The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What gear should I add to my RME Fireface UC?
Old 30th January 2014
  #1
Here for the gear
 

What gear should I add to my RME Fireface UC?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I'm looking for some advice on what to get next. I currently use a RME Fireface UC as my main interface. The preamps sound great but I can't seem to get the vocal sound I want. My question is, would I benefit more by adding a Mic Preamp or a better microphone? Of course I would love to upgrade both but money is limited.

If I were to add a Mic Preamp, would I have to get something on the high end in order to hear a difference over the Fireface preamps? I'm guessing you would chain the two and bypass the Fireface preamps? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Gear:
Interface - RME Fireface UC
Computer - Macbook pro, SSD, 16 GB RAM
Mic - Oktava MK-319 (modded)
DAW - Reaper


Thanks in advance!
Old 30th January 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyelectrik View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I'm looking for some advice on what to get next. I currently use a RME Fireface UC as my main interface. The preamps sound great but I can't seem to get the vocal sound I want. My question is, would I benefit more by adding a Mic Preamp or a better microphone? Of course I would love to upgrade both but money is limited.

If I were to add a Mic Preamp, would I have to get something on the high end in order to hear a difference over the Fireface preamps? I'm guessing you would chain the two and bypass the Fireface preamps? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Gear:
Interface - RME Fireface UC
Computer - Macbook pro, SSD, 16 GB RAM
Mic - Oktava MK-319 (modded)
DAW - Reaper


Thanks in advance!
Those particular preamps and converters are pretty much as transparent as it gets. They are great in that respect. Yes, you would benefit from adding a preamp with some character to it. I like the Great River through the UCX a lot, but even a "clean" pre like the DAV BG brings something to the table.

What you're hearing is a very true representation of your mic.

And while your mic is good and unhyped (I have a Joly modded 319 too) I wouldn't want it as my only vocal mic, and you probably wouldn't either. Most of the sound comers from the mic, and that's what you're hearing.

So I would focus on getting the best vocal mic that works for you first, even through colourless pres like the UCX. Try out different mics. Once you have found that you can look at adding a bit of weight and/or dimension through a good pre external amp with a bit of character.
Old 30th January 2014
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear View Post
Those particular preamps and converters are pretty much as transparent as it gets. They are great in that respect. Yes, you would benefit from adding a preamp with some character to it. I like the Great River through the UCX a lot, but even a "clean" pre like the DAV BG brings something to the table.

What you're hearing is a very true representation of your mic.

And while your mic is good and unhyped (I have a Joly modded 319 too) I wouldn't want it as my only vocal mic, and you probably wouldn't either. Most of the sound comers from the mic, and that's what you're hearing.

So I would focus on getting the best vocal mic that works for you first, even through colourless pres like the UCX. Try out different mics. Once you have found that you can look at adding a bit of weight and/or dimension through a good pre external amp with a bit of character.
Thanks for the reply Topgear. I'm looking at getting a Shure sm7b, since I've used these at other studios and liked the sound. Do you have any opinion on the Golden Age Project Pre-73? I'm keeping an eye out for a solid budget preamp.
Old 30th January 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyelectrik View Post
Thanks for the reply Topgear. I'm looking at getting a Shure sm7b, since I've used these at other studios and liked the sound. Do you have any opinion on the Golden Age Project Pre-73? I'm keeping an eye out for a solid budget preamp.
I haven't tried the Golden Age one, only heard it in use. It seems like a decent option if you are not ready for something like the GR. Although as far as I know it's a dark pre, and SM7b is a dark, round sounding mic...the combo may be a little much in that direction, but if that's your taste then it's good.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump