The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What can you tell me about the "API" preamp
Old 11th February 2014
Gear Maniac

What can you tell me about the "API" preamp

I am thinking about buying this preamp and am wondering if it's anything special.

Any info would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
What can you tell me about the "API" preamp-rack001b.jpg  
Old 11th February 2014
Here for the gear

I don't know that preamp specifically, but I have a pair of API 512C's and they are my absolute favorite mic preamp. Huge, warm open sound, very clean. I prefer it hands down over my other preamp which is a Vintech X73i (Neve 1073 clone.)
Old 11th February 2014
Lives for gear

I am not sure if this particular unit is "anything special" but API mic pres certainly are. I have other that I like a little better, but API mic pres are awesome. Big and full with a lot of detail and a slight midrange forwardness that makes that a favorite of many for drums.
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

Basically, yes, it is special.Vintage api 312. Highly desirable, and will retain value. Some engineers say the old ones sound the best, naturally.

You should verify what op amp it has in it as this will make a difference in sound and authenticity.
Old 12th February 2014
Gear Guru

Great preamp. The only thing you might wish it had is an output knob (like Neves and some others have).
Old 12th February 2014
That's not an API Preamp.
That is a BAE 312, and it ROCKS!!!!
Love those...But I also like the API 512c, it sounds nice too, can't go wrong with either.
The BAE is more in-yo face sounding. Dig it....
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Maniac

No, since it says "Made from vintage API components", it actually is an original API 312, an old one, that Brent Averill put in a new enclosure back in the 80's-90's.

It is not one of the current models.

I have two of them, they sound great, as someone say, rich, full, and a bit mid forward. Have always been considered great for drums. I prefer it over my original 1073 with a U67 for vocals too.

PS and yes it does have an output knob.

Last edited by bluejbill; 15th February 2014 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: Additional info
Old 16th February 2014
the BAE 312B sound awesome. I personally love API pres, as they work well with my voice. I also own a Neve 511, which sounds good with a lot of voices too. I heard Jay-Z doesn't perform anywhere without the Neve Portico 2 pre which is the same as the 511. But ya API is great.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search