The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mono fig 8 rotation for drums
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Nut

Mono fig 8 rotation for drums

Hi all. I'm going to begin tracking drums for my band's second release next week. I want to use a mono room mic and I think I'm going to try my AEA R84 in front of the kit a few feet back. I will try lots of different positions but I'm wondering; do most of you who use this technique rotate the mic 90 degrees so the null faces the kit or do you point the mic right at the drums? Obviously I'll get more room in the first scenario but I've seen lots of folks pointing the mic right at the kit.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 29th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Sylvester View Post
Hi all. I'm going to begin tracking drums for my band's second release next week. I want to use a mono room mic and I think I'm going to try my AEA R84 in front of the kit a few feet back. I will try lots of different positions but I'm wondering; do most of you who use this technique rotate the mic 90 degrees so the null faces the kit or do you point the mic right at the drums? Obviously I'll get more room in the first scenario but I've seen lots of folks pointing the mic right at the kit.

Thanks,
Keith
As usual, the answer is "it depends".

I like ribbons in front of a kit for getting a bit more "bloom" from the kick, so I'll often set it fairly low and pointed right at the kit. Gives a nice little bit of added low end and lower midrange.

If the room is really large, and I'm looking for a very ambient drum sound, then I may rotate the mic 90 degrees and put the kit in the null. This tends to have fewer phase conflicts, IME, so the placement can sometimes be a bit easier to figure out.

It really all comes down to the kit sound you're after, and the room itself.
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
As usual, the answer is "it depends".

I like ribbons in front of a kit for getting a bit more "bloom" from the kick, so I'll often set it fairly low and pointed right at the kit. Gives a nice little bit of added low end and lower midrange.

If the room is really large, and I'm looking for a very ambient drum sound, then I may rotate the mic 90 degrees and put the kit in the null. This tends to have fewer phase conflicts, IME, so the placement can sometimes be a bit easier to figure out.

It really all comes down to the kit sound you're after, and the room itself.
The room is smallish at about 15X18 with 12 foot ceilings. Not the best but not terrible.
Old 29th January 2014
Quote:
The room is smallish at about 15X18 with 12 foot ceilings. Not the best but not terrible.
I'd just recommend trying it both ways. A room that small might not offer much in terms of reflections, so the drums-in-the-null thing may not be ideal. But then again, it might be really great. Only takes ten seconds to rotate the mic to see how it sounds!
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

You could also just add a condensor in cardoid pattern pointed at the kit and use the figure 8 with the null pointed at the kit and set up a M-S setup. You can do a search here and easily find the correct way to set it up! Amazing imagery and the ability to blend the direct and ambient mic make it a winning setup.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear
One thing I'll suggest is if you're trying to capture more kick, while the drummer plays, sit in front of the kit with your hand up, and ask the drummer to hit quarter notes on the kick. Put your hand up (in a "stop!" position) and back your hand up until the kick can no longer be felt; at this point, you should put your ribbon. You'll get a good bloom and you won't risk damaging the ribbon. Some guys also opt for pointing it down at the floor 45 degrees to protect the diaphragm if using a condenser closer.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Guru

Great suggestions above. I'll add a cool mono technique I learned from [email protected] Put the mic at snare height, and put it 5 or so feel back pointed toward where the snare and bass drum rims meet. You get a nice solid representation of the drums with a nice halo of room "air" around it. I've done this and been able to use just that mic for certain things.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. Yes, I will try both ways and see what I get but I was just wondering what most of you guys end up doing in a similar situation; especially since the room is on the smallish side. Having 12' ceilings does help in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Great suggestions above. I'll add a cool mono technique I learned from [email protected] Put the mic at snare height, and put it 5 or so feel back pointed toward where the snare and bass drum rims meet. You get a nice solid representation of the drums with a nice halo of room "air" around it. I've done this and been able to use just that mic for certain things.
Drumsound: Yes, this is what I had originally planned to try but then I started thinking about pointing the null at the kit to make it more of a room mic. As I said, I'll try both and see what happens.

Thanks again,
Keith
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Guru

I'm not sure if my description was clear. The mic will not be straight in front of the drums as you look at them. If you're behind the drums the mic is at around 10 O'Clock. Just to be clear.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I'm not sure if my description was clear. The mic will not be straight in front of the drums as you look at them. If you're behind the drums the mic is at around 10 O'Clock. Just to be clear.
OK, I didn't quite get that but I see what you're saying now. The idea is to get the mic equidistant from kick and snare I take it?

I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
OK, I didn't quite get that but I see what you're saying now. The idea is to get the mic equidistant from kick and snare I take it?

I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks.
Basically. You get a nice picture of the whole set, with a nice emphasis on the BD/SD, which is the crux of the biscuit.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search