The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking to Upgrade my Front-End
Old 27th January 2014
Looking to Upgrade my Front-End

I'm looking to upgrade my front-end. Currently I'm running through a Soundcraft Folio Rac-Pac mixer, into a MOTU 8pre.

1. Should i put my money in a better front-end mixer for pre's and EQ's (mixing is itb)? I would be looking for either 24 or 32 channels for full band recording

2. Or invest completely in outboard pres and EQs like the 500 series stuff and/or other rack-mounted pres and EQs and skip a front-end mixer.

Budget is about $10k. Audio interface will be upgraded as well and is separate from this budget.
Old 28th January 2014
Old 28th January 2014
Gear Nut

Hi,
Financially I'd suggest another console option. the costs of separate pres and eqs could grow beyond your budget. Of course with plenty of planning and research you could pull it off. Why exactly are you moving away from your current setup? are you not satisfied with the pres? EQs? If you go the outboard route, look into 8 channel rackmountable pres (RME Octomic, Focusrite 828, Phoenix Audio DRS-8, Audient ASP008, etc...) and if you decide to go another console route, there really isn't much middle room under 10,000 for a fantastic console that i could think of.
Old 28th January 2014
Gear Guru

I have ex-girlfriend who upgraded her front end.
Cost about $6,000.00
Old 28th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by conflict151 View Post
Hi,
Financially I'd suggest another console option. the costs of separate pres and eqs could grow beyond your budget. Of course with plenty of planning and research you could pull it off. Why exactly are you moving away from your current setup? are you not satisfied with the pres? EQs? If you go the outboard route, look into 8 channel rackmountable pres (RME Octomic, Focusrite 828, Phoenix Audio DRS-8, Audient ASP008, etc...) and if you decide to go another console route, there really isn't much middle room under 10,000 for a fantastic console that i could think of.
I've outgrown the 10 channels I have on the mixer now so I'm looking to upgrade to 24 channels...possibly 32. I'm getting a lot more requests recently to track full bands to help cut down on studio tracking time, which I understand.
Old 28th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I have ex-girlfriend who upgraded her front end.
Cost about $6,000.00
Was this before or after she was an ex? I'm hoping you weren't out the $6k
Old 28th January 2014
Gear Guru

Fortunately that was post relationship.
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear

API/JDK 8mx2

really sweet with SSL Alpha links.
Old 29th January 2014
Gear Nut

24 channels of outboard preamps would be close to your 10,000 budget, leaving not much room for an interface that sounds good and could handle your workload. I'd say look into an antelope orion for an interface (32 channels for about $3000) and get yourself maybe 2 8-channel preamps (i'd suggest Phoenix Audio DRS-8) and combine that with your current setup.
Old 29th January 2014
Lives for gear

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go for a console that is well under the 10k mark (maybe a Toft, ZED R16, Midas, maybe something a little more pricey), and then spend some cash on nice outboard pres. This would accomplish several things:
1. You would have all the basic preamps you would need immediately
2. You would have all of the EQ's you would need immediately
3. You would be able to sum OTB immediately
4. You would also have some nice preamps for critical tracks immediately
5. You would be able to add more preamps as you get cash and have an easy way to integrate them immediately

That, at least, is what I would do.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search