The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Presonus Studio Channel or just use plug-ins?!
Old 29th January 2014
Here for the gear

Presonus Studio Channel or just use plug-ins?!

have a chance to buy a good condition presonus studio channel with upgraded groove tubes. seller wants 180 for the channel strip..

currently im running the waves collection (ssl, vcomp, etc) for vocals and its sounding great. i've been doing all my processing in the box, and dont have any outboard gear. my interface is an m-audio 2626 profire. im wondering if i will get better results. im using a c12 type tube microphone.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

In my opinion, no you will not. First of all, the groove tubes 12ax7 is actually a rebranded Chinese tube (or possibly Sovtek or EH depending on the designation)...hardly a tube upgrade. Secondly, based upon the mains input, you are looking at a starved plate design meaning you are actually losing out on much of what attracts people to tubes.
I have found that good plugs will serve you quite well until you can get some nice hardware, and even then, they will help augment/supplement good hardware.
Just one man's thoughts...
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

A channel strip can open up a whole new world to you.

In this world of limitless "undo" potential there is something very satisfying about making commitments. I find it to be a wonderful way to work.....one that allows me to use less plug-in processing in the mix.

I love it when I get a track tuned in just right with my strip and very little (or even zero) additional EQ or compression is required at mix time.

For that price it might be fun to have this piece around to give you another perspective on things.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search