The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old Philips microphone
Old 29th January 2014
Here for the gear

Old Philips microphone

Greetings,

I have a chance to obtain very old (probably carbon) microphone that has "Philips KM 147 Q" on its back. I couldn't find ANY info about it on the internet, does anyone have a clue?

If I buy it, is there some chance it might be somehow working after all these years? And how do I connect old microphones like that to modern preamp?

http://vojtanedved.com/temp/philips.png
http://vojtanedved.com/temp/philips2.png
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

That's a cool looking piece!! I'd be inclined to think it's a crystal element rather than a carbon. Are those pics of the actual mic you're interested in, or pics found on the web? Reason I ask is because that serial "N1234" makes me think "prototype".

Anyways, for you to hook it up to a Pre you'd have to treat it as a Hi-Z dynamic. Create a twisted pair of 18awg leads terminating to a TS 1/4" male connector. Polarity shouldn't make much difference, but you can easily swap the leads at the mic terminals & listen for a better phase if you're curious. I wouldn't expect anything great out of this microphone if it works at all. Crystals (& carbons) are very pale instruments with very narrow frequency range. At best it could provide a unique character to your sources, but how that character could be used is up to you & your material.

Hope this helps & good luck with the quest!!
Old 30th January 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for your answer! If it doesn't work (which is more likely to happen), it doesn't really matter. If it does, I'll just capture its impulse response for experiments :]

These are actual photos of the microphone. I noticed SN of the mike, too. Makes me want it even more.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search