The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mic pre to compliment API and Neve?
Old 29th January 2014
Here for the gear

mic pre to compliment API and Neve?

I have two old Brent Averill pres, an API and a Neve 1272. No eq, just talent knobs…you know, if the talent is good, you turn 'em up, if the talent is bad, turn 'em down…
I am curious as to what's out there in terms of a mic pre that lives somewhere in between these two great pres. No complaints, I'm just looking to broaden my palette. There are so many press out there and so many of them are inclined to sound like one or the other of these two classics. I record mostly guitars with an occasional cello/violin/brass/woodwind experience. My little mic locker comprises some 57s, an SM7, a 4050, a C1, a 121, a KM184, a CV7 and a CV5.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,

Jerry
proguitartracks.com
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

How about some tube fun?

This pre is not in between but is a unique tube pre. The Tab Funkenwerk V78M.

I have a Mercury M72s too. Both are inspired by the original Telefunken/Siemens V72s but with the Tab you can over or under load the input and create some custom mojo.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

Definitely tube....
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear
Hairball Audio Lola..
Old 30th January 2014
Here for the gear

Proving once again that it's good to seek out the advice of those smarter than yourself! Even having been in and out of dozens of Nashville studios for quite a few years, I can't recall either the Tab or the Lola ever coming up in use (afaik) or conversation. The bad news? This is a tough call! The Lola would seem to be most different but I have no lunchbox. I can get one through GCPro I suppose...
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Head

If you decide to go 500 you might wanna consider the SH Mono/Gamma... It looks like an addition to what you already have and it's a versatile pre for a good range of applications
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

solo 610
Old 30th January 2014
Something to compliment your API and Neve would have to be transparent, so I would recommend something along the lines of the 500 series Focusrite Red 1.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear
I owned Vintech X73i, CAPI vp25/28, Focusrite Red 1 Quad, Avalon 737, UA 610, and Lola is my top pick..for Vocals and Acoustic Guitars personally.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear
I am unaware of any mic preamp that actually speaks or writes, so it will be difficult to find one to give your other preamps compliments

if you, on the other hand, want one to complement your existing preamps, my strong suggestion is buy more of the one, amongst those you already have, that you like the best.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

Pacifica
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
I owned Vintech X73i, CAPI vp25/28, Focusrite Red 1 Quad, Avalon 737, UA 610, and Lola is my top pick..for Vocals and Acoustic Guitars personally.
Interesting. I have the Lola and VP28. Why do you like the Lola better than the CAPI?
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgtr View Post
Even having been in and out of dozens of Nashville studios for quite a few years, I can't recall either the Tab or the Lola ever coming up in use (afaik) or conversation
Stop by WireWorld or Mellow Hollow and check out the TAB if you get a chance!
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear

I'd go with a UA 2-610 or one of the variations with a T4b or 1176 section, or a Tubetech, or a super clean preamp. Also a Germanium based pre could be cool.
Old 30th January 2014
Gear Maniac

I'd go either tube or cleaner solid state. Lots of tube options out there and what I mean by solid state would be in the John Hardy style.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search