The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai 4000DB Reel-to-Reel Tape Machine
Old 28th January 2014
Here for the gear

Akai 4000DB Reel-to-Reel Tape Machine

Does anyone have any experience with this particular model? Or Akai's in general? We've been using tape machines a bit in my school for adding some warmth to our final mixes and things like that but we're using $10,000+ machines and that is not even an option for me to even consider purchasing. I'd like to add a tape machine to my home setup and just experiment with one but don't want to buy a complete piece of crap to start with and get discouraged. I found a unit that says its been fully serviced and calibrated with local pickup for $325 so any comments and opinions are welcome before i throw down that kind of money (which is a lot for a broke college student like me). Thanks.
Old 28th January 2014
I would strongly advise against it. I have one of those old machines in storage. Specs not good even when new. 7 1/2 ips is the highest speed. They were made rather cheaply and now after 40 years, even one that has been "serviced" would not sound very good and you would have either boat loads of hiss or dulled muted highs with the dolby. The transport on these things is mickey mouse and rewind and fast forward is like waiting for paint to dry. I've never had a reel to reel that rewound and fast forwarded so slowly. The electronics are cheap and dodgy. Even when mine was new, switches and pots started going bad after a couple years of light use. I'd pass on this. IMHO, $50 would be too much.

Hey, just realized this was my thousandth post! WooPee!
Old 28th January 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice. Would you have any recommendations on a small machine with a decent sound quality without breaking the bank? I've really become obsessed with this tape sound and i know i wont be able to achieve anything nearly as good as the Mara's or Ampex's or anything else we have at school but i still think getting a smaller hopefully decent one would be fun to experiment with. Thanks again for saving me from spending $300 on that akai.
Old 28th January 2014
Tascam 22-2 is an OK compact 2 track that runs at 15 ips. They come up on evil bay pretty regularly. You have to be very cautious however, as 9 out of ten of them is junk. With any tape deck you buy, make sure everything works as intended and all switches, pots, meters, and lamps are in good shape, as well as the heads. It's best to buy from someone who really knows how to service the particular reel to reel you're interested in getting and has it in tip top shape.
Old 29th January 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks i appreciate it ill look into it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search