The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elektra Recording Studio
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Elektra Recording Studio

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to find information on Elektra's recording studio in Los Angeles.

Does anybody know anything about this studio during the 60's, like what they used for a console etc?

Thanks!
Old 17th October 2006

I visited as a guest of JBL in the early seventies and had some pictures taken for a catalog (hi-fi and the very beginning of personal recording gear). The console that i remember sitting at was a DeMedio/ API. The session was for Aztec Two Step and I wish I could remember the engineer, a very nice man, who had been a late member of the Lovin' Spoonful and I believe The Modern Folk Quartet.
The pictures were published in the Warehouse Sound Company Pro Products catalog approx. 1974. I've still got a copy of the catalog but no way to post the picture.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

That's cool Rick, thanks. I think I heard somewhere that they used API, you're source having seen it send it home.

I imagine they used the same mics everybody else did in that era.
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Maniac

There were several engraved microphones from Elektra at Cello that are probably still at East/West now. I know there were MKHs and there might have been some km84s, U87s and SM57s.

Steven
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Was solid state around when The Doors recorded their work? That's a little early for API too no?
Old 17th October 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarusan View Post
There were several engraved microphones from Elektra at Cello that are probably still at East/West now. I know there were MKHs and there might have been some km84s, U87s and SM57s.

Steven
Yeah, the day that I was there they were using MKH's on acoustic guitar overdubs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search