The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lyra or Hilo gains over a TC
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Lyra or Hilo gains over a TC

I currently have a TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 which I use to record guitars and bass. Because of where I record, I run my valve amps through a speaker simulator which gives a mic level output which I run into the TC’s pre-amp. When recording bass I plug that into the instrument input of the TC. At some point I’ll record acoustic guitar (plus banjo and fiddle) with a mic, and maybe some vocals. Again, because of my room, tracking and mixing is done using Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors and Sennheiser HD600 headphones.

The TC was a step up from the Boss BR900CD unit I started with, and which always seemed to have some sort of ‘distortion’. TC say their mic pres and AD converters and clock are top quality, and the Konnekt 6 received good reviews when it launched.

Perhaps that’s as good as it gets without spending an absolute fortune, but I’m looking at trying something else, and am currently thinking about arranging a demo of a Prism Lyra, and (if possible) a Lynx Hilo. These are around the same price, which is my maximum budget. The Lynx has no pre-amps, so I’d need to budget for one (possibly a DAV with pre-amp and DI, or a Focusrite ISA).

Lynx make a big thing of the Hilo’s headphone amp, and given that I rely on headphones, an accurate headphone amp is a required feature. Perhaps the Lyra’s is more mediocre.

Not having tried any interface other than the TC, I’m not sure how much (if any) improvement I might expect in the recorded instruments and the overall mix sound. Is it going to be subtle (and not noticeable unless played back on a decent system)?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search