The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Probably a stupid question
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Nut

Probably a stupid question

But here goes anyway:

So when I'm looking at my mix with a RTA plug-in on the 2-bus, I notice that the top end of the graph rolls off at 20K but still goes off the graph albeit at around -80dB or so while commercial mixes seem to drop off the chart completely right at about 20kH with absolutely no carry-over beyond.

Even if I low pass everything at 20k or even 18k, I still see it bleed out off the chart.

I'm assuming this is something that's done in mastering but I'm curious as to how or if I'm missing something.

Thanks
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Sylvester View Post
But here goes anyway:

So when I'm looking at my mix with a RTA plug-in on the 2-bus, I notice that the top end of the graph rolls off at 20K but still goes off the graph albeit at around -80dB or so while commercial mixes seem to drop off the chart completely right at about 20kH with absolutely no carry-over beyond.

Even if I low pass everything at 20k or even 18k, I still see it bleed out off the chart.

I'm assuming this is something that's done in mastering but I'm curious as to how or if I'm missing something.

Thanks
You may be seeing a characteristic of your low pass filter. It depends on how much roll off per octave your filtering is set at as to how steep of a cutoff you will see on either hi pass or low pass filtering. Some filters are have set slopes around (just throwing this out there) 18dB per octave or something around that and selectable to a steeper slope (the higher the dB per octave, the more severe the cutoff is). Mastering engineers have a plethora of options at their disposal for filtering purposes. Just my thoughts.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search