The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AEA R92 compared to R121
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Head
AEA R92 compared to R121

l'm looking for information about the AEA R92. Based on the hype, it seems like a really great deal.
I want to balance out my limited mic collection. My Soundelux U195 is great, but sometimes I'm wanting to get a recording with more transparent highs. For example, a female vocalist with a kind of "whispy" sound, very bad sibilence issues. Great singer, I think the U195 is just wrong for her voice.
Overall, I sometimes want a warmer, softer, more natural sounding mic.
I record in a fairly small, acoustically-dead booth, sometimes adding plywood here or there.
I'm interested in the mic being fairly diverse and "workhorse-like", much like my U195 has been. Something that can work well in a sound booth and not make me work too hard to get the right sound. Mainly for VOX, Ac. GTR, and Perc.

And... how would the R121 be a better choice to fill this gap?

I really need to A/B these mics, but it's hard to do where I live.

btw, I'll probably be using a Great River NV-1 pre.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

cant speak of the 92, but I have a pair of 84's and the kill on overheads, vox, amps, piano, brass, strings, everything
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Head
price and value

Another way I've been looking at this descision is "bang for the buck".
Unfortunately most of us have to consider cost and how much more we're getting for a certain amount extra$$$.
The Royer 121 is around $1375 (including shock mount) and the R92 goes for a little over $800.
Is the 121 worth almost twice the amount of the R92? What makes it worth so much more?
I could almost buy 2 R92's for the price of one 121. (Not that I would.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search