The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME Fireface 400, Converters good enough!?
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

RME Fireface 400, Converters good enough!?

Hiya guys,

the plan is summing my productions (techno/house) with a analog summing mixer based on the Neumann v475 and record the sum on a nice calibrated hi-end studer tape machine. (and then send to mastering)

Now the problem with analog summing I see, is that analog summing only makes sense when you have the right/good D/A converters.
Everything else will not be worth leaving the computer running logic.

So I have 2x RME Fireface 400 and I was wondering if its converters are good enough for that job?
I presume that..?! Of course some Antelope,Prism orpheus, Apogees, Lynx Hilo..etc might be even better.. but my goal is not top hi-end converters, just some that are suitable and good enough for the job

What do you guys think?
Better rent some converters for analog summing and recording sum on tape or give them RME's a try?
Old 9th February 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

Well I have a FF400 that I bought here about 2yrs ago and used to use a 400/800 for several years for a guy I did a lot of work for (the mobile rig.Used Aurora in house.)
I think the drivers are what have kept me an RME user as they're unmatched imo. I don't use the pre's often but do use the instrument in for bass and guitar, as my U5 has been humming lately. Very clean DI. I also don't use the DA for monitoring as I use a DBox.

I think the AD is 'good' but there certainly is several better options and I was reminded by that recently while listening to stuff we tracked through RADAR. The 400 AD sounds a little 'hard' comparatively to my ears.But overall, for my use,I really have no complaints. I think if you can do a comparison it might be a good idea. I wouldn't rule out a UFX either, which is an upgrade on the ADDA side
Old 9th February 2014
Lives for gear

at the mod who moved this: there are 2 posts missing.. !
Old 15th February 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

another hit n run poster! woot
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Head

for ADDA only: ADI-8 > ADI-2 = FF800 > FF400

the converter of adi-2, at a lower price, kills ff400
Old 15th February 2014
The converters in a $100 sound card are good enough to make great sounding songs. so if you cannot do it with your RME ,getting better converters will not help you as the problem will not be your converters

CJ
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Maniac

I own a ff800 and used to have an adi2.
Also before ff800 i had a hdsp9652.

The thing rme excels is the driver stability and latency performance.
There are constant updates. Getting better and better.
Sound quality is decent. What you hear is superior than conventional audio interfaces.
For short, RME is good at interfacing your computer.

I myself prefer dedicated adda converters hooked to rme interfaces.
(Currently an Antelope Orion32)
Old 15th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by midmost View Post
Hiya guys,

the plan is summing my productions (techno/house) with a analog summing mixer based on the Neumann v475 and record the sum on a nice calibrated hi-end studer tape machine. (and then send to mastering)

Now the problem with analog summing I see, is that analog summing only makes sense when you have the right/good D/A converters.
Everything else will not be worth leaving the computer running logic.

So I have 2x RME Fireface 400 and I was wondering if its converters are good enough for that job?
I presume that..?! Of course some Antelope,Prism orpheus, Apogees, Lynx Hilo..etc might be even better.. but my goal is not top hi-end converters, just some that are suitable and good enough for the job

What do you guys think?
Better rent some converters for analog summing and recording sum on tape or give them RME's a try?
Well, I would not do an extra DAAD with a FF800, that's for sure.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search