The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What do you use for subtle chorus / doubling / fattening of vocal tracks?
Old 15th October 2006
Lives for gear

What do you use for subtle chorus / doubling / fattening of vocal tracks?

What do you use when you want to go after that subtle cool chorus like effect on vocals that fills them out nicely? Anyone tried out the TC Fireworx? Anything similar to that box in plugin form?
Old 15th October 2006
Gear Addict

Waves doubler is your friend
Old 15th October 2006
Waves Doubler, but if you don't want to go the Waves route, try Audio Damage's Discord2.
Old 15th October 2006
Gear Addict

If you want it free and simple, try mda detune: http://mda.smartelectronix.com/effects.htm
Old 15th October 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcan View Post
If you want it free and simple, try mda detune: http://mda.smartelectronix.com/effects.htm
The bummer about the MDA one is that it's only a single-voice detune. The Waves and AudioDamage one give you the ability to pitch the left and right side up or down independently.

But, it is free!
Old 15th October 2006
Lives for gear

Roland Dimension D (hardware), haven't tried the plug-in but it just might do the trick aswell.
Old 15th October 2006
Lives for gear

H3000 or DSP-4000 "Dual Shift" - +9 on one side and -9 on the other. Add in a little delay of 10 - 20 ms on each side with an SPX-90II or plug-in delay.
Old 15th October 2006
Lives for gear

Copy the track. Pull one 6 samples before and push the other 6 samples after. Pan to taste.
Old 15th October 2006
Lives for gear

Beside the Dimension D the coolest subtle chorus thing (just for making mono tracks sound like stereo) is the Alesis Midiverb 2.

Buy it for 50.-€, choose preset 60-62 and you're done. I'm not joking!
Old 16th October 2006
Lives for gear

Damn I had a midiverb like 80 years ago... dont recall caring for it though.
Old 16th October 2006
Lives for gear

Right, except for Presets 60-62!
Old 16th October 2006
Jai guru deva om

Actually I used the Midiverb II chorus on vocals back in like the mid 90's and found it to be useful in a not too obvious kind of way!

War
Old 16th October 2006
i didn't try it but i've heard of people using the DMX-16 for it
Old 16th October 2006
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
i didn't try it but i've heard of people using the DMX-16 for it
Are you thinking of the AMS Rmx 16? If so, the box that you're actually thinking of is the AMS 1580. You can't find them, they break a lot, and they go for $4000 so that's probably a moot point anyway.

The Eventide H3000, like someone said, is perfect. The micropitchshift algo. is what I'd use.

Even Digidesigns stereo delay plugin will do this.
Old 16th October 2006
Gear Nut

If the H3000 is too steep you can check out a Digitech Studio Vocalist. You can do some pitching with it to thicken things up. I see them on Ebay for not too much $$$.

Old 16th October 2006
Lives for gear

I like a doubled vocal track vocaligned. Works great. Other things I've tried was putting an extra mic a foot or so away from the singer. I did it once with a pair of Earthworks actually, C-800 and a pair of Earthworks for "stereo fx". Sounded kinda wicked.

Post recording, I'd go with Robs suggestion. Can't top good ole Eventide. Another good "trick" is to re-amp a slightly delayed vox track through an amp/speaker (guitar or monitor, whatever) and move the mic around just ever so slightly. If you do this through a PCM42 delay it will slightly vary the delay time and you get a nifty effect.

enough outta me for a while...
Old 16th October 2006
Gear Head

Roland SDX-330
at about 200$ is THE tool for the job.
Old 16th October 2006
Lives for gear

I wish I had something cooler to use but.....I'm using the Digirack Pitch and Delay plugz, and get some pretty good results. Although not very slutty.
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Addict

The TC Helicon Voice Doubler is exactly what you're looking for. It's the modern day take on the Eventide micro pitch preset but with humanization algorithms. They cost as much as a used H3000, but you they'll still be working for the next 15 years and it's one less fan blowing hot air in your room.

http://www.tc-helicon.com/VoiceDoubler
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

If you don't have a H3000, Eventide Quadravox or Octavox will eat Waves Doubler for breakfast.
Old 17th October 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
I wish I had something cooler to use but.....I'm using the Digirack Pitch and Delay plugz, and get some pretty good results. Although not very slutty.
Agreed. I like the Digi Pitch plug on an aux, pitch shifted +9 cents left, -9 cents right followed by a lowpass filter at 15KHz.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener View Post
Right, except for Presets 60-62!
Midiverb 2 #99 is also a useful one for a special effect delay.

As for a cool chorus background vocal effect....
The SPX90 Symphonic #13 is a nice chorusy backup vocal treatment.
Old 17th October 2006
Sony M7 or DPS-V77.

Enough said.

If you want something more AMS DMX1580, H3000 or TC 1210.
Old 17th October 2006
Lives for gear

for subtle chorus - Roland Dimension D

for doubling - when ever possible I let the singer sing twice

for fattening - should already sound fat after recording, if not I use just the eq of my board (Siemens C4) plus driving the hole channel-circuit carefully in it's saturation

Andreas

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search