The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME UFX - Using an EXTERNAL PRE ?
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

RME UFX - Using an EXTERNAL PRE ?

I would like to start using some of my "External Pre Amps" pluging them into my RME UFX interface. SHOULD I use the analog inputs that are on the FRONT of the UFX - OR - use the analog inputs that are on the BACK of the UFX ??? Which ones would be the BEST ones to use for the best audio quality??

Thanks in advance!
Old 30th January 2014
The front inputs are always going through the built-in pre signal path, even if you're not using the RME to boost the signal. So I'd say your best bet is to use the rear connectors, which are direct, unaltered line inputs (although you do have the option of specifying the reference level at -10 or +4). The rear inputs are all 1/4" TRS, so depending on your preamp you might need an XLR-to-TRS cable or adapter.

One other thing that's different between the front and rear inputs is that the 1/4" connections on the front combo jacks are unbalanced (even though it's technically a TRS connection), while the XLR connection is balanced. I guess they're expecting you'd be plugging instruments to the front jacks, which usually have unbalanced connections.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Head

But you get better AD running through the front.

Quote:
Advanced Parallel Conversion . The four UFX preamps are feeding not only four, but eight AD converters.
Try both - use your ears
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search