The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Owens Corning 703/705 VS Duct Board Utility Software
Old 19th October 2006
Gear Addict

Owens Corning 703/705 VS Duct Board

I am pretty new to the acoustics of a room, but from everything I have read I have decided to not spend another dime on equipment until I get my listening environment more accurate. I am looking into building some bass traps for my room. Can anyone tell me the difference between a product such as Owens Corning 703/705 and Duct Board?

The reason I ask, is because a local supplier can get the Duct Board pretty easily, but I don’t want to purchase it if it’s not going to get the job done correctly.

Thanks
Old 19th October 2006
Gear Guru

Cheech,

> Can anyone tell me the difference between a product such as Owens Corning 703/705 and Duct Board? <

They're the same, and you can compare what your supplier has by its density. 703 is 3 pounds per cubic foot, and 705 is 6 pounds. As long as the duct board you're considering is basically "rigid fiberglass" it will work.

--Ethan
Old 19th October 2006
Gear Addict

Awesome My search is over!!!!!!

So correct me if I am wrong...... The 705 or 6lb per Cubic Ft would be better for the lower end trapping?

Also when mounting the insulation inside the frames, should I place both 2" pieces together for a total of 4" ? or do I leave space inbetween them?

Thanks so much Ethan!
Old 19th October 2006
Gear Guru

Cheech,

> The 705 or 6lb per Cubic Ft would be better for the lower end trapping? <

Yes, see my Density Report:

www.ethanwiner.com/density/density.html

> Also when mounting the insulation inside the frames, should I place both 2" pieces together for a total of 4" ? or do I leave space inbetween them? <

No space. You don't need glue either. Just place them adjacent and it's the same as one piece four inches thick.

--Ethan
Old 19th October 2006
I think one thing you may be overlooking is......

While duct board may be easier to find, it is much more expensive.

www.insulationworld.com can hook you up int the US with mineral wool @ 30-40 a bail. If 2" then 6 pieces in a bail 4"= 3 a bail, and so forth....

Good luck!

David
Old 19th October 2006
kpc
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
I am pretty new to the acoustics of a room, but from everything I have read I have decided to not spend another dime on equipment until I get my listening environment more accurate. I am looking into building some bass traps for my room. Can anyone tell me the difference between a product such as Owens Corning 703/705 and Duct Board?

The reason I ask, is because a local supplier can get the Duct Board pretty easily, but I don’t want to purchase it if it’s not going to get the job done correctly.

Thanks
Have you actually looked at the room through a scope? I was going through the same thoughts with my studio. I thought I needed to add some bass traps and diffusors around the room. I have a friend who does acoustic treatments for a living and he came in with his scope and we measured the room. To my great suprise, the room is really decent, and pretty flat along the range save for a few boosts in the 45-140 Htz range - something we can change with either a decent EQ or a little bit of acoustic treatment. I was very surprised.

I had just assumed that the room needed treatment - when in fact, not nearly as much as I had told myself i was going to have to spend. Just a thought...
Old 19th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc View Post
I have a friend who does acoustic treatments for a living and he came in with his scope and we measured the room. To my great suprise, the room is really decent, and pretty flat along the range save for a few boosts in the 45-140 Htz range - something we can change with either a decent EQ or a little bit of acoustic treatment. I was very surprised.
Don't use an EQ to get those frequencies out - it doesn't work. you need to absorb the peaks with treatment. And did he measure the reverb time, or just frequency response?

-Craig
Old 19th October 2006
Gear Addict

Ethan: I read the density report. So it looks like I would be better off covering more area with 2-4" thickness than to treat less of the room with thicker pieces.
Thanks so much for your help. I am going to try and get a diagram of my room with dimensions up here soon. Maybe you can make some suggestions on where my room would most benefit from the traps.

Thanks again!!!!

dpasch: I have a friend here who just bought a lot of that Duct board for what sounded like a pretty good price, and he is about to buy a bunch more, from a wholesaler/supply house. I am going to look into the price and compare to the link you sent. Thanks for the heads up on that!!!!!! I greatly appreciate it!

Like I said hopefully I can get a diagram of my room up with some measurements, so you guys could make some suggestions on placement of the traps for the most benefit.
Old 20th October 2006
Gear Addict

I have not had my room scoped or any other type of test, but I know my mixes are always hit or miss in the low end.

What would be a good way to test your room out without spending a fortune?

My room is 36 x 22 with 10' Ceilings.
Old 20th October 2006
Lives for gear

Man, the mineral wool I just bought must be one pound then!!! This stuff is like cotton candy density, ....nice. I have 10 premade traps 703 4in. from 2 different doodz in the studio right now, but I wanted to DIY a few more. Ill just it to death and make it denser hehe...you need serious eye and nose coverage with this stuff though!

Sometimes its better to buy them than DIY, even if you have the ability to do it....
Old 20th October 2006
Gear Addict

Yeah, I would much rather buy them, but I dont have the extra dough to cough up. If I can get good results DIY then thats the route I have to go. I have some pretty good craftsman friends that do awesome work, so I am going to run this by them as soon as I settle on what I want to do. Prolly gonna be making a trip to the Depot this weekend to check out what sort of materials are available for framing.
Old 20th October 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc
To my great suprise, the room is really decent, and pretty flat along the range save for a few boosts in the 45-140 Htz range - something we can change with either a decent EQ or a little bit of acoustic treatment. I was very surprised.
I'm more than surprised. heh

How big is the room? And how was it measured? At 1/3 octave spacing, or with a high-resolution system like TEF or ETF etc?

Also, I agree with the advice to not use EQ - it doesn't work and usually makes things worse.

--Ethan
Old 23rd October 2006
Gear Addict

Sorry I am posting this again.

What would be a good way to test your room out without spending a fortune?

My room is 36 x 22 with 10' Ceilings.
Old 23rd October 2006
Gear Guru

Cheech,

> What would be a good way to test your room out without spending a fortune? <

Clap your hands? heh

I use ETF (Windows) which costs $150. There's also FuzzMeasure for Macs ($100 I think), and the Room EQ Wizard for Windows, Macs, and Linux which is free.

> My room is 36 x 22 with 10' Ceilings. <

A room that size needs a fair amount of treatment. The surfaces affect how much you need, as does the intended purpose. That is, a live room with a wood floor will be treated differently than a control room with carpet. But all rooms need as much broadband bass trapping as possible, and the mids and highs can be adjusted to taste, or even changed on the spot as needed. My one-room studio is similar in size, and I have 17 8-foot tall bass traps, 12 4-foot bass traps, and a fair amount of mid/high frequency absorption. And I use it as a live room as well as a control room, so that gives you some sense of what you'll need.

--Ethan
Old 24th October 2006
Gear Addict

WOW!!!!!!

I was planning on starting with the 12 4 ' traps already, but had no clue I would need that much. Well, gotta start somewhere.

I'll look into the FuzeMeasure since I am on a Mac.

Thanks Ethan!!!!
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Addict

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I have a density related question.

As I am based in the UK all densities are kilograms per metre cubed, what sort of density is the equivilent of Owens Corning 703 or something of that sort of specification?

The options are 45kg, 60kgs, 80kgs, 100kgs and 140kgs all per metre cubed, respectively.

Thanks slutz
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlouch View Post
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I have a density related question.

As I am based in the UK all densities are kilograms per metre cubed, what sort of density is the equivilent of Owens Corning 703 or something of that sort of specification?

The options are 45kg, 60kgs, 80kgs, 100kgs and 140kgs all per metre cubed, respectively.

Thanks slutz
Multiply Kg/cu m by 0.0624 to get lbs/ cu ft.
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Addict

Much obliged. Will have to note that calculation down

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search