The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which speaker for guitar cab?
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Addict

Which speaker for guitar cab?

So I just bought an empty 2x12 open back cab and I have an old Celstion Greenback to put in it. For the other speaker I want to use a 10". I don't have a lot of experience with 10" speakers so any suggestions? The plan is to use this live, mic both speakers and pan L&R. I am also going to use it to record with. I have an older Rivera Knucklehead and 4x12 cab with Vintage 30's, it's very versitile. I have recorded anyhting from Hard Rock to Pop to Country with it and it always sounds great. With a Les Paul you can get kind of a glassy Strat through a Twin kind of tone. So I thinking of going with a Jenson like the old Bassman's had or and Eminence but I'm not sure.
If anybody has any opinions due tell.
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Addict

I know some has some suggestions out there
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Maniac

I'm not positive, but I'm guessing that you could induce some phase weirdness using two different diameter speakers, man. Just stick with 12"s for this and if you really have the hankering later in life do the 2x10 thing.

Celestions and Eminences are nice, by the way.
Old 18th October 2006
Gear Addict

I agree that a 10" and 12" speaker might not be the best idea. I'd go Celestion all the way, though. I'm VERY happy with my vintage 30, which would probably go well with the Greenback, but if you already have a cab of them, you might want to switch it up, which would be understandable.

The Blue speakers are very cool, with a real clear and glassy sound, although very expensive.

My onlyexperience with Eminence was the one in my amp that I replaced with the Vintage 30 and I'm MUCH happier now and get many compliments on the sound.
Old 18th October 2006
Here for the gear

As far as 12" speakers go there is Celestion or, EV but, that is my personal preference.
I use a Pacific 1 12" front ported box with a EVM 12L that has better low end response and has a sound that is comparable to a 4 12" Celestion cabinet.

It does matter what kind of speaker box you have for the tone.
Whether it is a open back or, a closed back enclosure.

I have vintage Marshalls with original 25w Celestions and circa 80's bottom cabinets with 80w Celestions that were very hard to track down in the 1980's.
These speakers were the favorites of Eric Johnson and Ronnie Montrose from what I heard.

Also, your preference in speakers are going to be determined by the amp head you are running and the tone you are looking for.
Some people like to have the speakers break up and distort and older Marshall heads benefit from the added speaker distortion when cranked to 11 and others like to have more headroom with a cleaner speaker with more low end response.

If you are wondering why I use a 1 12" cabinet I am a working musician and I got tired of moving too much gear to the gigs and over the years my guitar rig kept getting smaller and smaller but, I still need a tube power amp.
All my combo amps and the big Marshall amps stay in the studio.

Last edited by MadScience; 18th October 2006 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: By the way...
Old 18th October 2006
Gear Addict

I already have a 4x12 Rivera closed back cab with Vintage 30's and a Sovtek 2x12 closed back cab with some random speakers that are not great. A friend of mine gave me a Greenback that he has had sitting in a box in his closet for 15 years, he thinks it's from the late 70's. Originally I was going to buy a 2nd greenback and put them in the Sovtek cab. But now I found this Rivera cab, actually it was a combo that was gutted, so I am turning it into an extension cab. I have seen cabs that had 1-10" and 1-12" speaker and that idea always appealed to me. I think Mesa use to make them but I don't like their cabs. I have played a few 4x10 cabs and really dig the sound so I don't know. Here are some pics of the cab I bought.

Old 18th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiummusic View Post
I know some has some suggestions out there
TONE TUBBY SPEAKERS! They smell good too...
Old 18th October 2006
Lives for gear

actually, using two differant size speakers can augment guitar tone greatly. Kind of the best sounds of a 12" combined with the best of a 10". Your problem is going to be in trying to mount a 10" speaker in a hole that's cut for a 12". Unless you have a new speaker baffle made, you're going to have trouble with that.

All that said, I highly suggest Weber speakers. I just bought a 10F150T for my homebrew 12W reverb/vibrato amplifier.
Old 18th October 2006
Lives for gear

I second tone tubby ...and go to to
http://www.tedweber.com/
and read a little about speakers..he has some fine ones. I recently built me a 1x12" with a 10", angled away from each other - so I'm fine with two differnt speakers.
Useful...and we already have two 2x12", a 4x12", a1x12", a 2x15" cabs for guitars. Funny that always one fits the job when the others don't.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search