The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
list all analog stereo limiters
Old 17th October 2006
list all analog stereo limiters

ok really.......I don't care to debate analog vs digital or plugins vs outboard or rock vs disco..... I just want to find the right stereo analog limiter for my needs. so, list 'em here!! I know they were used back in the day to make some of my favorite albums and now that plugins are everywhere it seems like nobody wants to admit they used to exist. I know I am not alone here!!!!!!!
Old 17th October 2006
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
I just want to find the right stereo analog limiter for my needs. so, list 'em here!!
How is a list of stereo analog limiters going to help you decide which of those tools will be the best tool for your application?

Maybe I'm obtuse but I don't see the correlation.
Old 17th October 2006
I guess because I don't know whats out there. One of the things I like to do is go on the website for studios whose albums I love and check their gear lists. Often there will be lots of gear and I'm not exactly sure what's getting used for what application. So, I guess seeing what pieces out there get used for this application might help me identify what some of my favorite studios are using. maybe??
Old 17th October 2006
member no 666

It ain't the gear it is how the gear is used... which means you first have to develop an ear, and a sense of aesthetic as it relates to the music you record. As first you get all gushy because the stuff you're recording has some high end and something of a professional sheen... but then you realize that it doesn't have the depth you want so you [this is the "general" you, not "you" specifically... we've never met and I'm generalizing] get into the "thick" stuff to add some depth... which eventually turns into a ball of mud so you swing back the other way... blah, blah, blah.

With all due respect, I've watched a few hundred guys go down this road some well, some not so well. From my experience both as an engineer as well as someone who has schooled a few people on the craft [as well as someone who has helped people find hardware solutions for their audio for about 20 years]... start small.

Figure out what your audio needs to fit your sense of aesthetic and add it. Don't add it because some shmuck was raving about it on Gearslutz.com... there are a whole bunch of shill posters here who have something to sell [and there are a whole bunch of other posters who have itty bitty little penis's and feel the need to rationalize their last purchase so they come here to shout about how great it is... but I digress]. Listen to your music. Learn to hear how to honor the requests the music makes of you as an engineer... apply tools appropriate to those requests.

There are gear lists on a 1000 websites from studios to stores to "reviews" to whatever ya got... the only review that matters is yours and the only way to build that review is by trying the gear in application at your studio at your leisure and in a variety of applications. One man's "thick" is another man's "muddy"... one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

I can go get me a cool white Stratocaster just like Jimi's... there ain't no way in hell I'll ever be able to play like that but dammit... we'd have the exact same tools!! It works the same way with audio gear. If I plopped you down in my studio your work would sound totally different than my work. You work will reflect your sense of aesthetic, my work reflects my sense of aesthetic... same tools but we'd find decidedly different results.

One small "given"... there isn't a hardware dynamics processing unit that won't eat a plug in for breakfast; **** it out before lunch and have zero remorse in the process. The down side is that hardware is more expensive than software... the good news is that you don't have to buy new hardware everytime you buy new software [which is what, every couple / tree years the way they have it set up these days?].

Best of luck with your search... a list isn't what you need... time with the units is what you need.

Peace.
Old 18th October 2006
pixies surfer rosa

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search