The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slates Virtual Microphone System
Old 20th January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Slates Virtual Microphone System

Just received an email about this and i have to say i'm excited.

My budget never is big enough to buy the iconic microphones. Maybe this will be the solution.

Anyone have some more information about this?

Steven?

From the email:

A World Of Classic Microphones and Preamps for Your Studio

Imagine having a microphone locker filled with the world's most classic vintage and modern microphones. Audition dozens of microphones on any source to find the perfect match. Then pair your microphone with the ideal microphone preamplifier to finalize the recording chain of your dreams. With the VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM from Slate Digital, it is now a reality.

Slate Digital will be showing off the VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM at NAMM 2014 by having an actual A/B of a famous vintage 47 microphone right alongside the new Slate VMS system for all trade-show visitors to hear for themselves! Visit booth #6921

More information at Slate Digital Introduces the VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM

And a youtube movie and Steven singing at THE VIRTUAL MICROPHONE SYSTEM from SLATE DIGITAL - YouTube
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I wonder if this will go down as a game changer or as a forgotten industry dud.

Probably somewhere between the two.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That video looks pretty interesting. Depending on the price, it could be an amazing solution for lots of people.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I just watched the video. One thing I notice: I like the tonal quality of Steven Slate's voice much better when he's talking and not singing. I couldn't really hear any difference with the modeling but that may be the voice and the YouTube sonics.

What do I think of it? Well, get me VCC in AAX so that I can update to PT 11 for Chrissake!
Old 20th January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Game changer? I would say as much as the Axe FX II if it is executed as well and sounds as good.

I think it seriously depends on who Slate is targeting here. Large studios with large budgets and huge mic closets obviously won't benefit much from this (although they will still add it to their arsenal). If he is trying to target the $2500 - $3000 price range for the small to medium studio, and it really works as well as advertised, it could be a game changer for "project" guys like myself.

As for being the be-all/end-all solution...it will probably fall somewhere like the Axe FX II...is it going to do away with the vintage gear industry? No...Some guys are just going to continue using their gear libraries, some guys are just stuck in the "good ol' days," (which is completely fine) and some people just love the feeling of using old gear. I get it...I would love to own one or two of each of all of these vintage classics...but it just isn't going to happen. This could be a great solution for that and for most applications.
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Didn't we have another game changer with the focusrite liquid channel? The video didn't over market it like Slate though..
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This oughta be a delightful, insightful conversation ...
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So if it's not convolution, not filters/EQ, and not impulse response, then what is it?

Oh, probably all three. ;P
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think it's hilarious, to see where technology has brought us. I prefer trying to acquire gear and honing my skills, and I have all the time in the world.....
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the coveted sounds of yesteryear are becoming commodity special effects and i say: amen!
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The first thing I thought of was the mic modeling from years ago by Antares and Roland. Has to be better than that garbage, right?
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
How does this accommodate proximity effect, polar patterns, and mic positions? Take the lowly 57 that nobody would ever dream of modelling: you move that sucker an inch on a snare drum and it sounds completely different. For an effect, this could be useful, but you can't possibly consider this to be a replacement to the real thing? And how do you pair your real mic with this? Again, if I record an acoustic guitar with with that same 57, and then add the KM84 plugin, what am I getting, a sum of the two? That doesn't sound appealing to me.
Old 21st January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
The first thing I thought of was the mic modeling from years ago by Antares and Roland. Has to be better than that garbage, right?
I wish I could give this multiple thumbs up on the little indicator.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have an open mind for everything I'll reserve final judgement when I hear it for myself.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I wish I could give this multiple thumbs up on the little indicator.
I wish they'd fix fg-x.
L.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
How does this accommodate proximity effect, polar patterns, and mic positions? Take the lowly 57 that nobody would ever dream of modelling: you move that sucker an inch on a snare drum and it sounds completely different. For an effect, this could be useful, but you can't possibly consider this to be a replacement to the real thing? And how do you pair your real mic with this? Again, if I record an acoustic guitar with with that same 57, and then add the KM84 plugin, what am I getting, a sum of the two? That doesn't sound appealing to me.
How does Slates system get air flow, energy and electrical transfer

In my best John Macenroe voice….

You can't be serious.

Cheers
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I say he is a genius. He has worked out a way to sell hardware and software together. Avid will be jealous. goof

...Oh! will it work??? Can anyone say liquid channel?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
Didn't we have another game changer with the focusrite liquid channel? The video didn't over market it like Slate though..
Just read this Musicl. Yes.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Slate is a smart guy, he knows how to make products that make people listen up. Basically this is the concept of the Antares Mic Mod plugin, just with some twists to make it more precise and predictable and as a side benefit, with more profit by selling the "matched" hardware as a prerequisite for the plugin to work. Imho the concept and results of the Antares Mic Mod are way better and way more useful than anyone ever dared to admit publicly. I can´t think of a plugin that has been taken less serious and that has been ridiculed more than the MicMod. However, given a good source mic has been used, there are some outstandingly useful combinations in there.
Now taking the same approach with a plugin that is matched to a specific mic (the bundeled slate mic) makes sure that the sonic results are consistent and good, so this is a nice thing. However, the need to buy a specific preamp is totally unnecessary imho as any decent preamp has clear enough sonics as to serve as a perfectly good source, same goes for the AD converter.
But I see a possible strategy behind this: In order to not be ridiculed by the gear community, it makes total sense to sell a complete hardware/software package that retails at a not too low price. It simply avoids that the entire thing gets discredited as a cheap software gizmo like it happened to the Mic Mod.
Nonetheless I am curious how it sounds and holds up, I own most Slate Digital products and like them a lot, so I guess this new one won´t dissapoint either. To me it would be interesting though to get a software only version that changes the need for the slate mic and pre against some standard mics that most studios have as a source...u87ai, 414buls, 414xls, phantom c, stuff like that.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think you've all missed the biggest claim ever made by a pro audio company....

A mic with a completely flat frequency response? A preamp that doesn't change the sound in any way? A converter that is so clear that it doesn't make any difference to the sound?

Ladies and Gentlemen....

This is 'Apparently' the worlds best converter. For all of us looking to shape our sound using expensive Mics and pres, and then have it unaltered in the A/D conversion - this is the 'best converter in the world'. For all of us who want perfectly accurate monitoring - Slate can 'Apparently' make you D/A conversion that is the best ever invented.

These are HUGE claims. If it's true, these are 3 pieces of hardware in one bundle that other companies have been striving to create for many many decades.

And if the hardware doesn't do what is claimed - then the plugin is useless

If all of this is true - throw 32 channels of this conversion into a box for me and you'll have my cash in 10 secs
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim View Post
I think you've all missed the biggest claim ever made by a pro audio company....

A mic with a completely flat frequency response? A preamp that doesn't change the sound in any way? A converter that is so clear that it doesn't make any difference to the sound?

Ladies and Gentlemen....

This is 'Apparently' the worlds best converter. For all of us looking to shape our sound using expensive Mics and pres, and then have it unaltered in the A/D conversion - this is the 'best converter in the world'. For all of us who want perfectly accurate monitoring - Slate can 'Apparently' make you D/A conversion that is the best ever invented.

These are HUGE claims. If it's true, these are 3 pieces of hardware in one bundle that other companies have been striving to create for many many decades.

If all of this is true - throw 32 channels of this conversion into a box for me and you'll have my cash in 10 secs
And you get 1 microphone, one preamp and one channel of conversion for around $1K.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonebytim View Post

Ah, that´s just overblown marketing talk. Of course the meaning is not completly flat resonse but "flat enough to achieve the goal", same for the preamp and the converter. imho it does not matter a bit if the marketing words match the technology, it only matters if the goal has been or has not been achieved sonically for certain applications like vocals, guitars, drums, etc. So for me it would only be useless if it does not achieve the results that it claims to, subjectively "perfect" emlations of the mic and preamp combos. Well, even then it could still be useful by providing useful sonic changes that might be hard or impossible to achieve with other tools. Let´s wait and hear as soon as it is out there.

ps - by the way I think it is possible to match two mics frequency curves and harmonic behaviour pretty well. I am however sceptical about the transient behaviour, which I think is the hardest part to "model". However, one won´t be able to shoot it out, because noone here has the exact mic an pre chain available that was used for the modeling.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cant wait to demo it against my antares MM1 hardware if this was plugin only it would be a very nice special effect indeed. Ill reserve judgement until i demo it.
I think the overall steve jobs approach of steve is quite remarkable. Its targeted at a frustrated young audience that cant afford the real toys and blindly (how could they ever shoot the software against the real thing in the first place?) jump onto the fancy train. Proper comparison tests are hard to come by and they exist the results are not revealed. Really a very agressive approach with a big claim: We beat physics!
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

28 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Seems like a plausible idea: make a mic with a very specific, flat and "characterless" response, then model classic mics and apply the model to the relatively flat signal. Slate already has comparison files posted. He really knows how to make the analogue guys heads explode. I expect it will do what's claimed very well.

The thing don't like about it is that at heart it rests on really conventional thinking. there are a bunch of conventions about what mics people need to use. There are a bunch of conventions about what compressors everybody needs to have. Sometimes these conventions are conventional for good reasons, but sometimes conventions are just that--the mark of orthodoxy and unimaginative thinking. I'm certainly prone to this--I have a lot of "conventional" plugins, and a lot of times I only like them because they're familiar-sounding, they sound like that sound on some other recording. There's a ridiculous amount of conventional thinking in what is supposed to be a creative business.

Rather than imitating somebody's mic locker, and making a fetish out of antique gear it would be interesting to just have variable controls that let you adjust the mic's apparent parameters--eq, add saturation, shape transients. That is, stuff we can already do.

Added: I suspect this will be like amp sims. I don't generally like amp sims, not because they DON'T sound like the original, but because they DO. It's like wearing somebody else's clothes.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hahahahahahahahahahahaha lol.
Old 21st January 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The thing that sucks is it will probably still be expensive enough that I would buy an API preamp or something with the money first, or even Warm audio gear.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post

Added: I suspect this will be like amp sims. I don't generally like amp sims, not because they DON'T sound like the original, but because they DO. It's like wearing somebody else's clothes.
Really! I must be listening to the wrong ones. They are pretty good and certainly usable, but not a direct replacement.
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Oh well, let's wait until these things are here and judge then. At least it's a more serious attempt than the MicModeller. Good luck with these, Mr. Slate. I'm all for new/good tools.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack View Post
How does Slates system get air flow, energy and electrical transfer

In my best John Macenroe voice….

You can't be serious.

Cheers
well that's just the point (and probably why there isn't as much market saturation as there is for vintage compressors and EQ plugins).

Might be an novel effect, but the marketing spin is a bit over the top as far as having access to "a microphone locker filled with the world's most classic vintage and modern microphones".
Old 21st January 2014
Deleted 99dc753
I think the idea is great special if it works like advertised.
Personally I prefer using the mics I have and own even if there is no 47.
📝 Reply