The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dynaudio BM6 vs. Mackie HR824
Old 5th December 2003
Lives for gear

Nothing?
Old 5th December 2003
Gear Nut

Saucy Do your self a favour pick up a set of Dynaudio bm6 speakers, it sounds as though you really have not spent any time investigating the sound of the bm6s I personally find that the Genelecs make mix's sound better than they are.Then you take the mix in the real world and oops !!The dyns are very very very true.No strange anomalies
Old 5th December 2003
Lives for gear

I'm definitely leaning towards the Dyns....my Mackies drive me crazy at times,unfortunately I have no good way to audition them.

Anybody used the Passive BM6s?
Old 6th December 2003
Lives for gear

I'd like to hear more about those Link speakers! They seem really sweet- I also know that Requisite is going to be putting something out in the next few years that should flat out rock, which is good for me as I may actually be putting a real studio together by then :-)
Old 7th December 2003
Lives for gear

I've just turned my Link K50's up a bit - can you hear it ?

Old 10th December 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Saucy......Drew at Pro Audio Design is using the BM6 passives with a good amp...(Bryston 4b, QSC??) and LOVES them far more than the active version!
Old 10th December 2003
Lives for gear

If he's using a 4Bsst than that could very well be.
I'm thinking most speaker manufacturers should design, well err, just speakers.

Just look at the PMC - Bryston union. PMC didn't start making active speakers and Bryston didn't start making monitors.

Then again - it's much more expensive this way.
Oh, maybe that prooves something too ?
Old 10th December 2003
Lives for gear

Thanks.....I've read a few similar stories using the passive Dynaudio but just trying to get some more data before ditching the Mackies.

I just got some real bass trapping in the room and adjusted my mix position a bit and some of my room problems/nodes seemed to have smoothed out...so I may press on with the Mackies for the time being.

I think the thing that is starting to bug me on the Mackies is not so much the semi-hyped low end but the fact that I still seem to wrestle with Mids at times(Gtrs,snare,Ohs)...I hear stories about the Adam and Dynaudio having a really user-friendly midrange that makes mix adjustments much easier to dial in.
Old 10th December 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Saucyjack

Anybody used the Passive BM6s?
been using them for a few years now. love em. i have a hafler amp to drive them and it works great. i pefer them over mackies for sure.

i also have some ns10s and cheap **** little sonys as seconds and thirds to check on.
Old 10th December 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Pounce,
Which Hafler you using?
Old 11th December 2003
Lives for gear

I used Dynaudio BM15A for a while and I have some experience with the new dynaudio AIR system, the pricey one. What they all have in common is the upper midrange, everything sounds a little "excited" to my ears - I personally like the mids of the mackies better. On the Dynaudio mids sound like a good recording (or bad recording...) whereas on the Mackies the mids sound real, like the performer is standing right in front of me. Dunno about the BM6 though, never heard them. I found that the Mackies are VERY placement sensitive. Had them standing on my production table for a while...totally messed with the upper bass/lower midrange frequencies, overemphasized and not clear. Placed them on foam - did help a little but not much. Put them on speaker stands besides the table - right there - great sound, clear lower midrange and bass! I do not think the mackies have a loud bass end, they just reach lower than almost any other nearfiled speaker, I had to get used to it but now I do not wanna live without it!
Rock on,
Pat
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Nut

Hi Brian,

Forgive me, it's late and I have not read all the repsonses to your post. I thought I'd chime in and say a few things.

First of all let me say that I'm selling a pair of Dynaudio BM15A's, so if you're interested please let me know. I've seen you post for a while and feel confident you're a good guy. I've done a lot business with a number of reputable dealers who could vouch for my being an honorable person. If you're not interested, that's cool too.

I use to mix with mackies. I had them for about a year. I then switched to Dynaudio BM15A's based on a suggestion from a very talented gentleman, Greg Lukins at Washington Professional Systems. The main thing I can tell you about the Dyn's (that I've experienced) is that what I hear, especially in the mid range, translates very accurately to other systems. This is what I find to be their most valuable asset. I'm a guitarist. Every time I'd record acoustic or electric guitar I'd always find my mackie mixes to not sound right on other systems. It was always a guessing game. On the Dyn's I just try to make it sound cool on them and it sounds cool on other stereos.

Another interesting thing, I ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND SOUND ANCHOR STANDS!!! For a long time the dyn's were sitting on my console. I recently pulled my console back 2 feet and placed the dyn's on the stands and I feel like I'm finally hearing the full speaker. The speakers are still at about the same height and distance from the walls so I'm very confident the difference in the sound can be attributed to the stands. I bought the studio adjustable stands with the rigid braces. My only complaint about the Dyn's for a while was lack of bass. But with the stands it's all there now. I'm telling you the difference was not at all subtle.

By the way, the BM15A's are still my main monitors. I bought a spare set a year ago as a back up pair which I'm now using as my mains. I'm selling my original ones which are a few years old. I just want the extra money now to try out and possibly buy either some ADAM S3A's or Earthworks Sigms 6.2's to supplement my monitoring setup along side of the Dyn's.

Goodluck,
John
Old 11th December 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by jmusic3
I use to mix with mackies. I had them for about a year. I then switched to Dynaudio BM15A's based on a suggestion from a very talented gentleman, Greg Lukins at Washington Professional Systems. The main thing I can tell you about the Dyn's (that I've experienced) is that what I hear, especially in the mid range, translates very accurately to other systems. This is what I find to be their most valuable asset. I'm a guitarist. Every time I'd record acoustic or electric guitar I'd always find my mackie mixes to not sound right on other systems. It was always a guessing game. On the Dyn's I just try to make it sound cool on them and it sounds cool on other stereos.
What did you find the biggest problem with the 824's was? Were you're mixes not as bright in the "real world," bass shy etc. Did those area's improve when you switched to the BM15's?

Right now I'm thinking about passive BM15's or BM6's and I'm leaning towards the BM15 based on past experience's with them. If anyone has comments on how they compare and translate that would be great. I do have a listening appointment on Friday to hear them as well as Adam P11's and whatever else but there's nothing like real world feedback.

FWIW, I use Tannoy PBM6.5's with a P3000 for my main nearfields and find that my mixes are always a little dull unless I add more 5-8khz then I'd like to hear. When it's brighter on the Tannoy's then I like it means it's usually "right". I was using the Smackie 824 for low end check and I had the -2dB high shelf on. Now that I'm monitor shopping I'd rather just get one pair of monitors that I can use all the time and really trust rather then using 3-5 different sets to figure it all out.

Sometimes I wonder how much it all matters when half of my clients bring in their $49 boom box and give me feedback off that before we're done printing the mix.

Brad, did you get the ATC's out yet? I haven't seen them...PM or email me if you get a chance.
Old 11th December 2003
Lives for gear

...and by the way, the BM15A produce distortion on low bass frequencies when played at medium-loud and louder levels. I double checked that with the shop that sold them, they said it´s the noise from the portholes and unaviodable. I do not have any distortion on the Mackies I mix on...
Check your BM15A by playing low frequency sine waves or 808 kicks through them and gradually increase the volume - you will find out yourself that from a certain level onwards the bass sound changes dramatically, no good.
Rock on,
Pat
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Nut

Pat,

Interesting comment about the distortion. I haven't noticed a problem there. Then again, I tend not to crank them that loud. I would think the results of something like that would be influenced by the position of the speakers.

Jay,

It 's a little hard to describe what I meant, but let me try. Let me preface this by saying these are my expereinces with this stuff. I'm sure there are many out there that have learned to mix well with the Mackies. I did specifically have some problems with parts of my Mackie mixes being to bright. A hi-hat being to bright or loud for example. However, the main area that was hardest for me to judge, again was the midrange. Let's say I had some distorted guitar tracks or a snare track that I wanted to EQ. Well I'd EQ as best I could to help the tracks fit better together in the mix and to have the character I wanted. In the case of the guitar for example, I'd try to adjust the EQ to get the specific tone and flavor I wanted. Then, I'd go out to the car and play it. What the hell? The guitar sounds different - messed up. The character of the guitar sound is not the same as what I was hearing through the Mackies. Because of this problem, mixing was a lot of guess work - going back and forth from the car, etc. to help get the mix right.

I don't have this problem with the dyn's. Once I get my track or mix to sound good on the dyn's, it sounds the same in my car or on other stereos - low end and high end. This is a tremendous asset and time saver for me. I've heard people say that the BM15A's are designed to sound more like a normal stereo (while being very revealing and detailed) than totally ruler flat. Maybe that's what makes them easier to mix on. Another thing too, music sounds great on them. They're just fun to listen to. You'd definitely hear details on them that you wouldn't with the mackies.

In case you haven't checked out some of these reviews, here's a few:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may9...57b422021c6f0b

http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_dynaud..._bma/index.htm

Goodluck with you search,
John
Old 11th December 2003
Lives for gear

I am actually thinking about getting a cheap pair of Dynaudios to switch back and forth with my Mackies....has anyone compared the BM5 against the BM6? I do not need the extra bass frequencies the bigger Dynaudios can reproduce, got that covered by the Mackies, but the more HiFi upper-Mids of the Dynaudios could give me a better "home-listener" perspective. Man, the passive Dynaudios are really cheap, especially the BM5p and the BM15p - incredible! So, any experiences with the BM5p anyone?

Rock on,
Pat
Old 11th December 2003
Here for the gear

I havn't tried the BM5's myself, but I have understood that there is no difference in the woofer, only the tweeter differs. And you may not know it yet but you NEED the tweeter in the BM6!
Old 11th December 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jmusic3
Pat,
It 's a little hard to describe what I meant, but let me try. Let me preface this by saying these are my expereinces with this stuff. I'm sure there are many out there that have learned to mix well with the Mackies. I did specifically have some problems with parts of my Mackie mixes being to bright. A hi-hat being to bright or loud for example. However, the main area that was hardest for me to judge, again was the midrange. Let's say I had some distorted guitar tracks or a snare track that I wanted to EQ. Well I'd EQ as best I could to help the tracks fit better together in the mix and to have the character I wanted. In the case of the guitar for example, I'd try to adjust the EQ to get the specific tone and flavor I wanted. Then, I'd go out to the car and play it. What the hell? The guitar sounds different - messed up. The character of the guitar sound is not the same as what I was hearing through the Mackies. Because of this problem, mixing was a lot of guess work - going back and forth from the car, etc. to help get the mix right.
John
i've got the same problems with my mackies. actually, the range in question for me is the upper mids, like tight snares..

can not tell you how many cd's i've gone thru to tell if the mix works on other systems or not..

have you compared the bm15a's to the bm6a's?

i dont think i've got the space or the $$ to put the 15's in my place, and am wondering if the 6's are just a smaller version of the 15's..
Old 11th December 2003
Gear Nut

Umlaaat,

I'm afraid I haven't heard the BM6's, so I don't know how they compare to the 15's. If space is a concern and the 6's sound good enough then that may be your best bet. I've certainly read good feedback about the BM6's. I don't recall if I've read a about a comparison between the 6's and the 15's. If money is the main concern and you don't mind buying used, consider that I have a pair of BM15A's for sale. For what I'd like to get for them, there might not be much of a price difference between them and a new pair of BM6's.

-John
Old 11th December 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Umlaaat
i've got the same problems with my mackies. actually, the range in question for me is the upper mids, like tight snares..

can not tell you how many cd's i've gone thru to tell if the mix works on other systems or not..

have you compared the bm15a's to the bm6a's?

i dont think i've got the space or the $$ to put the 15's in my place, and am wondering if the 6's are just a smaller version of the 15's..
Why not a get a speaker with an excellent midrange driver?

The BM6a and BM15a's are two very different designs. That accounts why they sound so different.

Either one would not be my personal choice for a main mix speaker(even though I have a pair of BM15's which are mostly for playback).

I think from their small monitor line my choice would be the Contour 1.3SE(you supply the amp). It sounds fuller than the Bm6a and not as "fun sounding" as the BM15a.
Old 12th December 2003
Gear Nut

bump
Old 12th December 2003
CV7
Gear Maniac

What is a good price for the 6A's? who's a good dealer to buy from? Fletcher doesn't carry them, maybe doesn't like them?
Old 12th December 2003
Gear Nut

Try http://studiotechsupply.com/

That's where I got my last pair of Dyn's. Great prices and customer service.

-John
Old 12th December 2003
Old 12th December 2003
Lives for gear

the specs on the Dynaudio BM6As are somewhat different than those for the (passive) BM6s --different crossover freqs, lower bass extension.

Anyone got an opinion on one vs. the other?
Old 16th December 2003
Lives for gear

Now I'm curious....I'd like to De-Mackiefy my room. Impressions of BM6 vs. BM6a? What Hafler power amp would match best with the passives? I too spend too much time guessing and balancing with the HR824s.
Old 16th December 2003
Gear Nut

The dyns are not efficient speakers at all so you should get as much juice as you can, not less than the hafler P3000 or P4000.
📝 Reply