The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choose my Console. QUICK HELP
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Nut

Choose my Console. QUICK HELP

32 Channel Soundcraft DC2020 or 32 Channel D&R Orion (one broken fader). There both 7500 bucks. I dont want to make the wrong desicion. What better in terms of SOUND, FEATURES, and RESAIL VALUE! Thanks guys
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Guru

OrionX or Orion standard? Patchbays? Automation? Wiring harnesses? Stereo Modules? The X model is a 16 bus console, the standard Orion is an 8 bus. the X has faders instead of pots in the monitor section. Both have the awesome floating subgroups, so you will have 32 outs, although only 8 or 16 at a time (resprectively).

In terms of sound, I'd say the D&R, but again, that's just my opinion - I own one, I HAVE to say that. lol Actually, I'd tell you the same if I didn't own one. I think the 2020 may have more bells & whistles, but at the cost of sonics. Resale value sucks for any large format console. Figure it will be worthless when you're done with it in a few years. Either that or they will make a comeback and be worth double what you paid for it.

FYI, I recently priced my Orion (48X16X48 w/ 120 inputs & automation) and the retail on it right now is pushing $60,000US. I'd be lucky to get 10K for it if I sold it right now.

PS - $7500US sounds a tiny bit high, not a lot, but just a bit. Good luck.
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Vault View Post
I dont want to make the wrong desicion.

there is no wrong decision, both consoles will serve you well. so relax, do a little research if you have time, flip a coin if you don't... then buy one of the consoles and get on with the joy.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
PS - $7500US sounds a tiny bit high, not a lot, but just a bit. Good luck.

consoles seem to be creeping back up.

regarding the original question, both consoles apparently have the same resale value. $7500, right?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Vault View Post
32 Channel Soundcraft DC2020 or 32 Channel D&R Orion (one broken fader). There both 7500 bucks. I dont want to make the wrong desicion. What better in terms of SOUND, FEATURES, and RESAIL VALUE! Thanks guys
I would go D&R. I got a standard Orion (32 mono, 6 stereo, patchbay one private non smoking owner) for half that, but was VERY lucky I think. I would have paid $6k.
Yes, the floating groups are excellent. The sound is excellent. From what I have heard reliability is excellent (and I have had no issues). They still make them and the company is a good one.

I think the DC2020 may have more features, but that is more to go wrong and I had a TS24. Great desk, but all the switches crackled after a while and a power supply went down.
I agree that those prices are a touch higher than I HAVE seen, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth paying. If the condition is great, I'd go for the orion but haggle....

http://www.d-r.nl

they have brochures and manuals online I believe
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

I love my D&R 4000 mk-II. Great open sound and really easy to service. I was looking very seriously at the Orion until I found a great deal on mine (and Ice T had done a record on it, so it had the mojoi!!!!)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search