150 gets you some fairly good compressors. eq it's even less cash and your there.

the gear to have taken the biggest hit though are effects units. you can get units that were top shelf products 10 ears ago that now sell for under $100 because of plugins. it's insanely good.
ATR is great tape and I keep some for top shelf recordings. Plugin's are ok but having worked with the real units not every plugin reproduces what it's claiming to do. Tape echo is yet to be perfectly emulated.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear
tape delay is something I really need to explore more of. I had some great results tracking thru tape and to digital at the same time but never played with the full possibilities.
Old 14th February 2014
Here for the gear

"I just want to say one word to you -- just one word -- 'Kodachrome.'"
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP2CD View Post
I'm a canon man myself.
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Guru

Note to self: Go on gear shopping tip to Australia.
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Guru

Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
it was even better when we had a good exchange rate but now places like the uk and Europe are pretty much off limits for me.

still can't be anywhere near as good as the US. bigger population and all.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

The digital revolution has made me a pre80's fender amp collector.
I have 3 now.heh
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear
awesome.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Care to share some of your better scores?
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz View Post
Care to share some of your better scores?
Attached Thumbnails
the digital revolution-amp-001.jpg   the digital revolution-fender-004.jpg   the digital revolution-fender-003.jpg  
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear
there is only one rule in bargain club.....

never talk about the bargains........ :-)
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Gougemeister,

Using this studio tomorrow.

Linear Recording

I'm salivating already.

Can't wait to sit in front of the AWA/Quad Eight and outboard.

Cheers
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear
nice one knickknack. such an awesome looking studio and gear. I remember 3-4 years back the linear website had a gear nerds section where they went into intimate detail on the gear. I used to drool. awa is the biz. they were a step ahead of rca at one point in time. best of luck with the session. you are very lucky!

I stumbled across this website the other day. looks like a nic place to play. :-)
equipment - Elmwood Recording

last night I got word that there may be a possible lead on something that accepts 8 channels at once and is 1" wide........ time will tell........
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

unfortunately that one is in Texas.

Beautiful studio with tons of outboard.

Here is another one in Melbourne.

Studio recording and mastering service Melbourne - Black Pearl Studios

Cheers
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Nice Fender amps! Which reminds me I have to finish recapping my Fender. But why pre 80's Fenders? Most Fender players say pre CBS is the only way to go. My Fender is a 71 post CBS. What happened after the 80's? I never needed to think about amps as I like mine.
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
Nice Fender amps! Which reminds me I have to finish recapping my Fender. But why pre 80's Fenders? Most Fender players say pre CBS is the only way to go. My Fender is a 71 post CBS. What happened after the 80's? I never needed to think about amps as I like mine.
There were good fender amps after the 80's too but that's just my criteria for collecting.79 or older only.Pre CBS,yeah if i can snag one i will.

I re-capped the Vibro Champ last week.The vibrato sounds like a helicopter now and you can barely hear it hum anymore.
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
There were good fender amps after the 80's too but that's just my criteria for collecting.79 or older only.Pre CBS,yeah if i can snag one i will.

I re-capped the Vibro Champ last week.The vibrato sounds like a helicopter now and you can barely hear it hum anymore.
We had a little tweed champ we used in the studio. Could overdrive it in a way that made it not only sound warm but super fat as well. After a while it was the only thing my guitarist played through. I just pulled out some of the recordings we did on it and totally unique sound. I think it was miced for solos with an ancient U-67. I'd love to find another one even my little Princeton is too big these days.
Old 16th February 2014
Lives for gear
I've got a little bogen tube pa from the 60's with a fender champ preamp stage mod. so the original preamp stage was pulled and replaced with a 5f1circuit and the output circuit kept stock. bought it on ebay for $100 from a guy in the states that does mods to vintage pa's and seels them.

the thing is a monster. it's super fat. we use it for muff orientated guitars. plus with bass where we want a really fat distorted bass sound.

have also got a $150 amp collection going.

vox ac4, big white monkey and blackheart killer ant with a mod. not vintage gear but lots of fun.
Old 16th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP2CD View Post
neopan 1600 is finished too
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search