The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Putting recorded material through external Pre-amp? Saturation Plugins
Old 29th January 2014
Here for the gear

Putting recorded material through external Pre-amp?

I am about to purchase a Warm Audio WA12 t mainly record vocals and probably as a DI for bass. I read a LOT that people also put whole mixes through the WA12, or put pre-recorded drums or keyboards through them...to warm them up if they are cold. Big question. HOW DO YOU PHYSICALLY DO THIS once recorded? I know very little, but would like to have a go at this. Could anyone explain the process? Also, if you send a MIDI signal through the pre-amp, does it come back as audio or MIDI still. Dumb-ass, I know. BTW, I use LOGIC PRO 9 with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

TA!
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Man, warm audio sure did a ****ing hell of a job marketing those goddamn things. Warm them up if they're cold? Don't even know how to use one or why? Man...genius marketing.
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
Man, warm audio sure did a ****ing hell of a job marketing those goddamn things. Warm them up if they're cold? Don't even know how to use one or why? Man...genius marketing.
Of course he can "warm up" his tracks with the WA12. Come on, you know what he means.

At the moment you won't find any other company which releases that quality for that money.

But you can't send out MIDI-Files. I guess you're working with VSTI's?
Route the VSTI's to physical Outputs of your interface and then into the WA12. Then back to an Input of your Interface from the WA12.
Old 29th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean.
Old 29th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracki View Post
Of course he can "warm up" his tracks with the WA12. Come on, you know what he means.

At the moment you won't find any other company which releases that quality for that money.

But you can't send out MIDI-Files. I guess you're working with VSTI's?
Route the VSTI's to physical Outputs of your interface and then into the WA12. Then back to an Input of your Interface from the WA12.
Thank you.

when you say 'route the vsti's to the physical outputs, how do i do this?
Old 30th January 2014
The easy way would be to do an insert.

First you have to connect lets say...the output 3 of the interface to the input of the Warm12, then the output of the Warm12 to the input 3 of the interface. So you can send the audio (through channel 3 out) to the warm and back in (through channel 3 in).

Then in the audio track where you have the VST, you should be able to place an insert as you would place a Plug In.

I don't know how this works in Logic, but maybe you can read about it?

Do a quick google of: hardware insert in Logic.

Eddie
Old 30th January 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by entresolmusic View Post
The easy way would be to do an insert.

First you have to connect lets say...the output 3 of the interface to the input of the Warm12, then the output of the Warm12 to the input 3 of the interface. So you can send the audio (through channel 3 out) to the warm and back in (through channel 3 in).

Then in the audio track where you have the VST, you should be able to place an insert as you would place a Plug In.

I don't know how this works in Logic, but maybe you can read about it?

Do a quick google of: hardware insert in Logic.

Eddie
Thanks a lot Eddie!
I'm with it now.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

I'm not familiar with the Saffire, but make sure you're bypassing it's internal pres when you run the signal back in. Also not familiar with the WA12 in particular, but I imagine you'll want to set the xlr line input to +4.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

If you want to send line level through a mic pre-amp, make sure to use this:

Woven Pad LTM37 - Woven Audio

This was recommended to me when I wanted to route line level program through a mic pre. Works perfectly.
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Nut

Just as an alternate approach if you don't have great converters OR if you want to try many different levels of saturation, you can try the following plugins...

1 fab filter Saturn. Very versatile saturation plugin from subtle to crazy. It has a mix knob for parallel saturation.

2 sound toys decapitator

3. Slate VCC- very subtle and you can add drive to the signal for more saturation.

4. Devil loc deluxe. It's a saturating compressor. It has a mix knob for parallel processing. It can be subtle to brutal.

I have a home studio and I find it easier to use hardware pres, comps and eqs on the way in. Once I'm in the box or if using vsti's... I usually use one if the above methods to add harmonic content.

I think this approach will serve you well and does not slow down your work flow.
Old 2nd February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots Rock View Post
Just as an alternate approach if you don't have great converters OR if you want to try many different levels of saturation, you can try the following plugins...

1 fab filter Saturn. Very versatile saturation plugin from subtle to crazy. It has a mix knob for parallel saturation.

2 sound toys decapitator

3. Slate VCC- very subtle and you can add drive to the signal for more saturation.

4. Devil loc deluxe. It's a saturating compressor. It has a mix knob for parallel processing. It can be subtle to brutal.

I have a home studio and I find it easier to use hardware pres, comps and eqs on the way in. Once I'm in the box or if using vsti's... I usually use one if the above methods to add harmonic content.

I think this approach will serve you well and does not slow down your work flow.
Thanks for this.
I have the Decapitator (and the bundle for SoundToys - all great..particularly Echoboy), and its great for dirt, but not for clean warmth, I don't think.

Im sorry but I don't understand 'if you don't have great converters'...is this to do with my interface? I'm assuming it's the analogue to digital conversion? How do I know if mine is good? Its the Saffire Pro 40.
Old 2nd February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmbeatz View Post
If you want to send line level through a mic pre-amp, make sure to use this:

Woven Pad LTM37 - Woven Audio

This was recommended to me when I wanted to route line level program through a mic pre. Works perfectly.
Thanks

I'm not sure what this means, sorry. My WA12 arrives tomorrow and I just bought an SM7B...Having never used hardware before, I think I set it up by plugging the Shure into the back of the WA12 (XLR), then route the WA12 to one of my Saffire Pro inputs (XLR from WA12 to TRS into the Saffire)...then I set the level on the Saffire to 4. Will this not be enough? Or should it be TRS to TRS for pre-amp to interface. I never know which type of 'end' to use.

Neil
Old 2nd February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Brainchild
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended

Oh I see now....
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncurtis View Post
Thanks for this.
I have the Decapitator (and the bundle for SoundToys - all great..particularly Echoboy), and its great for dirt, but not for clean warmth, I don't think.

Im sorry but I don't understand 'if you don't have great converters'...is this to do with my interface? I'm assuming it's the analogue to digital conversion? How do I know if mine is good? Its the Saffire Pro 40.
Decapitator is more for dirt. You can get very subtle harmonic content wig Fabfilter Saturn and Slate VCC.

It seems your intent on trying it out so just read up on your manual and make sure you software compensates for the delay caused by going out of the the box and then back in. Im not intimately familiar with your converter.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search