The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connecting ISA 828 to a RME Fireface UC
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Nut

Connecting ISA 828 to a RME Fireface UC

Hi all,

I've just purchased an ISA 828 to connect to a RME Fireface UC. The problem is I have no idea how to link the two.

Has anyone been through this exact problem and can offer advice?

I've ordered an optical digital cable. Can anyone advise on settings on the ISA and RME Total Mix?

Will the ISA become the slave unit?

Thanks if anyone can help with this.

G
Old 30th January 2014
eb7
Gear Addict

I used to have an FFUC, and it has TRS and ADAT inputs. Looking at the ISA828, it seems like the AD conversion is an upgrade/add-on. If yours has it, you can just use the ADAT. If not, it looks like DB25-TRS is the way to go.

As far as TotalMix goes, I only ever got anything done through trial and error. It might take awhile, but you'll figure it out eventually. Make sure to write it down once you do.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks eb7… Thanks for taking the time to get back. I've emailed Focusrite but it may take a while for them to get back and I'm keen to try out this thing!

I have the add on digital card so ADAT is the way to go I think as you mentioned.

Same for me with Total mix. I've had to for 3 years and only now I'm understanding the routing. But I've not had to figure out anything but analogue inputs. As you say trial and error.

Thanks again
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

best method is to run ADAT out of ISA into UC.. then wordclock out of UC into ISA and set the ISA to wordclock input.. UC will be master and ISA slave..

Then you just use the ADAT inputs on top row in totalmix like you do your analog inputs already but obviously your gain is on the ISA etc.. And in your DAW you select ADAT 1-8 for ISA channels etc..

EDIT: If you need to use the ISA for outputs also you will need to run an ADAT cable out of UC back into ISA also.. Thats not needing though if you just want to use the ISA for pre amp inputs.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb View Post
EDIT: If you need to use the ISA for outputs also you will need to run an ADAT cable out of UC back into ISA also.. Thats not needing though if you just want to use the ISA for pre amp inputs.
Not gonna work, the ISA doesn't do D/A
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagery View Post
Not gonna work, the ISA doesn't do D/A
it has a DB25 connection labelled analogue outputs on it.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebulb View Post
it has a DB25 connection labelled analogue outputs on it.
That's the line level output from the preamp.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Nut

Thank you ebulb. Really helpful. I get the cable tomorrow so will connect it up and play around with TotalMix. It sounds like it'll be fairly straight forward. As straight forward as these things get. I'll set up ISA as the slave unit. It's only being used for preamp purpose so no return to it required.

Thanks again. Really appreciate you taking the time to help out
G
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savagery View Post
That's the line level output from the preamp.
ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKG View Post

Thanks again. Really appreciate you taking the time to help out
G
no probs
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search