The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making the most of mixer real estate? re sends 5&6 on a Mackie
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Head

Making the most of mixer real estate? re sends 5&6 on a Mackie

Hi all,

I've been trying to add a new send FX on the 5th send of my Mackie 32 mixer. Up until now I've only used 4 sends. The last 2 sends, 5 & 6, toggle with knobs used for 3 & 4 with a toggle switch.

The problem is that toggling to sends 5 & 6... completely mutes sends 3 & 4.

This seems kind of self-defeating, and makes sends 5 & 6 kind of useless. Is there any wizardry to make sends 5&6 more useful? Any good way to get more mileage out of my mixer real estate?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Head

Anyone? :/ Or should I settle on only having 4 practically usable sends?
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

I think you're correct that there's no way around the 3/4 or 5/6 issue.

That said, if you aren't using the Mix-B capability, you could route the signals for Aux 5 thru Mix-B, then send the output from Mix-B to your effect. Then, if you have free channels, run the return from Mix-B to two channels. If you don't have free channels you could run it back into the 2-Track or External Inputs.
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Head

Thanks for the advice! I'm new to using Mix-B but that would allow for 1 extra "send", using the gain knob for Mix B? Sweet!

Now if only I could fix my 2 intermittant channels so easily. I have one with a shoddy mute button and one that's intemittant at the trim knob, not looking forward to trying to disassemble this thing to repair.
Old 2nd February 2014
Lives for gear

I haven't been into mine, so I can't help you there.

I think you're right though - I seem to remember reading they are a PITA to work on. Also, I think I read that the ribbon cables are delicate, to try not to flex the wires anymore than absolutely necessary.

But yeah, Mix-B can act as another stereo send, or now that I think about it you could wire each side of the Mix-B circuit as a mono send if you are returning to two center panned channels (instead of the 2-Track input, which as assigned to L+R). You'd use the Mix-B balance to control the amount of each effect on the track. I haven't tried this, but seems to me like it would work.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search