The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JBL 4300s power fluctuations - what to buy?
Old 10th February 2014
Here for the gear

JBL 4300s power fluctuations - what to buy?

Hi all,

I have a some 4300 series speakers/sub, and they cut out when any change to the power is made. E.g a light switch is flicked, a fridge starts to cool, something is plugged into the mains power.

This is the second place I have had them, and they did the same at both places.

I really love the sound of these speakers, but it is very annoying when they cut out.

Is it possible to buy something which can stop power fluctuations, that I can plug them in to?

I am guessing a UPS would do the trick, however powering the sub and two 4328s, would require a fairly beefy UPS which would cost a lot?
Any options for getting this sorted cheaply?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Twiddle
Old 10th February 2014
Lives for gear

Hummm...

I have 4326s, never heard them cut out like this. Yes, I would try a UPS first. Just for grins have you disconnected the sub, then tried the light switch?
Old 12th February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
Hummm...

I have 4326s, never heard them cut out like this. Yes, I would try a UPS first. Just for grins have you disconnected the sub, then tried the light switch?
Yeah, they do it without the Sub also.

The sub is 450W, and the speakers 220 each.

So a total of 890W.

Does this mean I would need a UPS that can handle a minimum of 890W, or is it never going to reach that level of power?
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

I would start by looking at APCs website. They have a calculator for determining what model would work best. I'm not a EE, but I am a Network Admin Guy. I've used a bunch of APC UPSs on "big dog" servers, they work great.

Last time I looked APC had an 800 number. I would give them a call before buying anything. FWIW, I've never used a UPS for audio gear so I'm speculating as to how well this will work for you. In other words, don't take my word for it.

Lets keep this thread alive, maybe someone who has done this will weigh in.

DaveT
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

A UPS will not help (unless your voltage is way low). I own a pair of 4328's and have had a similar issue. I have a pair of 1500VA UPS units (plenty of capacity; will maintain power within a half-cycle) powering my studio and the JBL's still cut out requiring a new power-up occasionally (pulling the AC cable and re-inserting). I've had a couple of talks with JBL tech support on this and the response is basically "it's not a bug, it's a feature" to protect the speakers. This is unique to JBL; I've never had a problem similar to this with any other powered monitors at any location. First thing to do is check your line voltage. I had many more problems with a line voltage of 114-116V (which theoretically should be fine) at my old location than I do now with incoming line voltage just over 120V. Love the sound of these speakers but they're way too sensitive to line voltage fluctuations. Do complain to JBL. Maybe they'll eventually do a firmware update to eliminate this very irritating problem. Also, this seems to be common …. have a friend with a pair (non-UPS powered) who has the same issue with his 4328's.
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

Looks like mikeka has the answer. I was on the JBL pro website the other day, pretty sure I saw a firmware update for the 4300s. Both of you have probably done this. I didn't because my 4326s are doing fine.

Seems a shame for JBL to ignore an issue like this.

Something just came to mind: are you guys playing the speakers really loud? I've never turned mine up full tilt.

DaveT
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks like mikeka has the answer. I was on the JBL pro website the other day, pretty sure I saw a firmware update for the 4300s.

Something just came to mind: are you guys playing the speakers really loud? I've never turned mine up full tilt.

DaveT
Wasn't aware of a firmware update. I'll have to go look. Thanks!

What we're talking about happens at idle. Speakers not outputting audio at all so no, doesn't happen with volume up.
Old 14th February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
A UPS will not help (unless your voltage is way low). I own a pair of 4328's and have had a similar issue. I have a pair of 1500VA UPS units (plenty of capacity; will maintain power within a half-cycle) powering my studio and the JBL's still cut out requiring a new power-up occasionally (pulling the AC cable and re-inserting). I've had a couple of talks with JBL tech support on this and the response is basically "it's not a bug, it's a feature" to protect the speakers. This is unique to JBL; I've never had a problem similar to this with any other powered monitors at any location. First thing to do is check your line voltage. I had many more problems with a line voltage of 114-116V (which theoretically should be fine) at my old location than I do now with incoming line voltage just over 120V. Love the sound of these speakers but they're way too sensitive to line voltage fluctuations. Do complain to JBL. Maybe they'll eventually do a firmware update to eliminate this very irritating problem. Also, this seems to be common …. have a friend with a pair (non-UPS powered) who has the same issue with his 4328's.

Thanks for the info. I will get in contact with JBL, as you suggest. Hopefully they can fix it with a firmware update.
Old 14th February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Looks like mikeka has the answer. I was on the JBL pro website the other day, pretty sure I saw a firmware update for the 4300s. Both of you have probably done this. I didn't because my 4326s are doing fine.

Seems a shame for JBL to ignore an issue like this.

DaveT
The latest firmware I could find was 2.5, released in 2010. They are already running that unfortunately.

Yeah as Mikeka said, this happens even when they are not outputting audio, purely just a power fluctuation thing.
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Head

I have a pair of 4326's and they tend to switch themselves off in a similar manner whenever I get power spikes/ voltage fluctuations on the power line. Only 3 or 4 times a year, normally accompanied by lights dimming (generally caused by vehicle/power pole accidents), so definitely a weird voltage situation.

ps. An 'online' UPS could probably rectify (hurr) this issue, but they're very expensive. They go AC->DC->AC reconstructing the sine on the output at all times instead of having a link to the input AC that then switches over to the DC->AC line on an outage. So they tend to keep a steady output voltage regardless of the input voltage fluctuations.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

My 4326s have never done this. I'm running them in analog mode. Are you guys using one of the other connection types?

DaveT
Old 14th February 2014
Gear Head

I use the analog inputs myself. If it's related to line voltage (which is what I've experienced), then not everyone is going to have a similar experience depending on how stable their electricity supply is.
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
I use the analog inputs myself. If it's related to line voltage (which is what I've experienced), then not everyone is going to have a similar experience depending on how stable their electricity supply is.
Humm. OK, my house is about 13 years old, neighborhood is about the same. I seem to have very stable power.

Wish I could be more help, but I'm out of ideas.
DaveT
Old 14th February 2014
Here for the gear

Both of the places I have had these speakers have been relatively old places, so the power situation is probably not ideal.

Having said that, every other appliance works completely fine with the power at my place.

Running both Digital (from television) and analogue (from mixer), but it doesn't matter which, the speakers just detect a change in power and shut of for half a second.

I guess the only option is an online UPS, or JBL releasing firmware to fix it. The latter seems unlikely.
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
My 4326s have never done this. I'm running them in analog mode. Are you guys using one of the other connection types?

DaveT
Analog input here.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search