The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good secondary pair of monitors?
Old 30th January 2014
Here for the gear

Good secondary pair of monitors?

I have an untreated room, my bedroom. Im working on making some hip hop and maybe some deep house down the line. I have a pair of the Yamaha HS80's and I love them. I'm pretty sure a subwoofer is a bad idea since I have an untreated room. I want to get a second pair of monitors to compliment the Yamaha's. I currently have KRK Rockit 5's but I want to use those for my DJ setup when I'm practicing. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

I recently got a pair of KRK RPG2 / Rokit 5 for my workshop and I'm thinking about adding a pair to my studio. I got used to them quickly. They can't be a main reference but they offer a valuable second opinion. So if you like the Rokit5's next to your Yammy's, you might just get another pair... if not, I'd recommend trying (always try in your room first or at least make sure you can send the products back) Tannoys, especially the dual concentric models. In a small untrated room they limit phase errors between HF/LF drivers. They do have a trademark sound so again, you need to make sure they'd be useful to you. Or play it safe and get a pair of Genelecs, they're definitely a good reference to have, even the smallest ones can be useful to make decisions on the midrange of a mix.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by djMickSwell View Post
I have an untreated room, my bedroom. Im working on making some hip hop and maybe some deep house down the line. I have a pair of the Yamaha HS80's and I love them. I'm pretty sure a subwoofer is a bad idea since I have an untreated room. I want to get a second pair of monitors to compliment the Yamaha's. I currently have KRK Rockit 5's but I want to use those for my DJ setup when I'm practicing. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!
Someone with HS80s may be able to give you better advice but...

...have you considered buying some very good headphones? Especially if your bedroom is small. They can really help with details you might miss otherwise. Subwoofers can often help more than you think but can also cause problems. Removing the low end from your speakers can help with clarity and bass issues IF (and it's a big if) you get subwoofer placement that works with your room and speakers. I like lots of low end but I have a heavily treated (if quite small) dedicated space so use of a subwoofer works for me.

Tony
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

The JBL LSR series (305 and 308) are highly affordable and get quite a bit of love around these parts. As do the Equator D5s, in roughly the same price range.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla View Post
As do the Equator D5s, in roughly the same price range.
This is what I would go for at this price level.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Guru

forget about more speakers until you treat your dang room, seriously!
Old 31st January 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks so much everyone. I actually never thought about a good pair of headphones. That might be the trick seeing how I am in my bedroom and can't really treat it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search