The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Going from ITB PTLE rig to MixPlus + Console? Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 20th October 2006
Lives for gear

Going from ITB PTLE rig to MixPlus + Console?

My boss and I are going through potential ideas to ditch our 002r + Control24 rig with Pro Tools LE 7.1, and get a Mixplus system and console (perhaps a second hand soundtracs/soundcraft/amek etc) and taking our projects OTB.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd appreciate advice on all aspects, including console decisions

Cheers

Al
Old 21st October 2006
Lives for gear

What's your plug-in strategy? Do you have any 002 plugs that will transfer?
Old 21st October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano View Post
What's your plug-in strategy? Do you have any 002 plugs that will transfer?
McDSP, Waves SSL and URS...all RTAS, as far as I know.

Al
Old 21st October 2006
Gear Head

my advice, keep your current rig, maybe update your computer to one of the ones recommended at digi with equivalent power of an hd rig

have a simple rack mixer for out of the box, and run a hybrid ITB OTB rig, almost like a summing box type config.

Im running an LE rig and a soundtracs 32ch and do occasional OTB mixes, but the recall ability is always an issue.

mix plus are now defunct and unsupported and whilst they are cheap, that money could be best spent on outboard gear maybe ?

my 2c
Old 21st October 2006
Lives for gear

The recall, and automation facilities are something that I am wondering if I will miss. More-so the automation. I do a lot of mults/busses, and I'm an avid fan of the Multi-buss technique, so a desk with AT LEAST 16 busses would probably be essential.

We'd have to buy half a dozen outboard boxes as well - at least one other reverb/delay unit, minimum of 3 stereo compressors for my multibussing...

Our PC is currently the highest spec digi-approved PC on the market Power within Pro Tools is great - but we are approaching this more from a Gearslutz angle! I'm just wondering whether its a) cost effective, b) a step backwards in terms of flexibility and c) would it actually improve my mixes? I probably don't realise just how flexible PT is for routing, so I'm hoping I'm not going to struggle if I move OTB.

On the other hand, would the benefits of a real, large format analogue console negate all my current worries?

Thanks

Al
Old 21st October 2006
Lives for gear

Why not migrate more gradually? Get the console & use the 18 outs from LE, and then see how it's suiting you...
Old 21st October 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
If you go with a legacy MIX system, say goodbye to your Waves SSL plugs, they won't work on it. Personally I'd say there's no good reason to change from what you're using. There are many who prefer the workflow of working on an analog console, but from a purely ITB vs. OTB perspective, as long as you are gain staging properly ITB you shouldn't experience any leap forward in sonics, other than coloration from whatever particular console you might use.
Old 21st October 2006
Gear Head

I agree with six_wax. Give the OTB a whirl, as that will offer a greater shift in method and sound.

Mix systems are fine. When I finally got one, I really wasn't sure what the fuss was about.

HD. Great. Great Console. Great. Mix... Meh.
Old 21st October 2006
Lives for gear

How many hits were made on Mix rigs with OTB mixing between '99 and '03?

It's an approach. Is it the most cost-effective approach in '06? Maybe -- maybe not. But it was a valid approach that produced the majority of radio-ready productions for the first half of the decade.

Can you get a Mix+ (or Mix Cubed) and 32 or 40 or 48 channels of very low-latency analog with completely flexible routing way cheap? Yeah. Find some AD8000 SE's and you've got state-of-the-art 2003...do mixes really sound better now? Mix cubed, five (!) 888/24's...that's, what, $5k (ROUGH ballpark)? Maybe less? Unbelievable!

Maybe stack out a PT Mix room with Mix Farms and an exp chassis and have a "B" room production room with a Digi 002 and soft-synths, etc. Use the B room for production and the Mix room for mixing and large-format live tracking. Get a Big Ben and keep both rooms clocked to it at 44.1.

I don't know, but you might be able to find people willing to sell their PT/MIX plug-in licenses cheap, if they've made the HD jump and the stuff's just sitting there. Just a thought.
Old 21st October 2006
Sounds like a good strategy to me.

D.
Old 21st October 2006
Gear Nut

Gregg is pyschic !!

Gregg - Thanks for validationg my setup !!

Mix++ with 4 Ad8K SE's - digi and DAC VIII cards - clocked by Big Ben - summing to folcrom. Mix to ATR 102 1/4". Lots of outboard. All bought used for relatively short dough - lots of bang for the buck. Only difference is I am starting to clock at 48k now that I am mixing to tape since there are no SRC issues. -- Rob
Old 22nd October 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies so far.

Does anyone else have anything to add?

Incidentally, what should I be looking at if I were wanting a large format console, with at least 24 channels and 16 (but ideally 24) busses? Obviously, decent eq is a must. Price to be below £3000, new or used.

Cheers

Al

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search