The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slates Virtual Microphone System
Old 21st May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
As much as we'd like to think that microphones, especially vintage mics, contain magical fairy dust and mystical properties... It's just not reality.

Like any piece of sound gear, their sonics are the summation of frequency response, saturation, phase, and harmonics. Polar patterns and proximity ratios are easy to reproduce mechanically, which is another reason we have a microphone integrated in the VMS.

So anyway, we continue to work on VMS, and I believe it will be a truly wonderful tool.

Thanks for your continued interest.

Cheers,
Steven
As much as we'd like to think that software emulations, especially slate ones, contain magical fairy dust and mystical properties... It's just not reality.

Like any piece of software their sonics are limited by the density and detail of the algorythm that most likely dont matches the detail of physical interaction the real world provides.

You cant make a filet steak from minced meat anymore
Old 21st May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What exactly is inside the Microphone, what parts? and same for the pre and converters? What are the guts of these hardware pieces? Once they are released we will know anyway?
I read that the cost would be $1000 is this true?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Are there any test files hidden in this thread that also show the unprocessed output of the large diaphram source mike in comparison what the conversion algos can do with that?

i ve tried to climb thru the thread in the last hour..but need to get to work now .. any hints on which page i need to look?

I personally would find tests that are supposed to show differences more revealing than the ones that are made to show similaritys..

To know what a system can do for me in production i need to know where its limitations are. Test that bring the test object into difficult terain are therefor more revealing than a standard "pro singer that would sound great on any mike in perfect distance and level" type of test.

Especially since singers with too much silbiance energy are the biggest thread for vintage valve mikes.. and it would be therfore really intersting to know if a emulation of a german mike would survive a german lyrics with al the hard S and TZ sounds.. actually a reason vintage german gear is usually so clean and smooth in the high mid and transient area. German language produces many sharp sounds.. so the mikes and amps needed to deal with that.

anyway

but even when a test is designed to show similaritys..it would be good..if not mandatory to deliver the full set one would experience in practical studio work too..

1) Original file form the mic output..
2) file from processor file
3) file from the original mike preamp combo

Such a test shows how far such an process gets youtowards the original..

i wouldnt say that it would reduce the usefullness of the product to the slightest when it is not matching the original to 100% aslong it is shown that the characterof the source mike gets transformed to a total new level..

But In any case i would like to know how good the source mikes do the job alone..since software comes and goes but hardware stays.. so the unprocessed sonics of the hardware are a vital aspect of the package.. A mike is a mike..

does the amp/ad has a wordclock input? how is the box synced? are all relevant samplerates supported?

can the preamp be used with any mike?
Old 21st May 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Read through this whole thread, every post, and the only useful posts were the ones that asked Steven a real question and got some info about the system. The rest of it is just peoples opinions before they have even heard it. Whether your a pro, or a hobbyist, how could you not find a use for something like this?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedos View Post
Read through this whole thread, every post, and the only useful posts were the ones that asked Steven a real question and got some info about the system. The rest of it is just peoples opinions before they have even heard it. Whether your a pro, or a hobbyist, how could you not find a use for something like this?
I have absolutely no use for this and I guess I'm not the only one. So, to each it's own, I don't question people who find it useful or even a revelation, so please don't question people who don't.
Old 23rd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
PEARCE
Old 23rd May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
I have absolutely no use for this and I guess I'm not the only one. So, to each it's own, I don't question people who find it useful or even a revelation, so please don't question people who don't.
Old 26th August 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi Steven!

I got one question about VMS. Is it also possible to use any kind of mic i have, not using the mic simulation but using the preamp simulation only?
Not that i dont trust you, i'm sure VMS is killer...but that would be quiet cool too

cheerz
Lars
Old 18th September 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
So if it's not convolution, not filters/EQ, and not impulse response, then what is it?

Oh, probably all three. ;P

Its physically modelling the electronic circuitry, isn't it? At least for the internal electronics... I don't know how they go about modelling a microphone capsule. But I'm willing to bet that its a helluva lot better than Antares attempts at microphone modelling...
Old 18th September 2014 | Show parent
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
Then why post on this? just to get your opinion out the about something you don't care about?
Old 13th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
how does IK mic room compare to this ?
Old 13th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
how does IK mic room compare to this ?
No one knows because no one has one yet.
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
OK...I read the thread...Great idea but I have a headache. Posts ended in 2014???? What is the ETA on this? Are there any reviews of it anywhere?
Old 12th February 2016 | Show parent
idt
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
OK...I read the thread...Great idea but I have a headache. Posts ended in 2014???? What is the ETA on this? Are there any reviews of it anywhere?
You know, it's really funny you say that. I stopped by the Slate site this morning to look at something else and saw the VMS announcement. In my mind I was thinking "Didn't they announce this like 2 years ago?" So I came here to see, and lo and behold, that was indeed the case and someone else had resurrected this thread not too long before I got to it. LOL. I assumed it had just turned into Vaporware.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i remember listening to the test´s and not being really convinced... but read Slate´s words trying to sell it anyway... i guess they are still trying to make it work
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
i remember listening to the test´s and not being really convinced... but read Slate´s words trying to sell it anyway... i guess they are still trying to make it work
That's great that you like listening tests. I'm preparing a bunch more for the final launch, I'd love your opinion on what you think!

Yes we announced the VMS two years ago, and then stopped all production to update our plugins to AAX and 64bit as has been said many times. We resumed development last year. It's shipping soon. Beta testers are quite convinced.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'd very much like to hear from the beta testers.
Old 6th July 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I do you need an additional d/a converter to the preamp? Can't see any usb to connect it to the pc..?
Thanks
📝 Reply