The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HELP! tascam 38 tape issues ATR / SM900 only option
Old 30th January 2014
Here for the gear

HELP! tascam 38 tape issues ATR / SM900 only option

Hi all,

I have just bought a 38 . I have waited and waited for the sm 911 tape to be in stock , a few months now (im in the uk) it isnt happening and poss wont ever so I need to use either ATR or RMGI sm 900 as there s some 900 still around... Im aware there both a bit "heavy" for my transport (from research) and can handle more level than I potentially can give the tape through my machine.

Does anyone have an idea whats the best way to go? Will it really damage machine ?
I should say that my machine will be set up to the new tape I go for by a small company near me in Brighton uk.

It has had mods done, I quote from the original ad when i bought the machine ... "As per Mr Jim Williams advice, I removed the step up transformers, bridging pins 1-3 and replaced the resistor, socketed U101 and replaced the op amp."

Im not sure what this mod does ?!!! will it mean I can use higher level tape but still get a "tape" sound ?

I am using the 38 so I can record my band and hopefully get some of that saturation sound. We play classic R n B, old soul, touch of jazz. So if im correct by using the tape mentioned I WONT get that??

Thanks in Advance
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

It won't damage the machine ... it might not sound it's best unless you re-calibrate, if it's calibrated for 456 / 911.

Both ATR and 900 are higher output, so you will not likely saturate the tape easily (you will probably saturate the electronics first). If the deck can be calibrated for +9 (or +10 or whatever ATR is) ... which I'm not certain it can ... then you could saturate it in theory.

But it's probably better to go with RMGI 911 or 468 ... another +6 option that sounds pretty good on 456 / 911 -calibrated machines.
Old 30th January 2014
Here for the gear

thanks for time to reply ....

Ill have to use ATR for supply reasons

. I wonder if there is a mod that can be done to make the bias amps (if thats what they are called !) allow the machine to saturate + 10 tape ??

I think ive realised that the mods that have been done are not going to do that ???

Anyone can confirm this please do
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcato View Post
thanks for time to reply ....

Ill have to use ATR for supply reasons

. I wonder if there is a mod that can be done to make the bias amps (if thats what they are called !) allow the machine to saturate + 10 tape ??

I think ive realised that the mods that have been done are not going to do that ???

Anyone can confirm this please do
I don't know ... but you're trying to turn the 38 into something that it's not ... it was designed for a lower output tape. Doing all kinds of mods just to use a particular tape type might make you want to consider another deck. Or just buy another tape online. There are plenty of places to buy RMGI tape, or other NOS tapes from the past that will work great on that machine as it is. Those decks don't saturate nicely anyway in my opinion, so I would run it as clean as possible.
Old 31st January 2014
Here for the gear

cool , thanks ill have a ponder on that and I think thats put my mind to rest re trying to make it something it isnt ....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search