The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
micdaddy.com ev mic repair
Old 10th January 2014
Lives for gear

micdaddy.com ev mic repair

hey guys,

I was chatting with this company last year about repairing my PL-20. Sometime has passed, and i'd like to send out a mic to them.

I'm just having trouble getting a reply through the email address on their web site. The main guy Ben also has a gearslutz account, so I tried a PM since that was how we were communicating last year. nothing there either.

Anybody know if they have shut down? Maybe too busy producing albums lately!

Anyhow, could anyone maybe refer me to a different EV repair guy? i need the capsule swapped out on my PL-20.

thanks for the help!
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Addict

He used to come on the chat but I haven't seen him in a long time either.
Old 11th January 2014
Lives for gear

Sucks for me.... Really want to get this mic back on track
Old 11th January 2014
Gear Addict

I saw him pop on the chat yesterday but didn't make it in time to tell him he was being missed
Old 14th January 2014
Gear interested

Does anyone know what happened with this guy? He has my RE-20 and he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. I would like to get that mic back.......
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

Thats a shame. I'm sure there's a way to get in touch with the dude. Was mic daddy a listed company?
Old 20th January 2014
Lives for gear

I've had a number of mics fixed up by him and even purchased some from him.
Old 20th January 2014
Gear Head

I had a very frustrating transaction with MicDaddy (Ben) that started last October. Sorry for the long post, but here are the details.

10/20/13 - I emailed Ben that evening asking about his services and costs.

10/21/13 - The following morning I got a quick reply from Ben detailing what he can do, what the normal costs are, preferred payment method, etc. He shared that "Turn around lately has been ~10 days." I knew I would need the mics for a project starting at the beginning of December so that was perfect - they'd be back in plenty of time (I thought).

10/22/13 - I shipped the mics to Ben via UPS and forwarded him the tracking number and return shipping info. I never got any response or acknowledgment from Ben on this email.

10/25/13 - UPS tracking showed that the mics were delivered.

11/16/13 - Figuring that it had been roughly 10 days since Ben received my mics, and I still hadn't heard anything from him, I emailed asking for an update. No response.

11/20/13 - I emailed again, asking Ben to update me on the status of the mics or, if he was unable to work on the mics, to please return them to me.

11/21/13 - Ben responded saying, "Sorry for the delay, I'll have a quote for you today." I replied to Ben, thanking him for getting back to me, reminding him that I was hoping to have the mics back by December and asking him to do whatever he can to expedite the request. I never received a quote that day.

11/25/13 - I received an email from Ben stating, "Sorry for not getting back sooner. I'll have your Mic finished this evening and a quote to you later this afternoon. We will have no problem getting the Mic back to you by December." I replied that I had sent him two mics and asked him to clarify that both mics would be done. Ben replied again, "Yes to be finished tonight."

11/26/13 - Ben emailed, "Each Mic total is $79 for a total of $158. I can ship them out as early as today. Please submit $158 via PayPal." I sent full payment via PayPal that evening.

11/29/13 - Again, I heard nothing back from Ben, so I emailed again asking if he received the payment and if he'd be shipping the mics soon. No response.

12/02/13 - Sessions started without my PL-20s.

12/03/13 - I emailed Ben again asking him what the heck was going on. No response.

12/05/13 - At this point I was frustrated as hell. I emailed Ben again telling him that I'm shocked at how badly he's handled this whole thing and letting him know that it feels like I'm being ripped off.

12/06/13 - 6:22am Ben replied, "Sorry for not get back with you sooner, I'll fetch the tracking # and forward to you tonight." I replied to Ben at 7:04am, trying to clarify if the mics have already shipped. No response. At 8:23 that evening I emailed again letting Ben know I was still waiting for the tracking info.

12/08/13 - Still no tracking info. I emailed Ben again regarding the tracking number.

12/09/13 - Still nothing. I emailed the following to Ben:
"This is ridiculous. Enough with the BS. I want a response from you within the next 24 hours answering the following questions:

1) Have my mics been refurbished?

2) Have my mics been shipped?

3) What is the tracking number for the shipment?

If you haven’t taken care of them, at least do me the courtesy of being honest and explaining exactly what is going on."

No reply, again!

12/11/13 - Finally, Ben responded, "Sorry for the run around and long delay. mics are in the mail
www.usps.com
VIXXXXXXXXXUS
You will see them by Friday/Saturday
sorry again for taking so long"

I finally got the mics back. 10 days turned into 7 weeks! The mics appear to be functioning correctly and the foam was replaced, but it was series of long delays, missed promise dates and extremely poor communication. If Ben had just been honest, explained whatever was going on and provided a real date, I would have been OK. As it was, I will never do business with Ben again.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear interested

Well after posting here I again heard back from Ben@micdaddy.

He promised my RE-20 was in line for repair in the upcoming week and gave me the option of that repair or him simply sending it back. He said he's had more work than he can handle and some problems.

So I gave him another chance and asked for the repair and offered to pay by paypal which was suggested by him earlier.

That was January 28th. No emails from Ben after that even after one more reminder a couple weeks back.

The RE-20 had been shipped to Ben around October 20 and he sent an email acknowledging receipt of same.

I feel bad for this guy if he has personal problems and/or work related issues but how much slack can one give someone? He still has my mic and I want it back.

The Postal Inspector has been a help in the past with my ebay business but that option is like using a large hammer.

This mic was shipped via USPS and Ben even sent an email saying he received it.

Maybe someone here has some insight before I make a decision.
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

He has my re20 and stopped responding to my emails months ago. The last email I got was nov/12/2013 and said:

Yes I received your Mic. I'll have a quote sent over tonight.

Thanks
&
Best Regards

Ben

Since then he hasn't responded to any of my emails
Old 2nd May 2014
Here for the gear
I have a bunch of EV microphones sent to him 6 month ago payed in advance and everything, now he is not returning my emails.

If someone know him and would be kind to PM his cell number I would appreciate it or at least give us some information that he is alive and kicking.

Best
Henrik Heinrich
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear Nut

Ya I would love to know how to get a hold of him also
Old 3rd May 2014
Gear Nut

Talked to him yesterday. Seems like he's overwhelmed with word
Old 9th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromyReno View Post
Talked to him yesterday. Seems like he's overwhelmed with work
That's no excuse for him not responding to customers' emails in a timely manner.
Old 9th November 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
That's no excuse for him not responding to customers' emails in a timely manner.
Yea I still haven't gotten my mic either so obviously he is not good for his word
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search